Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 table lines not behaving in new style

Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We want our table style to be solid black lines, 1 pt in width, 3 pts padding all around.  The new default in RH8 is the classic HTML style instead of the 1 pt black lines from RH7...! 

So I created a style for Tables in my custom style sheet and even though I select 'all borders' in the drop down with black 1pt lines I only seem to be affecting the table border, not the cells.  ??

table stye.png

When I try selecting Horizontal or Vertical borders, I lose lines...not gain them.  How do I set this for all cell borders/table boarders and make it work?

Thank you very much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The table editor is a bit of a challenge.

I found the easiest way is to apply borders to Top Left and Bottom Right, as shown in your screen shot. That will give you the same borders all around. Then you can apply a border to just the table, rather than the cells.

Play with this in a test project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter!

The point is...that doesn't work for me.  When I select 'all borders' I get only Table borders...and no cell borders.  That's what I was trying to show with the arrows...the cell borders are missing.  Very strange...??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew I would have trouble with you! Sink some Dissident and then read again.

Don't use All Borders, use the two options I mentioned (just above All Borders). First one, then the other.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, wish I did have some Dissident!  This would be less painful!

I need to have borders on all cells.  When I use your Top Left corner and Bottom Right corner options, it only keeps one of them at a time and its for the table only.

peter.png

I simply want all cells/table bordered in 1 pt black solid lines.  And to be able to click that wonderful "Apply global table style' button and have it 'fix' any existing table that does not conform.

I'm beginning to think that is not possible....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to explain it better tomorrow.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pleasant dreams!  and thanks for your help Peter...you know I appreciate it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought...which may or may not help.

Have you tried using the "SimpleGridBlack" table template that comes with RH8? If you haven't already, you can apply it via Table Styles. Be sure to click Clean Table Inline Formatting to get rid of preexisting definitions. To get the results you describe, I had to manually apply this style to each table when converting from RH7 (a huge, albeit mindless, pain), but once that's done, you can reformat all tables on the fly simply by updating the Table Style definition.

7-19-2010 1-46-04 PM.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Boy...that looks a lot like what we want to do!  Let me check that out...and thanks for the tip on the 'clean table inline formatting'...thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp