Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert to .exe

Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make a *.exe file. I have compiled the software in Flash help pro. I tried converting them into exe with compilers but they have one problem the robohelp search doesnt work once compiled. So is there any way to compile into an exe file or is there some way to get the search to work ? Please help

- Chotu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Hi there

Note that I just tested by running the EXE. I didn't have time to burn to CD and test that way. I may try that at lunch today.

But running the EXE didn't prompt me for any Flash Security and the Search seemed to work. Although it was a bit sluggish.

In case you are interested, I used Natata eBook compiler to create the EXE. I just pointed to the FlashHelp output files and compiled them.

http://www.natata.com/

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why would you want to convert a FlashHelp Pro output to an exe?

It is designed to run on a server with RoboHelp Server installed.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to run it on a cd as an autorun. I'm not that good at compiling stuff at robohelp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 75 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

You will need to generate FlashHelp, not FlashHelp Pro as that only runs on a server as above.

Also I am not sure FlashHelp will run from a CD without giving some warning that you may not want. WebHelp would not have that problem.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks

Flash content can be made to work from CD with some additional free software and some minor modifications. I've had to sort this with Captivate projects that run from CD. Essentially the software is freeware that runs a very limited and lightweight Web server. Because the Flash player sees this as a web server it doesn't issue the normal errors it might otherwise issue when running outside of the software.

As for creating a single EXE from FlashHelp, it should be possible to accomplish as follows. I have created EXEs from WebHelp, so I can't imagine FlashHelp would be that much different. However, it could prove problematic to work from inside the EXE file. Only testing will truly tell.

Basically, you create the FlashHelp output and package it up inside an eBook compiler to create the EXE. It's how I package many of my eBooks. But I use WebHelp and not FlashHelp. I'm happy to try and test packaging a FlashHelp system as a EXE file to see how it will behave but it won't be able to happen until later this week. At the moment I'm sitting in the sanctuary of the church I attend where I'm assisting with a class. Tomorrow I'll be facilitating the second day of a Captivate class. I'm otherwise occupied most of the day on Wed. If I get some time before then I'll post back with results. Otherwise, don't expect to hear anything until perhaps Thursday.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried some of the ebook compilers most of them have one problem the flashhelp search doesnt work. I will looking forward to see what are your results 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Okay, preliminary results look promising. See if the following laughingly basic file seems to work on your end.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option might be Server2Go whereby what is on the CD will act as if it were on a server. Not simple but it works.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yessir! Tha's precisely the software I was saying could help overcome the issue.

So if this becomes a possibility, post back and I'll be happy to post the steps required to get that minimal install for the CD. There are some files and folders you are able to pare out of the mix.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll sure give it a try  thanks a lot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Note that I just tested by running the EXE. I didn't have time to burn to CD and test that way. I may try that at lunch today.

But running the EXE didn't prompt me for any Flash Security and the Search seemed to work. Although it was a bit sluggish.

In case you are interested, I used Natata eBook compiler to create the EXE. I just pointed to the FlashHelp output files and compiled them.

http://www.natata.com/

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Okay, just finished performing a small test. I burned the EXE and an autorun file to the CD and tested on a different PC. I was surprised to discover that it seemed to work without issue. Search worked but was sluggish as reported earlier.

So I believe we might safely conclude that packaging as EXE does allow the single file distribution, it may run from CD and the Flash Security doesn't block things. (I fully expected it to. So this was a surprise to me)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THanks but really sorry to disturb you again there seems to be some sort of error when trying to run the gold version of the natata ebook compiler. XP is giving a message that it has encountered a problem and needs to shutdown 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably need to contact Natata for assistance with that. I'm happy to share what I know, but it works fine for me. So I'm at a bit of a loss to explain.

I do seem to recall that there was a trial version. I was unable to unlock the trial using the credentials provided when I registered and had to use a link to download the actual Gold version. Then things were okay.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much for that software I managed to get hold of an older gold version which seems to run fine on my pc and the ebbok works as expected 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp