• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to get scores to an LMS other than SCORM?

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature list says Captivate can reports scores to a PHP script. I run Sakai. I'm a developer. I'm willing to do some integration. But I am not willing to implement SCORM, and the free SCORM implementations for Sakai doesn't seem in very good shape. If it's really possible for Captivate to report scores to a PHP script, that would be great.

I called Adobe support, but their web team doesn't seem to understand the question "can you give me documentation for what I need to do on the server to implement the supposed feature of reporting scores to a PHP script?"

Is this feature real? How would I actually use it?

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes, Adobe Captivate 5 has the capability to send the results of a quiz to a PHP file, in the Alternate Reporting workflow.

Following are the necessary steps :

1. You need to have a PHP server, where you need to place the PHP file. The template for the PHP file is located at :                                 C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\Templates\Publish\InternalServerReporting.php
  2. There are new reporting options available in the Quiz Preferences of Adobe Captivate. Select the Internal Server option after checking the Enable Reporting for this project check-box :                                                                                                                                                                         Quiz->Quiz Preferences->Reporting                                      1.JPG
  3. Click the configure button and enter the link of the PHP file, placed on your server. Also, put the appropriate names for the organization, department and course in the text-fields.                                     2.JPG

You can anytime modify the InternalServerReporting.php file as per the requirements.

With these settings, a Post Results button appears on the Result slide. When this button is clicked by the students at runtime, the results are sent to the PHP file.

Hope this helps!!!

Regards

Chinmay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can the PHP be on the remote server, instead of the local machine?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I am just an instructional designer. It seems to me that the PHP would be running on the LMS side, while the Captivate SWF is being played locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested this out with both the Cp5 output files (foo.htm, foo.swf, standard.js) and the internalServerReporting.php file on a remote server (same directory) and it worked fine. If you specify the location of the internalServerReporting.php file via an absolute URL (e.g. http://www.examples.com/fooproject/internalServerReporting.php), I think it should work regardless of the the various possible locations of the .htm and .php files, though security settings (either for Flash Player or for the web server) will probably get in the way if you try to run one local and the other remote, or if you try to run both remote but on different servers (though I'm going to test this latter option tomorrow).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an FYI, the two PHP files that Adobe provides with Cp5 are both in this location (on Windows XP, at least):

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Captivate 5\Templates\Publish

There is an internalServerReporting.php file and an internalserverread.php file. The latter threw an error on my server, but the former worked quite nicely. It creates a set of directories and files based on the department and course name specified in the quiz settings and then, when the results are submitted from the quiz, prompts for user name and email address. It uses the email address as a unique identifier for the user. And it writes a separate XML file for each user's quiz attempt. This entire directory structure can be downloaded from your server and parsed with the AdobeCaptivateQuizResultsAnalyzer AIR app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The internal server score reporting solution in cp5 is what we really need but all our internal servers are running ASP. Has anyone translated the internalServerReporting.php file to an ASP script? That would be easier for me than trying to shove IT in a different direction. Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks!

Charlie Mullin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got this working fine.  The Captivate export had to be on the same server as the php script that was gathering the $_POST data.

Is there any way to auto-post the test data?  As it currently works, the student has to click to post the data.

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 15, 2010 Aug 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Currently there is no action exposed for auto-posting the results. You can log a feature request for this :

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=5

Regards

Chinmay Baid

http://blogs.adobe.com/captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I submitted a feature request for an action or method either exposed to javascript or which uses flashvars to

know whether, what, and how to post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can figure out what the function is that Post button calls, or if Adobe can just tell us (?), then it should be possible to automate it with an Advanced Interaction?

But maybe what that Post button does requires a bunch of internalized CP events, which is then passed to a JS function, so maybe it's not that easy 😉

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources