• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player not working on all sites

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I originally posted this on the Flashplayer 10.1 Desktop forum.  Didn't get any answers, thought I'd post here as well. 

Windows XP Professional SP3

Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS (2 cards)

10 Mbs cable internet connection and do not use a proxy server to connect to internet.

After updating to Flash 10.1, I'm having a problem on a handful of sites when the flash-enabled media player starts, I get a "Buffering" message for a few seconds, then the audio/video starts and runs for a few seconds, then stops and the "Buffering" message reappears   For instance, I have this problem on the NPR music site (http://www.npr.org/music/)  and Daily Show site (http://www.thedailyshow.com/), but most of the other Flash capable sites I've been to work fine (like YouTube, Yahoo).  

I contacted the NPR site about this issue and they said "they were unable to replicate the problem."

I have this problem on IE8, Firefox 3.6.3, and Chrome 5, 

BTW - I even tried reverting back to Flash 10.0.45 2 and the problem still occurs.  I have since gone back to Flash 10.1.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2010 Jul 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I don't know if you have tried to turn off the Hardware Acceleration feature or not. It is turned ON by default and many users have had improvement by turning it off. You can go to youtube and bring up any video, right click on the video and click on Settings; this should bring up the Display Setting when you can UNcheck it.

See if that helps.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off Hardware Acceleration did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I'm appending to my last response.

Turning off Hardware Acceleration did not help in IE8.

However it did work in Firefox on the NPR music site but not on the Daily Show site  .  Unfortunately for it to continue to work I have to clear out the browsing history and reboot.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PR636, Another poster was having almost the same issue you are having with particular sites. He found out that the

BBC site needed to have the third party content allowed. Here is the link that you can take a look at.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager03.html

If you want the thread, let me know. I'll need to find it.

P.S. Here is the thread, look for Post # 10, 12 & 17 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/677670?tstart=0

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb   Adding a P.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I read the post you are refering to and checked for that. 

I have the "Allow third party Flash content..." and the "Store common Flash components...." boxes both checked. 

Thanks

PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well we have covered most of the solutions that have helped other users. It is also recommended to update the graphic and video drivers to the latest versions. I don't know if you have done that, but it is worth a try.

Does your Anti-Virus program have any add ons installed into the browser? Keep in mind that Flash Player is a browser plug-in and works thru the browser, so any add on will not only have an effect on the browser itself but on Flash Player.

Now Firefox 3.6.6 and Flash Player 10.1 are not working well together and many reports of crashes and conflicts are evident on the forum. FF(Firefox) version 3.6.6 was issued to fix vs 3.6.4 and this had to do with the load time of websites. The 3.6.4 timeout was not long enough and FF then issued the 3.6.6 to extend the timeout. FF designed the 3.6.4 and then the 3.6.6 to crash Flash Player when the site didn't load within that time. The reason being it would not crash the entire FF browser.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My anti-virus software is Free AVG.  There is an add-on called AVG Safe Search, which I just disabled in Firefox.   

However doing that did not fix the playback issue on the NPR music site. 

Speaking of video cards, I am getting one replaced (I have two).  The faulty one works, but it slows my PC down

the longer I go before rebooting.  I'm waiting for the Fed-Ex guy to deliver it.  Maybe replacing the card will fix this. 

Drivers are up-to-date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well I hope that will fix it. The AVG Safe Search shouldn't conflict, but if you have the LinkScanner I would turn that off. It is sort of a known add on that does conflict.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I installed the new video card.  It didn't fix the Flash problem.

The LinkScanner portion of AVG, whether it's off or on, doesn't seem to make a difference.

This is really frustrating, considering that up to about a month ago I never had a problem with Flash.

Appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well that is disappointing. What is interesting is that you say this issue occurs with FP vs 10.0.45.2 as well.

You can post back your Flash files if you like. I have to leave now for dinner. Will post back a couple of other things to check. The Shockwave Flash Object in the IE add ons should be Flash10h.ocx and Enabled. In the FF broswers in the plug-ins the SWF vs 10.1.53.64 should be Enabled.

Will post back later.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I uninstalled Flash v10.1 (using the uninstall program Adobe recommends) and loaded v10.0.45.2 into IE8 and problem still occured.    I tried to load the older version into FF3.6.6, but FF wouldn't recognize it and would prompt me to get the latest version of Flash.

Shockwave Player v11 is loaded and enabled in IE8.

Shockwave Flash  v10.1.53.64 is loaded and enabled in FF3.6.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks. Now I think we need to take a look at your Flash files. Go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash Open Flash and post back all files listed. The NPSWF file(s) need a right click and then click on Properties to obtain the version numbers.

Now the Shockwave Flash vs 11 that you indicated which should show as an ActiveX Control in your IE add ons is for the Shockwave Player which is another program.

The SWF would be the plug-in add on for FF vs 10.1.53.64 which is there and Enabled. So we'll know a little more when you post back the Flash Player files.

I take it that you have not Installed Flash Player in IE? Since the Shockwave Flash Object..Flash10h.ocx was not among the add ons you listed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I have Flash installed in IE8, Firefox and Chrome.

Here's what you requested:

Flash10e.ocx   v10.0.45.2   (should this be a different version?)

Flash10h.ocx   v10.1.53.64

FlashInstall.log

flashplayer.xpt

FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.dll   v10.1.53.64

FlashUtil10h_ActiveX.exe   v10.1.53.64

FlashUtil10h_Plugin.exe   v10.1.53.64

genuinst.exe   v6.0.2800.1531

install.log

KB923789.inf

NPSWF32.dll  v10.1.53.64

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the info on the Flash files. The Flash10e.ocx 10.0.45.2 is the last version and for some reason did not get Uninstalled. The rest of the Flash files for IE are correct as well as the Flash files for Firefox.

The key to this is the IE add on. Using IE go to Tools, manage add ons and Toolbars and Extensions. At the bottom I think there is a Show all add ons. Look in all categories for Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...Flash10h.ocx and be Enabled. Now I think it may be listed as Flash10e.ocx since that version of the Flash file is Installed.

I would like you to check for this add on first. If it is listed as Flash10h.ocx and Enabled then that is what we want. However if it is the Flash10e.ocx, enabled or not, then go back to your Flash files and right click on that Flash10e.ocx and Remove/Delete it. Then Reboot and go back to the IE add ons and see if that Flash10e.ocx has been updated to Flash10h.ocx and Enabled.

I am hoping this will work and you won't have to Uninstall. If it doesn't then I want to give you the instructions for an offline Uninstall and Install. It seems to work better from the Desktop.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I show the Shockwave Flash Object v10.1.53.64 as having file Flash10h.ocx and it is Enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ok that is good. Then that is what is conflicting with the Flash10.ocx in the Flash folder. Go back there, right click on it and Remove/Delete and then Reboot. See if this helps. This should take care of IE.

Then try those sites with IE and see if there is an improvement.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

Excerpt from your last post:

"Then that is what is conflicting with the Flash10.ocx in the Flash folder. Go back there, right click on it and Remove/Delete and then Reboot."

I'm not sure I understand your response.  I think you want me to delete file Flash10e.ocx, since this is the old version, right?  

Thanks

PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

Instead of deleting, I moved file Flash10e.ocx from the Flash folder to my desktop and renamed it, just in case. 

I then rebooted my system.  I'm still having the same problem with IE8 and now I'm having the problem again in Firefox.

To reiterate I show the Shockwave Flash Object v10.1.53.64 as having file Flash10h.ocx and it is Enabled. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PR, Sorry for the delay, company in town. Just double check the Flash folder and make sure all of the Flash files are as you listed in post 13 but without the Flash10e.ocx. And I see you have noted the SWO in IE add ons is 10.1.53.64 and Enabled. Also the SWF 10.1.53.64 plug-in for Firefox. If all of these are correct as listed, then we have confirmed that your Flash files for IE and FF and the two add ons are correct. Once this is determined then something else is causing the issue.

I would keep the hardware acceleration turned off, the link scanner turned off. At least while troubleshooting. Anything that is a known conflict shouldn't be turned on until we determine the cause of the problems.

Do you have adblock enabled in Firefox? I would turn that off.

Do you have in IE, Internet Options, Security set at Medium for the Internet Zone?

You may want to list the add ons in Firefox first. Plug-ins, add ons and extensions.

It is not the Flash Player that is causing a problem, it is coming from another source. That is why we need to check add ons, etc.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

Enjoy your weekend, this can wait. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before or after you go through my checklist, try running this from the NPR music site. 

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128547106

After the site launches, click where it says LISTEN NOW. 

A separate window will launch that plays the audio stream.  See if it works for you. 

I was able to get it to run a few times Thursday 7/15 in FF and once today (Saturday 7/17) in IE.

The only thing I've noticed when It's worked is that I had both a FF and an IE browser session open.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what you wanted to know:

Contents of Flash folder looks correct.

Hardware acceleration is off in IE and FF. 

Link scanner is off in IE and FF. 

Adblock is not installed in FF. 

For IE, the internet zone security was set at "Medium-High".  I changed to "Medium", rebooted system.  Didn't fix anything.  

FF Add-ons

Adobe Acrobat 8.2.3.231

Adobe PDF Plug-in For FF and Netscape 8.2.3

DivX Web Player 1.4.3.4

DivX Web player 1.4.3.4

Google Update 1.2.183.29

Google Update

Java Platform SE 6 U12 6.0.120.4

Java plug-in 1.6.0_12 for Netscape Navigator(DLL Helper)

Java Platform SE 6 U12 6.0.120.4

Java Platform SE binary

MS Office 2003 11.0.8161.0

Office Plugin for Netscape Navigator

MS DRM 9.0.0.4503

DRM store Netscape Plugin

MS DRM 9.0.0.4503

DRM Netscape Network Object

Move Streaming Media Player 715.3.0.10

Mozilla Default Plag-in 1.0.0.15

Default plug-in

QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6.0

Quicktime plug-in

RealJukeBox NS Plugin 1.0.3.709

RealJukebox Netscape plugin

RealPlayer Version Plugin 6.0.12.709

RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In (32bit)  6.0.12.709

RealPlayer G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In

Shockwave Flash 10.1.53.64

Shockwave Flash 10.1 r53

Shockwave for Director

Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plugin, version 11.0

Silverlight Plugin  4.0.50524.0

Winamp Application Detector 5.5.7.2830

Winamp Application Detector

Windows Media Player Plug-In Dynamic Link Library 3.0.2.629

Npdsplay.dll

Windows Presentation Foundation 3.5.30729.1

Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers

FF Extensions

AVG Safe Search 9.0.0.825                    Disabled

Java Console 6.0.07                              Enabled

Java Console 6.0.12                              Enabled

Java Console 6.0.05                              Enabled

MS .NET Framework Assistant 1.2.1         Enabled

Move Media Player   1.0.0.%(version)s     Enabled

Thanks

PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PR, I've done some searching, especially on that Windows Presentation Foundation as it relates to the Firefox extension. You may want to read this and also check if there is more current info on it. This is from 10/09.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/451702?s=Windows+Presentation+Foundation&as=s

I have also read on what it is and it appears to be quite technical and I don't know about you, but I wouldn't need it. It appears this is for Developers etc.

You need to take a look in your Add/Remove and check on the Java entries. Just from the Firefox additions Java may be older versions. The latest Java Update is U21, any others need Removed from Add/Removed, reboot and Install the latest.

The RealJukeBox NS plug-in 1.0.3.709 is this still a current program?

The Move Media Player vs 1.0.0, is this old or current?

The Move Streaming Media Player vs 715.3.0.10; is this the same player as the 1.0.0 but just a different version?

Then the RP plug-in vs 6.0.12.709 and the RP G2 Live Connect (same vs).

Do you think these players are conflicting with the Player on the NPR site?

I did go to the site and followed your instructions and had no problem. Video and Audio played nicely. I do not use any player except Windows Media Player.

One way you can test is, have the FF(Firefox) browser open, Disable those other players and just use the NPR player.

It was interesting that the NPR site would only work when you had both browsers open. Did you have the NPR site up on both also?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

Well I thought I had good news, unfortunately it didn't last. 

That being said. I did the following:

I deleted the Move media player. 

I updated any plugin and extension in FF that needed an update.   

I got rid of the old JVR's and loaded the most current -- SE 6 U21. 

I keep trying to disable the Realtime plugins in FF, but they

re-enable themselves. FF couldn't find a new version for Realtime plugins

I disabled these FF addons: 

Google Update

MSOffice 2003

Winamp Detector

Windows Media Player Plug in Dynamic Link Library

Windows Presentation Foundation. 

I cleared out the browsing histories of FF and IE.

I ran a registry cleaner.

Rebooted.

Then when the PC came back up, lo and behold Flash was working on

the NPR music site and the Daily Show site -- on both IE and FF.

However it didn't last and I'm back where I started. 

I think in all of the messages between us I think it's gotten kind of lost that

I can get Flash to run on most sites. it's just a handful of sites that are giving

me problems.  One is the NPR music site and the other was the Daily Show site. 

YouTube and video on Yahoo work perfectly.  

You mentioned in a prior note that you think the problem is with my PC.

Couldn't it also be the website?  I could see it being my PC if Flash

was not working correctly on all sites, but it's only a few. 

You didn't say, did you go to the NPR music site and run this link?    

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128547106

After the site launches, click where it says LISTEN NOW. 

A separate window will launch that plays the audio stream. 

Let it run for awhile.  Does it stop or does it run continously?

Try the Daily Show too.  Does it work?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/

Thanks for the help

PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi PR, thanks for the update. Yes you are cleaning up your PC:-) I tried the Daily Show and watched the Munn video and a Stewart video, no problem with video or audio. Using XP/SP3 with IE8, with FP 10.0.45.2, not 10.1.

I don't remember saying there must be something wrong with your PC. When all Flash files and the FP add on are correct then there is some other cause. I would have no way of knowing if something is wrong with your PC:-) Perhaps that is what I said?

In Post #22, after you disabled those add'l 5 FF add ons and rebooted, both sites .0.45.2were working in IE & FF.

Trying to pinpoint what occurred that they stopped working. At that time according to your posts, RealPlayer and all add ons were still Installed. And we know they re-enable themselves. Is that what caused the sites to stop working?

Programs that re-enable themselves do so on a Reboot. Then after that you Removed RealPlayer and that didn't help. Were all add ons/plug-ins removed as well? Now keep in mind that prior to this you had Disabled Windows Media Player and I did not see any Player pop up on the Daily Show. The NPR site did have it's own player tho. Just thinking out loud.

Also, could one of those 5 that you disabled re-enabled themselves or more than one?

What version of AVG do you use? What Anti-Virus did you have before AVG and is AVG a recent Install?

I realize the issues you are having are with a few sites, these two in particular and just finished reading the thread on the 10.1 site.  I didn't see any constant thread, too many variables.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

eidnolb:

I'm running Flash 10.1.   I did mention on the first post of this thread I had gone back to v10.0.45.2 but it didn't help, so I went back to v10.1.

But since you and I have been posting to this forum, I have been running v10.1. Remember, you had me list the contents of the Flash directory? The contents were all Flash 10.1 related except for file Flash10e.ocx, which you had me remove because it was an old version.    

You're right you didn't say there was a problem with my PC, you said the problem wasn't in Flash, it was another source.

All RealPlayer and Divx player addons have been removed.  I thought if RealPlayer was the culprit, removing it may fix the problem

BTW, I also uninstalled Google Chrome.  I never used it.  

I disabled these FF addons and they are still disabled: 

Google Update -- (this addon now appears to be gone)

MSOffice 2003

Winamp Detector

Windows Media Player Plug in Dynamic Link Library

Windows Presentation Foundation. 

Up until mid-June (last month) I was running Avast anti-virus. I uninstalled Avast because the new version I had installed in April 2010 was a system hog.  I'm pretty sure the Flash problem started occuring in mid-June when I was still on Avast. 

After Avast, I ran a demo of G-data anti-virus, but I uninstalled it after only a few days.  G-data was slowing my PC down and the problems with Flash were still occurring  

Next I loaded Free AVG, which I am running now.  I have the latest version of Free AVG v9.0.839.   At the time I remember wondering if something in all if these different anti-virus softwares I was using/trying was causing the Flash problem. So I uninstalled AVG completely and had no virus protection at all.  The problem still occurred. 

Thanks;

PR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines