Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Add a Comment to a Text Field

Level 2

Hello,

I was wondering if there was a way, similar to the option in Excel to add a comment to a particular cell so that when one hovered over the cell, a small box with additional text would appear.

Also, I was curious to see if there is a button that could be made to show all comments or disable all comments.

Example, a user who has a question with filling out a form clicks the "help" button. Automatically, all the notes pointing to the cells appear on the screen without the need of hovering over them. Once he is done he can click that button again and he can resume filling out the form.

I am currently running LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2

Thanks,

-vargs
1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Each object has an accessibility property sheet where you can tool tips. Tool tips are displayed when you hover over an object.

You can access the tool tips through script. For example, in JavaScript var tip = customer.page1.firstName.assist.toolTip.value;

A help button could iterate through all the form objects and display the content in a pop-up, a hidden field, a dynamic sub-form, etcetera.

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

Each object has an accessibility property sheet where you can tool tips. Tool tips are displayed when you hover over an object.

You can access the tool tips through script. For example, in JavaScript var tip = customer.page1.firstName.assist.toolTip.value;

A help button could iterate through all the form objects and display the content in a pop-up, a hidden field, a dynamic sub-form, etcetera.

Steve

Level 2

By this statement, are you talking about triggers?

If so, how can I access this capability through LiveCycle?

Former Community Member

There are many ways this can be accomplished. Take a look at the attached. I added a Help button so you can toggle how you want to display the tool tips in two simple ways.

Untitled.png

The simplest approach is message box.

Untitled1.png

The second simplest approach, at least in my mind, is a hidden field that overlays the blue rectangle.

Untitled2.png

There are endless possibilities.

Steve

P.S. I just realized there is a schema reference in the form. Just ignore it.

Level 2

This works great.

Thank you so much for your help steve.

I really appreciate it.

Former Community Member

Did you include a swf file in the post to demo the popout?

I have to say that was way cool.

Former Community Member

The images are just .png files I attached using the camera icon in edit (reply).

Steve

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----