• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Context-sensitive Help at sub-topic level?

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2006 Apr 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it's been awhile since I've done context-sensitive Help in RoboHelp, and I know a lot's changed since then. Currently I have policy information documented in tables, and so am wondering if I can link context-sensitive Help to a bookmark in a topic rather than a whole topic ...

TIA, Heather

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 26, 2006 Apr 26, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather -

You could end up with the result, I suppose, a number of ways. The most simple route would be to provide help buttons to specific, appropriate topics within view of every bookmark.

Now, if you are talking about using the F1 key, that would take a bit of JavaScript. One could insert it into each help topic easily enough, and interrupt the regular F1 help; the real question is how you would decide which topic to display. Perhaps one could compare the document top with the top of the visible screen, and open a html page based on page position. Just an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2006 Apr 27, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Roger, thought it might be helpful to provide a few more details ... I have policies (core of our product), say 25 or 30, documented in topics by platform. Many are already bookmarked for linking purposes, and I thought, how great would it be if I could do context-sensitive Help using those bookmarks with no reconfiguration of the Help. I know that anything this easy probably isn't possible, but I thought I'd check just to be sure

Thanks, Heather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 28, 2006 Apr 28, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, MergeThis. I read the other thread, and since it refers to individual topics, I believe your answer is "no" I cannot do what I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IT peeps would simply call the bookmark with the pound sign the same way you do when creating a link to it:

filename.htm#bookmark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 01, 2006 May 01, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather,

I'm confused by some of the responses on this post. Contrary to what Roger says, I use F1 help with bookmarks without any scripting whatsoever. Your .hh file should have the format: #define IDH_TOPICID mapnumber and your .ali file should have the format: IDH_TOPICID=Topicfilename.htm#bookmarkname.

That's all there is to it. Your developer will link to the map ID and the help will open to the bookmarked spot. We do all of our context sensitive help manually, so I can't tell you how to easily do this in RoboHelp, but you can open your .ali file in WordPad and simply add the bookmarks after the topic filename. Recompile and it's working.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heather, John -

After re-reading Heathers request, I've probably misunderstood. Heather wants her help request to jump to a bookmark in a topic; easily enough done with the 'page.htm#bookmark' syntax.

I also realized that I've assumed (!) that she was building WebHelp for a Web-based application. Perhaps we should confirm what platform(s) the help and the application use.

Web-based context-sensitive help, based on the field or bookmark level - on Web pages, that kind of field-level help requires tracking the state or cursor position; hitting the F1 key brings up the browser help, which must be interrupted if you want your help to display instead.

But I am curious, John - does your WebHelp automatically replace the browser help (the one that displays with the traditional F1 key) ? I seem to recall some reference to doing that automatically, but I don't recall... must be the dementia setting in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roger, you're absolutely right--I'm doing WebHelp for a web app.

Heather

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
May 02, 2006 May 02, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
If the app is created with .NET, my IT told me that .NET generates no .HH files.

The app simply calls the .htm file directly (the window or control is looking for its own name (ABCMainTabEditFrm, for example) with an .HTM extension. Since ours is a merged WebHelp output, we also use a file called formpath.txt to define the project folder (such as: ABCMainTabEditFrm, mergedProjects\mainfolder) that contains each topic file (this serves as a pseudo-HH/alias file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp