• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I apply the same duration to all my pictures on the timeline?

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2010 Feb 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I change the duration of my pictures in one shot?

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Duration can be changed globally, prior to Import. This is done with Edit>Preferences>General and then the Frame length for Sill Image Duration.

Once Imported, it's by hand, with Click-drag on the Head, or Tail, one at a time. The option is just Delete the stills from the Project Panel, set the Duration to the desired Frames, then re-Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - if you're doing it by hand, I recommend that you also have the Info (Window>Info) Panel open, as it makes it much easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emily83

You omitted one important aspect of your question which I think may have distracted Hunt into thinking pre-Premiere Elements 8.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using? If you are using Premiere Elements 8, then you can apply the same duration to all your pictures on the Timeline at one time....highlight (select all), right click any one of the highlighted pictures, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and the set the duration in the duration space in the Time Stretch dialog. Job done.

If you are using a version of Premiere Elements earlier than Premiere Elements 8, then, as Hunt said, it is a one at a time deal once the pictures are on the Timeline and the suggestions of Hunt would apply.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATR,

That is good for me to know. PrPro CS4 finally added a way to change Duration in Project Panel, with multiple Assets.

Thanks for the PrE 8 update. Actually, because I do not know PrE 8, my answer would have been the same - but not now, thanks to you.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you edit the duration of a photo in this way, is there a way to shove all of

the pictures together? When I change the duration, there gets to be a 1 second gap inbetween each of the pictures. Now, I know it's a blast to move all of the pictures together, one by one, but I'd rather not.

I'm on Premiere CS4, but I'd like to be able to edit the picture duration in this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A method I have used to shorten picture display time is to apply a fade to the image and copy the settings to other images.  The fade can be of a set length and be instant on & off if you play with the settings in the timeline.

Set the fade length.

Right click on the image in the timeline display and use copy

then use  paste attributes on one image or an entire selected group.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitch100

I work from various versions of Premiere Elements and do not have Premiere Pro CS4 or any other version of it. Hunt can best address the CS4 aspects of this.

Given that disclaimer, if you assume that the features are the same in the two programs, I would expect that you would not have to shove the photos together on the Timeline, just highlight the ones whose duration you wish to alter with the Time Stretch Tool.

In Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 there are various ways to achieve the first step in this process, namely, having multiple clips highlighted at the same time..

a. If all you have on the Timeline are photos, then Edit Menu/Select All

or

b. you could use the mouse cursor for clicking/Shift Key to highlight multiple photos on the Timeline

or

c. you could take your mouse cursor and draw a rectangle around photos in one location in order to highlight them. (And, add the Shift Key, if your blocks of photos are in different locations on the Timeline.)

This process should not generate gaps but rather just shorten the duration of the photos, followed by a ripple effect.

If you are getting gaps, then please go into further details of what you are doing, and I will see if I can reconcile gaps getting into what you are doing.

Step 2, the use of the Time Stretch Tool and its duration set, would follow,

I hope that helps. I will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying to help me out.

The problem is that I'm doing a wedding slideshow, and 5 seconds is too long for the pictures. To match pictures with the beats, I want to put different lengths on different sections of photos.

I've selected all of the pictures I want to change, and set the picture duration at 4 seconds. Now however, there is a one second gap inbetween each of the pictures that is now empty. Is there a tool that can now shove everything together?

(Also, somewhat off topic, but not worth making a new thread on- Is there a video transition effect that is random? I'd like to be able to set the default transition on random so they aren't all the same)

Sorry I'm kinda clueless about Premiere. I've just recently started using it and it's a little.... Hard to learn on my own. Thanks for everything though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitch 100

I need to think on this some more, the beat threw in a new hurdle.

As for the random transitions in Premiere Elements 8.0.1, there is no random transition choice. I do recall a discussion on the matter in another thread in another forum, but I do not recall how that discussion ended up. I will look into that and let you know.

To be continued....

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitch 100

Just a follow up on 1 of 2 matters that I have been checking out for you.

As I said, there is no choice to select Random Transition in Premiere Elements (there is in Photoshop Elements Slide Show Editor). In a recent thread at another forum that I frequent, the matter of Random Transition in Premiere Elements came up. So, I gave my party line answer...no Random Transition choice in Premiere Elements. BUT, then I suggested that the user look at

(a) applying a theme (also known as Instant Movie) to the source media

and

(b) after the Instant Movie was created and automatically placed on the Timeline, right clicking the Instant Movie there and selecting "Break Apart Instant Movie" which will do just that.

(c) once the Instant Movie is created and broken apart, customizing it with regard to the  transitions placed in the process, etc.

The report back from that user was that the principle worked great. I have not tried it myself yet.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Instant Movie and then Break Apart, should work, with less manual labor. I have also not tried it, but part of that is because I use Transitions as part of the story-telling, and they should convey something.

The Random Transitions are like Random Pan & Zoom. The program does not possess any AI, and even if it did, could not be expected to be able to know what I wanted for the feeling of the movie - or for which subject in a still needs to be zoomed into. I guess that this is the reason that I use so few different Transitions, and no Presets for Pan & Zoom. For me, a Butt-cut, a Cross-Dissolve, or a Dip-to-Black are about all that I will use, unless I have a very compelling reason to go with something else, and it must be part of the "story."

With all of my Adobe Transitions, my ProDAD plug-ins, my Hollywood FX and my Pixelan SpiceMaster, I must have 1000's of possible Transitions, but seldom use any, but those three mentioned above. Only time that I can recall using something else was a Page Turn, for a movie featuring the pages of a history book being turned to reveal more info, or for a sci-fi piece, where I did some Additive Dissolves in a kind of Star Trek visual. Oh, there was one "melting" Transition on a Title, but that is about it.

Will be interesting to hear if the Instant Movie gets the job done, and good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A.T. Romano wrote:

c. you could take your mouse cursor and draw a rectangle around photos in one location in order to highlight them. (And, add the Shift Key, if your blocks of photos are in different locations on the Timeline.)

That's my new thing learnt for today. I didn't release that drag-select worked on the timeline!

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines