26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2012 5:19 PM by raci sasmaz RSS

CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

ewatterson

Can someone help me please?

Is there a problem with Adobe Dynamic Link and CS5?

I've watched all the videos I could find and it never worked as well for me as I saw on the videos. I finally got the Dynamic file to work after importing the footage into After Effects but couldn't seem to work in Premier and After Effects at the same time. I finally made the comp an imported it into Premier, but now I cant drag it from the "Project" window down to the actual timeline so I can work with it.

Can anyone help me?

Below I have attached a small sample screen shot of the comp if that will help.

Thanks in advance anyone!!!!

sample.jpg

• 1. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
          Phil Griffith Community Member

Have you tried double clicking on it? I'm not

sure, but it would seem like that would be a sequence rather than a clip. I haven't used it

but in ae, you have all your different tracks that make up your composition. Can't hurt.

• 2. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
            Pyramid Pyro Community Member

Try removing the slash in the name.  Forgive me because I'm not that familiar with dynamic link, but if that is a "file" the slash may be confusing it as a "directory."

Hope that helps.  Best of luck...

Erik

• 3. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
              J. Simon Community Member

What happens when you drag it down?

• 4. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                ewatterson Community Member

Hello Phil!

Yes I have double clicked on it and it actually opens in the project window above but I cant seem to drag it down into the actually composition to work on it? I did apply a mask to the comp in AE. Would that be a problem?

• 5. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Hello Pyro! Since the slash was added there by one of the programs if I remove it will it still link to the file?

• 6. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                    Colin Brougham Community Member

Try removing the slash in the name.  Forgive me because I'm not that familiar with dynamic link, but if that is a "file" the slash may be confusing it as a "directory."

That's Adobe's naming scheme for Dynamic Linked AE comps, as well as how layered PSDs are named. What is before the slash is the composition name, and what is after it is the After Effects project name. These aren't assets in the "traditional" sense, so the forward slash has no impact on file use.

• 7. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Hello Jim!

Well I can actually see the comp in the above project "monitor window" (I think thats what its called next to the main edit window). When I click and drag it I get the little "hand/fist" icon which represents that I have selected and am actually moving the clip, but next to the hand is a little circle with a slash through it similar to the little image that i found off the internet for example purposes that I have inserted below.

I have actually placed a mask in the linked comp in AE. Would that be a problem?

no-sale-tag-small.jpg

• 8. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Try dragging the AE comp to the New Item icon at the bottom of the Project panel; is a new sequence created with the AE comp placed in it?

With the the DL'ed comp loaded into the Source Monitor (the one on the left), press either the Insert or Overlay buttons; they're located just to the right of the "jog wheel" in the monitor panel. Does the comp clip land in the seqence? If not, make sure that you have your Source and Target tracks targetted properly; that means clicking to enable the gray V/Video and A/Audio buttons at the head of the Timeline panel.

Like this:

The nature and content of your DL'ed comp has no effect on its usability in Premiere; as far as PPro is concerned, it's a flattened video clip.

• 9. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Yes sir! I tried dragging the item and making a new clip sequence but when I actually open the sequence it has no content. And the "insert" and "overlay" buttons dont seem to work as well.

• 10. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

What is the Media Duration of the DL'ed comp, as it appears in the Project panel?

Also--asking the obvious, but I have to check--have you saved the AE project after adding the comp? If so, try removing the AE comp from your PPro project panel, and then import it again. Also, try creating a new/second comp in your AE project, and attempt to DL that. Same result?

• 11. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Would this little "square" with the "X" inside it have anything to do with it? What does it mean?

Untitled-1.jpg

• 12. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

That's not an 'X'; that's a chain link The green icon with the intact link means that Dynamic Link is working. If it wasn't the link would be broken and the icon would be red.

• 13. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

the media duration is "00;13;13;01". It does not read "00:13:13:01". Not sure why or if that matters. to test it I tried to drag another clip that was recorded in with the extension ".MTS" and it was able to be dragged down.

I'm beginning to wonder about the comp format. It looks odd but not sure if this matters.

The description of the comp in the project window reads:

Comp1/ae-linked.aep

Movie, 1920 x 1080 (1.0),Alpha

00;13;13;01, 29.97 fps

48000 Hz - 32-bit Float - Stereo

I honestly don't know what "Float" means!  Is my comp trying to fly?

• 14. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Ohh....ok that makes sense! Thanks!

Sometimes I wish I had the time to go back to school with some of this stuff! Adobe always has features that I learn about and wish I knew three projects ago!!!

• 15. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                                      tclark513 Community Member

Check the file path on the composition in After Effects.  Look in the project panel.  Does it have any "??????" in the path?

• 16. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

No. I dont see any ?. You do mean an actual question mark right?

• 17. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                                          tclark513 Community Member

Yes...Dynamic Link has a history of losing file locations so the path shows "?"

when it doesnt know where the original file is coming from.

• 18. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                                            to test it I tried to drag another clip that was recorded in with the extension ".MTS" and it was able to be dragged down.

Can you explain what you're referring to here? Do you mean you tried another MTS file in Premiere, or that you created a new comp in AE and used a different MTS file in that, which you then successfully used in Premiere?

• 19. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                                              Stan Jones MVP

I've read the other posts and am replying to your original post.  You seem to be troubleshooting a workaround - DL didn't work from PR

to AE, so you got a project created in AE, DL'd to PR, and not behaving properly.

If you get no resolution to that, I would create a test project in PR, and start the AE DL from there.  That should work, and might be easier to troubleshoot..

• 20. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Ok Colin!!!! For some reason I restarted and dropped the project on the timeline and it WORKED!!!! I did nothing different!!! OMG!!!!

Thanks so much for your hanging with me on this. Do you have an email where I can stay in contact with you with other questions if I need to ask? After all this I would like to show you what you helped me complete!!! Not sure if that's against forum rules but you can email me at "info@sonenterprises.com" and I will respond to it so your email isnt live here.

Thanks so much!!!! I again really do wish I knew what happened so I dont do it again, but I Thank God for it anyway!!!!

• 21. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Thanks Stan!

I have no idea my friend what happened! It just decided to work. I guess after I stopped making faces and cussing at my computer it decided to be nice to me!!! Ha! Just joking about the cussing, but I was definately making some faces!!!

• 22. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Ok...I tried it again and its not letting me drop the sequence on the timeline again. There must be something that I'm doing wrong or a step I'm missing.

Is there any where online where I can get a detailed step by step layout of how to do it?

• 23. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

OK...when I try and bring the LINKED sequence down to the timeline it only worked if the media is "Offline". Then when I try and re-link the media Premier locks up and dosent respond.

Is this a bugg?

• 24. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

With both Premiere and After Effects closed, go to the folder where your MTS files are stored. Delete all CFA, PEK, and MPGINDEX files you find there, and empty the trash. Restart Premiere and reopen your project, then wait for the yellow bar on the bottom right corner to stop flashing. When it's done, open up After Effects and let it finish indexing. Check if your files are back online now.

• 25. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem

Thanks so much Colin!

I did that and it seemed to work. To be honest I'm a bit nervous right now about it. If I link them up and work from the linked file and it acts up later will I lose work/time. So I rendered out the click from AE and importd it into PR. I know that's the long way around but it seems much safer right now.

Thanks so much for your help. I'm not giving up on it, but I've got to get rolling on completing the project.

-----

I do have one more question though that you may not know.

I'm in PR trying to change the background color in the project window from black to white. I know how to do it in AE but cant seem to find it in PR. I know I can add another white matte color as a video track but that seems kinds crazy that I have to add an extra track to my video just for the background color. Do you know how I can do this?

If I add the extra track thats just another layer that I have to keep on with and I don't think I can even hide that lyer to avoid editing it when cutting and moving.

Thanks again Colin hope you are having a great weekend.

• 26. Re: CS5 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                            raci sasmaz

Hello Friends,

Adobe Master Collection CS5 and cs5.5, unfortunately, is creating a problem of this kind.

Typically, this problem, an aging installed operating system for all sorts due to the program a lot.

Way to solve this, is this: (I assume we have a full system requirements)

First, check the format.

Install the operating system.

Later, as a first step install your graphics card-driver.

Vista and W7 to reset the level of the UAC.

Close the Windows Firewall.

PC "as the second step in your PIN and then close the deficit, or Adobe Master Collection CS5 cs5.5 please run the installer as administrator.

Then you set up other programs that need.

I solved with this method after I poured a lot of sweat.