Captivate 5 Deleting Completed Projects

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have just installed

Captivate 5 and have observed the following behaior:

We will do a recording and complete a project and save it - say RecordingOne

We then go on to the next recording and Save it as RecordingTwo.  When we look at the saved projects folder we find that Captivate has deleted the original project (RecordingOne).  This continued to happen with each new recording deleting the last saved project.

As a fix we now copy the finished project to a network drive before starting the next project.

Is there a way to stop this behavior?  Is it normal?

System is Windows XP Pro

Thanks

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

>>We will do a recording and complete a project and save it - say RecordingOne
>> We then go on to the next recording and Save it as RecordingTwo.

How are you starting the next recording? (e.g. through "File -> Record New Project...")

>> When we look at the saved projects folder we find that Captivate has deleted the original project (RecordingOne).  This continued to happen with each new recording deleting the last saved project.

This should not happen, Captivate 5 support MDI so you can have multiple projects open simultaneously. Can you see RecordingOne project open in Captivate when you could not find "RecordingOne" in the "saved projects folder".

If this is really happening at your system, then can you please check when is the "RecordingOne" project getting deleted? e.g. as soon as you start the second recording or when you actually save the "RecordingTwo". You can open "Captivate 5" and your "saved project folder" side by side and check this.

Regards

Rahul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Please make sure you have write permissions to the folder where you are saving the Captivate Projects.

-Ashwin Bharghav B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess he has write permissions on the folder, that's why he is saying "As a fix we now copy the finished project to a network drive before starting the next project"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something must be wrong in saving projects, but the error seems not to occur every time. In the beginning of my CP5 tests all content of the folder into which I saved the project was deleted! This occured 2 or 3 times. I set up a separate folder for CP5 projects and a detailed documentation - but since then the error could not be reproduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi hsr_goh3,

Did you see the files disappearing for the first save or was it successive "Save" operations which caused to delete files. Can you give me more information so that i can try to get to know the environment causing this.

Have you seen the issue recently ?

Regards

Ashwin Bharghav B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wunder whether this was related to a change of the settings for publication and backup folders (both on network storage). I've read that CP5 should not be used with network drives - may be that is another issue with the problem. Since I separated CP5 folders completely from others (still on network storage) no files have been lost anymore.

If I had to reinstall CP5 I probably would do that with local and dedicated folders only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We were not using network drives. It was a save to a local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case - it was all the successive saves done to the default folder Captivate saves to. We solved the problem by saving to another folder created for this purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources