The command "Feather" is not currently available

Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using PS CS5 Extended on 64-bit Windows

Using the default vignette action

have an 8-bit image in RGB color space

have a rectangular section approximately 50 pixels inside of the image borders.

Attempt to use the default vignette action and get the following error:   The command "Feather" is not currently available  The reason it's unavailable is that the selection has disappeared.    I can't figure out WHY the selection is disappearing on me.   I've used this action for YEARS and never seen this behavior.  It's doing the same thing in both 32-bit PS and 64-bit PS.

I assume I've fat-fingered some setting or other but, for the life of me, can't figure out what it could be.

Sure could use some help sorting this out.  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it and it worked for me in the condition you described.

When you expand the action via the little arrow to the left of the action name, does it look exactly like this, including the little checkmarks and dialog boxes to the left?

VignetteAction.jpg

If not, you'll probably want to reload the actions.  From Adobe Help:

Restore actions to the default set

1. Choose Reset Actions from the Actions panel menu.
  2. Click OK to replace the current actions in the Actions panel with the default set, or click Append to add the set of default actions to the current actions in the Actions panel.

Hope this helps.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... but if you replace with defaults, make sure you save out any of your own actions (in a set or sets) so they can be recovered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or click Append to add the set of default actions to the current actions in the Actions panel.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it looks exactly like that.

I don't think it's a problem with the action -- it's a problem with the selection going away when I start the action.  The selection disappears so, of course, the command feather is not available because there is nothing to feather.

Addendum:  Not really expecting anything, I reset the actions as you advised and that seems to have worked.  The vignette action works now.  That was REALLY weird behavior from PS - I've never seen a selection just go away like that.

Thank you, Noel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Happy to help.

Something under the covers of one of the action steps must have gotten changed.  Not sure how, but I'm glad you got it working.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines