Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Form guide not displaying fields

Former Community Member

Hi,

I am creating a from guide using the RenderFormGuide component. The rendered form guide does not display any fields. I am able to preview the same XDP as a form guide in the designer, and it works perfectly fine. Are there any properties in the RenderFormGuide thats preventing the fields from being displayed?

Also, this form guide is not for use in workspace. This is to be opened up on the browser.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vidya

19 Replies

Former Community Member

Have a look at your app server log file....my guess is that it is trying to reference a swc file that you have not moved to the server.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks Paul. I did look at the app server log and there are no missing swc files. I have imported the one swc file that the guide uses.

Former Community Member

So there are no errors in the log when the guide is rendered? Can you take a screen shot of the rendered guide and share it? Can you post your xdp file so I can try it here? You will have to rename it to a txt file to attach it to this BBS

Paul

Former Community Member

Hi Paul,

I have attached the XDP and a screenshot of the rendered guide.

-Thanks

Vidya

Former Community Member

Hello,

I am still stuck with this issue. Only the form guide layout is created. No sections or panels are created. There are no errors in the server log.

Can somebody point out what the reason might be? Appreciate the help. Thanks.

Regards,

Vidya

Former Community Member

I do not know what you have done to that guide as I am seeing the same thing that you are. If I put default data into the fields then they show up correctly in the Guide. If I create a new guide and simply create the panels the same as you it works fine.

How did you create the guide?

Paul

Former Community Member

I used the guide builder in designer to create the guide. I chose the guide layout, dragged fields to the guide through the add/bind fields option. The fields do not show up for me even with default values.

I tried to create a form guide with no fields, just the default section and panel. Even this results in the same problem.

When I pass the sample form guide that comes with designer install through the render form guide component, only the guide layout gets created - there are no sections or panels. I am wondering if i am making a mistake in setting the form guide properties?

These are the properties that I set:

Application Web Root : http://[hostname]:[portno]

base URL : http://[hostname]:[portno]

Content Root URI : repository://

Target URL : http://[hostname]:[portno]

The only property that I modified in the Form guide render options is "Cb = True"

Thanks.

-Vidya

Former Community Member

Have an update here. I tried the running the same through a render form guide component in Livecycle ES 8.0 and it works fine. But it does not work in Version 8.2.1.1.

-Vidya

Level 2

I have seen something similar before.  Check all JavaScript/FormCalc on the form.  Errors in it can lead to virtually blank Form Guide renders.

Former Community Member

Thanks. But I have added no scripts on the form.

-Vidya

Former Community Member

You do not need to specify the Cb parameter ......simply specifiy that you want a transformation of guide and that shoudl be all you need.

I am beginning to suspect your Designer install is corrupted. Have you deployed the FormsIVS sample? This has a number of sample forms and they all have a guide associated with them. I woudl try opening one of those samples and see if the guide works with your designer.

Paul

Former Community Member

Paul,

When I do not specify the Cb parameter, the output document is a text/html file. Where do I specify that I need a transformation of a guide?

I tried using a sample from forms IVS in designer and the guide works with my designer. It does not work with the render form guide component in workbench though.

Thanks.

-Vidya

Former Community Member

There are three different services provided that will render you XDP as a PDF an HTML page or a guide. The three services are: renderPDFForm, renderFormGuide and renderHTMLPage

Paul

Former Community Member

I used the renderFormGuide service and I set cb=true in the form guide render options. If I do not set cb to be true, the output of renderFormGuide service is a html file and not a guide.

Paul, out of curiosity, which version of Livecycle are you using?

Thanks.

Regards,

Vidya

Former Community Member

According to the docs the Cb parameter is a boolean that specifies the generation of the html-template initiating content or actual Flash content(guide).

So you will want to generate the HTML wrapper which will in turn call the swf file to load. That html wrapper is needed as a container to communicate between the Flash Guide and the PDF (if you have asked for it. I believe the default is true.

Paul

Former Community Member

This thread seems the closest to my question.

A html rendered object from LC is in the form of SWF embedded in html, correct?

Former Community Member

Are you refrering to rendering an XDP template as an HTML page through Form Server or something else? Can you elaborate please?

Paul

Former Community Member

Yes, that is what I'm asking.  It's an academic question; I just want to understand more about LC.  Ultimately, I'm thinking of ways to get around Flex not being compliant with 508.  If an HTLM page generated from LC is just a SWF in a wrapper then using LC's HTML wouldn't be a solution.

Former Community Member

No that is not the case. Designer will create an form template in an Xml Forms Architecture (XFA) format. This template defines everything in the template. When you save as a PDF in Designer a program actually interprets the template and creates a PDF from that. In LiveCycle Server a module will do this in real time. One of the options on the server is to render the template (the XFA file) as an HTML page. This will interpret the XFA file and translate into HTML for you. There is no option to create SWF. There is an option to take the template file and use it as a model for a Guide (which ultimately gets displayed as a SWf file inside of an HTML wrapper) but in that case the template is really a data model.

Hope that helps

Paul