Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated RH output wraps to fit browser window

New Here ,
May 03, 2006 May 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

Is there a way in which generated RoboHelp output, after it is applied to a piece of software, can be altered or “fixed” so that it does not wrap text?

For example, in my particular case, when a user selects the Help icon from the company software, the help appears in a separate browser window. Depending on the default size of an individual user's browser window, the content of the help will be “wrapped” accordingly.

However, if a user has a smaller default browser window , the text is “smushed” to fit the window, but the graphicn will go off the screen. A similar result occurs if the window larger or is maximized. The text will just go on and on and on and tear apart the formatting.

So my question is this: is there a way to make the help window open to a default size, specifically one that is capable of maintaining the formatting so the user does not have to resize his or her browser window in order to see the help content clearly?

Also, does anyone know if RH is just an inherently bad fit with browsers other than IE? For users on non-windows based computers, all RH output looks atrocious. All formatting is pushed to the left margine, all styles are suddenly null and void. I assume there is no way around this issue, but if anyone has any ideas, they would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Diane

P.S. I wanted to attach pictures to this post to illustrate what I am talking about, but I saw no obvious way to do so. Hopefully my text is clear enough.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 03, 2006 May 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Diane -

First, you can control wrapping by putting your text inside a single table cell (or several), or inside a <div> with a class or id, and give that class or id a style and a static width (not a percentage).

Now, if your user adjusts the window size, the text will not snake back and forth on the page to fit. But, if you still want to control the size of the window, you can define the window size with the JavaScript window.open() method.

If you don't have control of how the window opens, you can resize it with window.resizeTo();

Sorry, haven't looked at RoboHelp output on all non-Windows-based computers.

If you have images to share, troubleshooting, vacations photos, shots of the kids, you can post them on a web server, or a free image service, and provide a link to them, like this...

http://www.copperfieldpub.com/sam/familyportrait-JVstyle1a-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 04, 2006 May 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Diane.

I'd like you to post pictures, if you can, because the results you are getting in non-Windows browsers aren't typical. I have done WebHelp for NetScape 5-6, and lots of other people have been using it for Opera, Safari, and Firefox. You might find some existing posts for problems similar to yours in the WebHelp forum.

It isn't perfect, and it isn't easy - all browsers seem to have proprietary elements, and as you pointed out, RH interacts best with the ones for IE. But the more straightforward your formatting is, the more likely it is that you can get good results.

The "loss of all formatting" issue makes me wonder what's going on with your style sheet (.css). Does your project use one? When you generate WebHelp output, do you have two style sheets (project.css and project_ns.css)?

Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger and Elisa,

Roger: I will definately try your suggestions and see how they work out. You will see me posting again if they don't!

Elisa: I do use a style sheet, but I am not sure about the two style sheets, project.css and project_ns.css. I know I have the project.css (or at least I thinhk I do, it would be the one I created; for example, projectX.css, correct?). Where would I look to find out whether or not I have the other?

I can create a test project to show you the formatting errors, but it will be a while before I have the time to do that. Basically, on all non-windows computers, the fonts, margins and spacing I applied in my style sheet go to pot. Colors will remain, as well as font size, but not the type, all text seems to default to some serif font. Also, all text (but nbot graphics, oddly) will be justified on the left, including bullet points and numbered lists.

This error is consistent on all linux-based machines using Firefox. When using IE on the linux machines, all is well. On the MAC, both Firefox and Safari default all text to san serif fonts but maintains all margins and spacing. However, all bulleted and numbered lists are also left justified to the side of the screen. In IE for MAC, all styles and formatting are maintained, but again, bulleted and numbered lists are stuck on the far left of the screen. In IE or Firefox used on Windows machines, everything looks beautiful.

Thanks for your assistance!
Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roger and Elisa,

Roger: I will definately try your suggestions and see how they work out. You will see me posting again if they don't!

Elisa: I do use a style sheet, but I am not sure about the two style sheets, project.css and project_ns.css. I know I have the project.css (or at least I thinhk I do, it would be the one I created; for example, projectX.css, correct?). Where would I look to find out whether or not I have the other?

I can create a test project to show you the formatting errors, but it will be a while before I have the time to do that. Basically, on all non-windows computers, the fonts, margins and spacing I applied in my style sheet go to pot. Colors will remain, as well as font size, but not the type, all text seems to default to some serif font. Also, all text (but nbot graphics, oddly) will be justified on the left, including bullet points and numbered lists.

This error is consistent on all linux-based machines using Firefox. When using IE on the linux machines, all is well. On the MAC, both Firefox and Safari default all text to san serif fonts but maintains all margins and spacing. However, all bulleted and numbered lists are also left justified to the side of the screen. In IE for MAC, all styles and formatting are maintained, but again, bulleted and numbered lists are stuck on the far left of the screen. In IE or Firefox used on Windows machines, everything looks beautiful.

Thanks for your assistance!
Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The description of your output sounds comprehensive - don't create a whole new project just for this!

The projectX_ns.css is created during WebHelp generation - it exists only in the output folder, not your source files. RH copies the original projectX.css into the output and then creates a slightly different copy, projectX_ns.css, to be used when the browser isn't IE (more or less, actually the browser-sniffing logic is kind of complicated).

So I compared my project_ns.css to my project.css. Lo and behold! For bulleted styles only (non-bulleted styles had the correct indents), the left-indent that I specified was being overwritten by "1 pt" in the project_ns.css.

What does this mean? Beats me. But it might lead to a workaround.

Workaround - take a copy of projectX_ns.css. Compare it with projectX.css, paying special attention to indent settings. Fix any left indents that don't look right. Copy the adjusted projectX_ns.css into your output folder. Take a look under some different browser combinations (sounds like you have users who are willing to test for you, you lucky thing).

If this works, you have a brute-force workaround - you just copy your adjusted _ns.css into the output every time you release, overwriting the nonfunctional .css.

Yeah, I'd rather have an explanation. But maybe one of the gurus will know of one. And if this workaround actually does the job, you have at least bought a little time for investigation.

HTH,
Elisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2006 Sep 19, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi All,

I apologize for unearthing this old topic, but now seamless RH Firefox output has become a priority for the company.

Elisa (or anyone that may know); you mentioned a workaround between the .css I created and the RH generated ns.css:

“Workaround - take a copy of projectX_ns.css. Compare it with projectX.css, paying special attention to indent settings. Fix any left indents that don't look right. Copy the adjusted projectX_ns.css into your output folder. Take a look under some different browser combinations.”

I am hardly savvy when it comes to the “behind the scenes” workings of RH and the coding. I have found and accessed the .css files in question, but what exactly, am I looking for on terms of “indent settings?” I see “margin” mentioned multiple times, but beyond that I have no clue what I should be looking for.

My goal is to see if I can determine the cause, and thusly remedy the issue, behind my RH WebHelp output left-justifying all my bullets and numbering. I am using the latest version of RH with applicable updates, and I am testing the Firfox output with the latest versions and updates as well.

Also, I noticed while researching this problem, that some of the topics within my project that share the same .css file as all the others, do not manifest the left-justify issue in Firefox output. I am still in the process of deciphering this mystery.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp