• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 8 closes while compiling

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - i have recently upgraded to RoboHelp 8. I have successfuly compiled both .chm and .html projects since then. Today i opened a project (on my local PC) with a default setting of Web Help and compiled and published the files. I then tried, through Single Source, to compile in .chm format and it closed RoboHelp in the second half of the compilation (thus i cannot see errors). I restarted the PC and the same happened. I took an older version of the help file, made the updates and tried to directly compile to .chm and the same happened.

Please help me locate the problem.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try with one of the supplied sample projects.

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter, The compilation worked fine using the CCC project. What else can you recommend?

Thanks,

Jacqui

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That established it is not the compiler but the project.

First create a new layout, not a duplicate. See if that works.

If not, then conditionalise half the topics. If that builds you know the problem is in the half you excluded. Continue the logic until you track it down.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - that will take a while. I'll let you know tomorrow how it went

🙂

Thanks, Jacqui

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Peter! Now for details.

1. i created a new layout, but it still stopped;

2. I removed whole sections and then slowely intorduced them back until i narrowed it down to one topic.

The problem was in the Related Topics button. I rarely use this nowadays, but it still occurs in earlier helps. The topics copied across with many ampersands - so i removed them.

The weird bit is that i had previously compiled the help in HTML after upgrading to RoboHelp 8 and had no problem, and a few minutes earlier the WebHelp compilation worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The elves at play again!

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp