• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate 5 won't open Captivate 4 files~Please HELP!

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded from Captivate 4 to the eLearning Suite 2 with Captivate 5.  So far, everything's been great, except for the problem I'm having now and how rude the Adobe Tech Support guy I talked with yesterday was.

I can't open my Captivate 4 files with Captivate 5.  When I try to, it acts like it's working, then freezes on "Opening Project(s) - Upgrading Resources" (see below).  Eventually, it times out and closes all together.

I've tried opening 2 different files and on 2 different machines, one is Windows 7 and the other is XP (both with Captivate 5).  I even called Adobe Support, being that I just purchased a $2000 single-user eLearning Suite I thought they would be somewhat helpful, and was told very rudely that Tech Support cannot help me because my computer is connected to a network!   Seriously? Needless to say, I'm very frustrated right now, especially under a deadline to update projects I can't even open.  Please Help!! Are Captivate 4 files just not compatible with Captivate 5? It's a huge project and I'd hate to have to start over again.

Thanks for any information you can provide me! I'm desperate!

Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Very sorry for you.  Just a couple of questions to check: are the files on a network drive (if so, please copy them to your PC), for Win7 are you running CP as administrator, CP4-files were they AS2 or AS3? I do ask this last question because of an issue I experienced with a AS2-file that worked fine in CP4 but couldn't convert it. When I changed from AS2 to AS3 in the CP4-file it was suddenly corrupted in CP4, and that was the reason. Normally it is not necessary to change first the Actionscript settings.

And can you create CP5-files from scratch?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply!

The files are installed on my hard drive, not on the network.  Yes, I run Captivate as the Administrator. Yes, I can create Captivate 5 files from scratch.

I just installed a trial of Captivate 4 on a different machine and it is still able to open these files, but I really need to get them back on my main computer with Captivate 5.  At least I was able to open it and look in the Publishing settings and it says the ActionScript version is AS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Could you try to change the AS version to AS3 to see how the file is reacting? Is it still functioning then in CP4? If yes, try to open it in CP5.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for your help.  Well I changed it to AS3 from Captivate 4.  The file will still open in Captivate 4, but not in 5.  Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Do not have any ideas left, sorry. Would it be possible to share one of the files, to check if perhaps something is wrong with your CP5-installation? I mean I would try to open the file over here. You could use somewhere to store the file and share the link (p.e. on acrobat.com). If you do not want to do this on the forum, you can send me a private message.

Really sorry,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello There,

First, I'm really sorry about the rude behaviour of the Tech Support and to note the issues you are having with the Upgrade. Are you still facing the issue? If so, can you please share the file with me at viswanat@adobe.com? Would love to have a look at the issue.

Thanks,

Vish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Vish,

We're following this case with interest and looking forward to more developments onit.

Initial, but informal tests in our area revealed more problems than what has been originally posted.

Opening Cp4 files in Cp5 actually presents several problems:

• We can open small (about <400Kb>) Cp4 files, but the graphics are missing
  • We can not open larger Cp4 files (about >1 Mb)

We're in the process of contacting our Adobe representatives. In the meantime we're suspending the move towards upgrading to Cp5.

Thanks,

Orendainx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2010 Sep 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. This seems like a HUGE mistake by Adobe. I just upgraded to Captivate 5 and have made 5 projects just to find out our Docent LMS doesn't support AS3. Now i find out i can't export them to AS2 or open these files in Captivate 4.

I guess i'll be remaking these projects again in Captivate 4.

Has there been any new developments on how to fix this problem?

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt

Not to be overly picky here, but Adobe does offer the 30 day trial. During that time I might have thought you would have tested and discovered things wouldn't work with your LMS.

About all I can suggest at this point is to urge you to complete a Wish Form/Bug Report to advise the development team. Link for doing that is in my sig.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Begin learning Captivate 5 moments from now! $29.95

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gee thanks Rick, i guess i just expected more from an Adobe product. I sure hope that Flash doesn't follow in Captivate's footsteps and stop opening AS2 files.

I will fill out the Wish Form/Bug Report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt,

I am sorry you are having issues with Captivate also.  I think it is clear that customers shouldn't expect anything from an Adobe product.  What still blows my mind is how rude their Tech Support was to me when I tried to call for help, after spending nearly $2000 on their software.  To be quite frank, I would never buy anything from Adobe again, even using my companies funding instead of my own personal money.  Up until this incident happened I was a huge fan of Adobe, but it bothers me to spend money on a company that wouldn't even attempt to help me when I called Tech Support.  A customer shouldn't have to go through a forum for support as their only option.

Good luck,

Grace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace

I do agree with you, but you have to understand that in many cases the forum is the best support around. This is because the questions are answered by folks that use the product on a regular basis. Many times a support area is staffed with folks that are simply using a Decision Support System to field the calls and they have a rudimentary familiarity with the product.

I do believe Adobe outsourced their customer support to a third party. Some folks are unhappy with this, but it's just a sign of the times with a slow economy. I know I was on the leading edge of outsourcing when my own job disappeared in one location and reappeared overseas. That was back in 2004. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience with Adobe support.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem although if I let it sit long enough, they do ultimately open.  Someone on a previous

post indicated trying Captivate 5 before buying.  Problem is Captivate 4 won't run on Windows 7 which we recently upgraded to.  I have a brand new top of the line system and this is so painfully slow as opposed to running 4 on my 6 year old computer.

If anyone from Adobe is reading these, this really needs a fix soon before everyone starts looking at other software options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there and welcome to our community

If you really want Adobe to hear something like this, you need to speak to them via the channel they actively monitor. Unfortunately that channel is not these forums. Instead, it's the Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form. Link to that forum is in my sig line.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2010 Oct 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This question is for Rick (Captiv8r), if you are still following this thread - You have been so helpful and diligent with this forum, and I am wondering - do you work for Adobe?  Or are you just a good Samaritan helping people out? In an area with such crappy support by Adobe Tech Support you have been the only assistance I have received, and you are a great resource.  So thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace

Sorry for the delay in responding. I'm in the midst of teaching the rare class! (I say rare as there haven't been many classes to teach in the last several months. So I'm very grateful!)

I'm not an official Adobe employee. I'm a user just as you and Noel and others are. But I'm an Adobe Certified Trainer for Captivate and for RoboHelp as well as a recognized Adobe Community Professional for both products. Basically I'm a mostly enthusiastic user and supporter of the products. I do love to share and I also remember what it's like to be frustrated with assorted products and not find anything helpful. I also remember how others extended a kind hand to me when I was a frustrated new user so I like to pay it forward as much as I can.

I'm pleased if I've helped somehow along your journey.

Happy Captivating! Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add my comments about the attitude of Adobe.

I had some very very bad experiences with Adobe Tech  Support and some people at Adobe when I first started using Captivate 3  (now v4) required for my work at my company and I am still fuming at they way I was treated.

Given the choice I would rather stick pins in my eyes than have to deal with Adobe Tech Support again and given the choice I would never use any Adobe products, due their attitude to their "customers".

I read this forum every day and hardly a day goes by without people complaining about the attitude of the Tech Support, or that Adobe offer their stock answer to many Captivate problems....."buy the latest version, that will fix the problem".

I am in a customer service industry and I strive to "delight" every customer, every time.

Clearly Adobe have a lot to learn....before it is too late

Noel

Staffordshire

England

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree! If it weren't for helpful people on this Forum I don't know what I would do!  I have never been treated so rudely by a company as I was with Adobe, especially after dropping a lot of money on their software.  Hopefully it will come back around and they will lose business for it.  A company that poorly run should be running into the ground with bankruptcy as far as I am concerned.  I don't think I'll ever purchase software from Adobe again because of this experience.  But apparently they really don't care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are right about the forum. There are some excellent people on the forum without whom I would most likely have "shot" myself by now - as I would never have got any help via the official Adobe channels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we are all expressing frustration, I want to get back to the original question that was posted.  What I have found is that when I open a Captivate 4 file for the first time, I get the same screen.  I found if you leave it long enough, it will actually complete.  Once it opens and you save it, it will open and load normally.  The length of time depends on the size of the file.  I had one that probably took a good 20 minutes to open becuase it had several flash videos in it.  I would recommend trying to open and leave it while you do other things.  I hope this will work.

One thing I have noticed is after I convert them, my new files are considerably larger in 5 than they were in 4.  Anyone have any ideas about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2010 Oct 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any more luck with this??? We have the same issue here. Can't make updates to a CP4 file, it says it is opening and I get the same dialog box as Grace. On our systems, the dialog box just disappears and the CP5 opening dialog/splash screen is displayed, waiting for you to create a new file. Never had this problem with any of the past upgrades, ever since it was RoboDemo >sigh<

Trevor in Denver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Perhaps you did read everything in this thread, in that case Sorry for the repetition: did you check the ActionScript version of the CP4-files, be sure that it is AS3, not AS2.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you check this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Preferences (Edit menu), Project, Publish Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources