• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you make a layer transparent?

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this probably should be obvious, but I can't figure it out.  I have a .psd doc with a photo that has a lovely frame around it.  I want to make the area where the photo is transparent so I can use the frame for other photos.  When I bring the opacity down, the background is white, not transparent.  Same when I use the eraser.  Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The background is not a layer.  It is the background.  There is a subtle difference.

Make the image into a layer by double clicking the Background in the Layers palette.  Then it will be made into a layer and you'll be able to make parts of it transparent, to where you can see the checkerboard (indicating transparency).

A transparent layer only allows you to "see through" to the layer(s) or background underneath.  Make the background and/or lower layers invisible (click the eyeball icon) or delete them to be able to see the checkerboard pattern through the transparency of the layer above.

If you're trying to make a frame you can paste over other images, select the photo and delete the image out of the inside.  Delete all other layers in the image, and save as Frame.psd or something.  Then later you can open that image, copy the layer, and paste it over other images.

Hope this helps!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First make sure you are using a layer. This means the name of the layer in the layer palette should not say Background. If is does double click it and press Enter to convert it to a layer. Once when you are on a layer to make it transparent use one of the following:

select area with any selection tool and press Delete

use the Eraser tool

drag the transparancy slider in the layer's palette

use a layer mask - you'll find a button at the bottom of the layers palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does the file have layers? or is it a single layer titled "Background"?

If it has multiple layers over a solid color background layer, just delete the background layer and use the marquee tool to delete the frame.

If it is a background layer, then duplicate the background layer, making it a new layer.  Delete the old background layer.  Then proceed to marquee and delete frame.

When done either save the file as TIFF, GIF or PNG and you should have a transparent background.  Don't flatten the file though, this will automatically use your foreground color as the background solid fill color or will fill in the transparent areas for you.

Hope this was helpful.

<link removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines