• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to ...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2010 Jul 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aloha:

The update for Acobat reader fails on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit notebook PC. See error log below. Not only did the update fail, but it corrupted my current version and reader would not load due to main dll problem. I had to remove the reader and install version 8, the only other option on the Adobe downloads.

By the way, the solution in this article below does not work for Windows 7, but possibly could if someone would update the procedure.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html

[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Adobe ARM 1.4.5.0 logging started.
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Command Line: /PRODUCT:Reader /VERSION:9.0 /MODE:2
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductCode: {AC76BA86-7AD7-FFFF-7B44-A91000000001}
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductName: Adobe Reader 9.3 MUI
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductVersion: 9.3.0
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductRegistry: SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] ProductInstallDir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\
[2010-07-14 12:28:21] Found CommandLine preference AUTO_DOWNLOAD.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] ArmUpdate record found.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] Newer version ARM Update is not available.
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] New file object: AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-14 12:28:55] New file object: AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-15 05:29:40] InstallProductMsp...
[2010-07-15 05:29:40]    file - C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Reader\9.3\ARM\AdbeRdrUpd932_all_incr.msp;C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Reader\9.3\ARM\AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp
[2010-07-15 05:29:40]    args -
[2010-07-15 05:30:04] Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\ACE.dll.
[2010-07-15 05:30:04] ** Setting Error Condition:
[2010-07-15 05:30:04]    Error Code: 1500

[2010-07-15 05:30:07] Installation error code:
[2010-07-15 05:30:07]    Error Code: 1603

[2010-07-15 05:30:07] Error Code: 1603

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I assume the following

• the update is initiated automatically (by AdobeARM)?
  • the account on which it was running was not an Administrator account?

Can you try to download and install the update manually, either running from an Administrator account, or run it 'As Administrator?  Download the update from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/misc/AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp (if your Reader is 9.3.2), or download the full installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe (Eglish version).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

The reader update fails both when initiated automatically, and also when run from my download folder (file name AdbeRdrUpd933_all_incr.msp).

I am using my administrator account and it still fails; I don't know how to elevate an .msp file to "run as administrator"

I have not tried the exe file. It is likely to wipe out my reader dll, so should I still try this exe download?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are running the update from your Administrator account, you don't need to additionally 'Run as Administrator' (which you would do by right-clicking on the installer).

I think you should try to investigate that specific file that is mentioned in the error message: ACE.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader - right-click on it and check the Properties & permissions.  Also check the install folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again. There is no option to "run as administrator" when you right-click an .msp or .msi file.

I have UAC turned off.

The permissions look OK, but I have attached a copy of the screen shots. The same file and folder in the Reader 8.0 path

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2010 Jul 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see any screen shots; use the camera icon to insert images into the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. Here are the screen shots:

permissions_2.jpgpermissions.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks OK to me too, but I really don't know what's wrong.

I suggest that you uninstall the Reader completely, then download and run the full 9.3.3 installer http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it didn't work. I followed your advice and added two steps 1) I deleted the Reader 9 folder before installing and 2) ran the exe file "as administrator".

It failed with the same error. Out of curiosity, I looked at the security of the Ace.dll file while the error dialog was still displayed. Incredibly, I was able to hit retry and the ace.dll was properly written but the error occurred on another file. I tried again to display the security properties and got the strangest message that I don't have permission to display permissions. Wow! Something really wierd is going on. Screen shots below. I still think the best answer would be to update the Technote with Win 7 procedure:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html

error 1321_2.jpgerror 1321_3.jpgerror 1321.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there. I am still waiting for a solution. I've tried some other ideas like varying the level of UAC security from high to disabled with no luck. I also tried installing to a custom directory in case the ownership of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe" was messed up. I'm sure that Microsoft does not make it easy to install third party software, but a big company like Adobe should have experts to help poor users like me. So, please help! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify: this is a user-to-user forum, and Adobe support staff does not usually make any appearances here.

Regarding your problem: it is one that I have never seen before.  Unfortunately I am not familiar with Windows 7 (I am still using Windows 2000 and XP), so I do not have any additional suggestions.

Hopefully someone with Windows 7 experience may be able to help you.  See also this post http://forums.adobe.com/message/2998888#2998888

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully someone else will reply.

I did look at the other post you mention and tried the advice for " C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0) and run AdobeARM.exe as administrator ". The same error 1321 occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the similar problem, and it got resolved with the below steps,

1. Uninstall Reader 9
2. If uninstalled then please navigate to this folder, C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\ and then DELETE all the leftover files/folders
3. And then run the full installer reader 9.3.3 from the location, http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr 933_en_US.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I had already tried this suggestion earlier in this thread. The EXE file of the update 9.3 also failed with the error 1321 even when "run as administrator". I feel the solution will be more complicated like in this TechNote: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html

As you can read, there is no procedure for Windows 7 and Adobe's user community is not happy with the support. I am stuck on Version 8 until someone posts a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in that case, MSI logging information would be useful to track down the issue. Can you enable the MSI log as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300 And then try to install Reader 933 full installer, once the error 1321 comes up, go to temp folder (type %temp% at the run dialog) and look for the MSI log (The new log's file name is random, but begins with the letters "Msi" and end with a .log extension)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same thing except it is sporatic... We did about 100 upgrades and 4 of them failed 2 on windows 7 and 2 on XP so I would think you cant call it just one OS.

This is the failure I am getting in all my cases..

Error 1321.The Installer has insufficient privileges to modify the file C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.

And the installation is being performed by an AD Domain Admin Service Account so it has administrative rights...

Anyone else have anything new to add..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try this TechNote for your 2 Windows XP failures: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html

It is for a different Adobe product but maybe you can use a similar procedure to update the privileges. I am dumbfounded why the installer has insufficient privileges when the directories are created by Adobe during the installation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The KB you mention:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300 does not apply to Windows 7. That registry key for windows\installer does not exist. I wonder if the msi logging would be helpful since the event log at the top of this thread is very specific. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same information to enable MSI log for Vista can be used for Win 7 too. The problem can be tracked down if,

1. MSI log can be provided, Or,

2. Command cacls.exe can be tried at your end, The KB article http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403915.html has the command line info at the end, which can be used for Win 7 as well. The below procedure can be followed,

Note: You must elevate the level of permissions for Win 7 with UAC enabled.
On Windows 7
Choose Start > Programs > Accessories.
Right-click on Command Line and select Run As Administrator.

If Error 1321 is being caused due to some file e.g. if it's ACE.dll, then it's containing folder i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" is to be mentioned in the below command line. The below 2 commands in blue can be typed at the command line and the end press Enter Key. Hope it helps.

C:\Windows\system32>cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" /T /E /C /G Administrators:F
C:\Windows\system32>cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" /T /E /C /G SYSTEM:F

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2010 Jul 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your suggestion and also keeping this thread alive. I had some hope when you suggested turning UAC on and also took the time to provide details on what to enter at the elevated command prompt. Too bad that the problem still persists. I was able to get past the acc.dll like I reported earlier in this thread, but not the next dll. See screen shots below. Interestingly, the Adobe installer couldn't delete this JP2KLib.dll as part of the rollback after the failure. This the command prompt log:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>cacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader" /T /E
/C /G Administrators:F
processed dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader
ACCESS_DENIED: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\JP2KLib.dll

C:\Windows\system32>

dll.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2010 Aug 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your issue, it seems like your permission has been somehow corrupted and even the installer is not able to modify the dll. You will have to get rid of the those files (e.g. JP2KLib.dll etc.) which are not being modified by the installers. My suggestion would be to follow the below steps,

1. Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility, though it's not supported by Microsoft anymore. But it's available from other third party software download sites

2. Remove Reader 9 with the help of this utility

3. Navigate to the folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\" and Manually DELETE the folder "Reader 9.0"

Hope, it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is getting long and you probably missed that I have already addressed the issue of the installer not cleaning up. I've been able to clean up and delete all the files and folders manually after each failure. Each time I must also reinstall Reader 8 since the roll-back fails. I've even chosen another path for the Reader 9 installation without any luck. The corruption is occuring each time I attempt an installation and the folders and files do not exist prior to running the install exe. So, unless the utility you mention deals with hidden details of the installer do I really need it? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since, your attempt to uninstall Reader and manually delete the files didn't work, it most certainly is a case of a corrupt installation.

As mentioned earlier, you can download the Microsoft Cleaner Utility (not supported anymore) from the below location to clean out any leftover traces of the application after uninstallation.:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

You shoud be able to successfully install Adobe Reader after the cleanup is completed.

Hope this works for you...!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion, but the cleanup utility did not find an entry for Reader 9. See the screen shot highlighted in yellow that only Reader 8 is in the list. How can I use the utility when there is nothing to select? Also, the Reader 9 update failed the very first time when I tried to install on a brand new HP Windows 7 notebook PC. So, corruption was probably not the reason for the first error 1321.

cleanup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi outpaddling,

Remember, you tried the "cacls" command and it did not work for you. I spent sometime on it and found that on Win7, there's command called "takeown" on Win7, which allows an administrator to recover access to a file/folder that was denied by re-assigning file ownership.

Could you try the following?

Note: You must elevate the level of permissions for Win 7 with UAC enabled.
On Windows 7
Choose Start > Programs > Accessories.
Right-click on Command Line and select Run As Administrator.

If Error 1321 is being caused due to some file e.g. if it's ACE.dll, then it's containing folder e.g. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" is to be mentioned in the below command line. The below command in blue can be typed at the command line and the end press Enter Key.

C:\Windows\system32>takeown /f "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /r /d y && icacls "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0" /grant administrators:F SYSTEM:F /t

After running the command, you should be seeing something like this,

Successfully processed 1367 files; Failed processing 0 files

And then try installing Reader 9.3.3 from http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3.3/enu/AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe

Hope, it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines