Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with RH8

Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded from RH7 to RH8.  We're having issues opening the project in RH8.  After I installed the 2 patches (8.01 and 8.0.2) , I'm no longer getting the error message ".cpd is corrupted..." but still unable to open the file.  It looks like it wants to open but I get stuck on the "fetching stylesheet" part and in the Task Manager it says Robohelp has stopped responding...

I'm not sure where to go from here and would greatly appreciated on any ideas on what to do next.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've repeatedly had problems with the cpd file and i just go in and delete it. Not sure if that's the kosher way around it....but it has never impacted our files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trashing the CPD is perfectly OK. There's even an option under Tools > Options to have RH automatically do this everytime it opens a project.

There's more information on my site about opening RH projects when you have problems.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Luck. I deleted the .cpd file and attempted to open the xpj and now just getting a white blank screen.  What else should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long are you leaving the white screen? It may take a while.

If no luck, make a copy of the project and try opening that from the HHP file. Back to reading that page on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to opne the project in RH8 but now it looks like there red x mark next to all of the topic.  How could have this resolved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to consider taking a step back. I had very similar issues when upgrading from RH5 to RH7 a while back. I ended up totally uninstalling 7, reinstalling 5, opening the project backup made in RH 5, and deleting the cpd file THERE first. Addressed a few minor broken links, and then started the upgrade all over again. (Made a backup of the cleaned up RH5 project first!!!)  The upgrade went off without a hitch.

True, you are going from 7 to 8. But I have to wonder if the problems you are experiencing really began in 7, and should be fixed there first.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're able to open the project in RH7 fine so I don't understand why I'm getting these broken links ALL of the topics.  I right click on each one in Project Manager and select Restore but it's not working.  I'm still getting the x next to them.  Is there another way to restore the topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project is damaged because you opened it in RH before the 802 patch was applied. If you read the article I have pointed you to, it tells you how to repair things. Sorry but there is no quick fix, you have to do what is described there.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We made sure to have a backup of the project.

- Installed the service releases of 8.0.1 and 8.0.2

- Tried to open the project in RH 8

- got a prompt to "Upgrade" the project 

-  this is where I have the issue

-RH8 is going through the process of opening the project

- I got stuck on the part "fetching style sheet"  halfway through the process

- Checked the Task Manager and now the status is showing "Not Responding" - so I cancel it

- Attempt to open the project again in RH8

- Going through the process of opening the project again

- Then I got the error message ".cpd is corrupted...need to delete..."

- I deleted the cpd file and try again to open the RH8 but no luck

We having been working with this project in RH7 just fine with no issues.   I called Adobe Support but they were not help at all.  They directed me to this forum.  I'm totally stuck and don't know what is the next best step.  I would greatly appreciated any help on this issue opening project in RH8.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In RH6, the "cpd is corrupt" message is often triggered by the rhvariable.apj file being blank. Not sure if this is also the case with RH7, but it might be worth looking at.

If you have a working project, you can copy the content from there. In RH6, it looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="windows-1252"?>

<rhpml majorversion="1" minorversion="0">

<variables/>

</rhpml>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rhvariable issue should not apply to RH8.

When you looked in Task Manager, did you just look at Applications or did you look at the Processes and Performance tabs? The latter are more better indicators.

How big is the project and how long did you let it run? The upgrade can take a while as it has to rewrite the code in every topic.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The project 1 GB.  I let it run for a long time (20 minutes) before I check the Task Manager and noticed that RH is not responding.

Today I attempted again to open the project (clean backup) in RH 8.  Same issue...I get up to the "Fetch Style Sheet" and half way through the process is where I get stuck and RH has stopped responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the supplied sample projects open OK?

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I took Imadren suggestion and did the following:

- Decided to focus on the project in RH7 because I was able to open it.

- In the "Broken Links" folder, found a lot of topics that were broken.

- I restored all of the broken links and saved the project

- Opened the project again in RH7 to check the broken links and there were none

- I went ahead and deleted the CPD file

- Next I decided to upgrade the the project in RH8 and was able to open it with no issues.

Thank you all for your help!  It was greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp