• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5: Configuration Error (Error 5)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2010 Jun 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed CS5 Premium. When I try to start InDesign CS5, I get this error: "Configuration error. Please uninstall and reinstall the product. If this problem still occurs, please contact Adobe technical support for help, and mention the error code shown at the bottom of the screen. Error: 5. http://www.adobe.com/support/". It looks like this:

Screen shot 2010-06-01 at 9.21.01 PM.png

I've uninstalled and reinstalled. It did not help; I got this same error again. I went to the Adobe support page and found nothing useful. I see it says "contact Adobe technical support," but I am trying my best to sort this out on my own before getting in the support queue.

Has anyone else had this trouble?

Perhaps related, perhaps not, when I try to start Photoshop CS5, it brings me to the 30-day trial activation screen. This, despite the fact that I entered my serial number for the suite when installing it. If I put the serial number into the activation screen, it rejects it as invalid for the product (from what I read, it should be accepted ... a document here on Adobe's website said any application in the suite should accept the suite serial number). I know the serial number is good, because it works on my other machine (it installed fine and works on my desktop, and this is the laptop I am trying to get to work). InDesign, Photoshop, and Bridge are the only products in the suite installed on this machine. Bridge works fine.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

@Peter,

In this case, the Error 5 is an AMT error at launch, not the corrupted file error you're thinking of. Most likely there is some bad or missing data in the AMT database files (PCD/Caps), and using the newer CS5 Clean script to remove just the CS5 product data, then reinstlalling, would solve the issue. I'm in communication with Michael offline to help him try this.

Cheers!

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I receive the same error message. Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found a solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide information about system configuration.

If you don't have any other version of Adobe on your system then you can run CS3 Clean Script on level 4 on your machine. This will actually remove all Adobe componentes from your machine and then try the installation..

Cheers,

Swapnil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Swapnil,

What do you mean by system configuration and how to run CS3 Clean Script on level 4?

Thanks!

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 12:21:33 -0600

To: maylmy88@hotmail.com

Subject: InDesign CS5: Configuration Error (Error 5)

Hi,

Can you please provide information about system configuration.

If you don't have any other version of Adobe on your system then you can run CS3 Clean Script on level 4 on your machine. This will actually remove all Adobe componentes from your machine and then try the installation..

Cheers,

Swapnil

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2010 Jul 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

By system configutration I mean if your system is ok to run ID CS5 or not. Below mention is the link here you will see the minimum system requirements for running ID CS5:

You can download the CS3 clean script from:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

How to run cs3 clean script:

Just install the utility and then run the the file. Terminal windows will open in MAC and then it will ask for your account password. just type in the password in as it will not show on terminal window and hit enter. Then follow the onscreen instructions..

Cheers,

Swapnil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swapnil,

There is no longer a CS3 clean script, only CS5. It's highly unlikley that the OP would have been able to install ID if the system did not meet the minimum requirements as the installer does a sytem check and will throw an error if they are not met.

As far as error code 5 goes, if you google it you'll find that if it pops up while trying to open a file (including during an auto-recovery after a crash) there's pretty much no hope for the file beyond trying to recover through Markzware's ID2Q and Q2 ID plugins for Quark and ID respectively. Markzware will attemtop the recovery for you if you don't own Both ID and Quark, along with the plugins. The fee is about $100/file, I think, which is not unreasonable for a large file, and there is no charge if they don't succeed.

If you get this error on a clean launch before trying to open a file, you have a seriously damaged installation and you should remove it, run the CS5 clean script, and reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter for the information..

You are right as per the system requirements is concern it will not instaall or run properly if installed some how till the time system dosen't meet the minimum requirements. But personally I feel CS3 is much better than CS4 and CS5. Also i have provided with the link for CS3. May be Adobe going to remove it from the website soon.

Yeah error 5 is related to file  but this message is when launching ID CS5. So if user can let let us know if it while double clicking on Indesign.exe or while double clicking the file directly...????

Cheers,

Swapnil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CS3 script has been gone for quite some time. That link goes to the CS5 script now, if it works at all. As far as your preference for CS3, that's not terribly relevant to the question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I just checked the link and infact downloaded the CS3 file on my system just right now. If you wnat to check here it is:

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

Cheers,

Swapnil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peter,

In this case, the Error 5 is an AMT error at launch, not the corrupted file error you're thinking of. Most likely there is some bad or missing data in the AMT database files (PCD/Caps), and using the newer CS5 Clean script to remove just the CS5 product data, then reinstlalling, would solve the issue. I'm in communication with Michael offline to help him try this.

Cheers!

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2010 Aug 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For System Requirement the link is :http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/design/systemreqs/

Cheers,

Swapnil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the CS5 clean script between installs, and it did not help. The error occurs (for me) when I first launch the software. I mean, on the very first use, having never created a file in InDesign or any of the other CS5 apps as yet on that machine. Reinstalling did not correct the problem, but I could give it one more shot I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see this tech doc about the configuration error:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/827/cpsid_82744.html

You receive the error because permissions for certain folders are not set correctly, and the document steps you through how to correct these.

Once you corrected the permissions, please uninstall and reinstall your CS5 Suite. If you continue to see the same error, we'll need to take a look at some installation log files to figure out what's going wrong. Please send me a private message through the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2010 Jul 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for the sake of the general discussion and keeping everyone appraised of the situation, I uninstalled CS5 again (for the 3rd or 4th time!), ran the CS5 cleanup script (again), and did the repair permissions on the folders as mentioned in a tech doc previously posted. And then reinstalled CS5. And I am still getting the same Configuration Error 5, which pops up when I first run InDesign CS5 after reinstalling it. Illustrator CS5 gives the same error. Photoshop CS5 runs, but pops up with the Trial version nonsense (as previously mentioned in my original post), asking for a serial number, but of course it still won't accept the suite serial number. If I click "continue trial" it will run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is now fixed. Apparently it was corrupted or otherwise inaccessible data in the registration database; I had to enter my old serial number (the one I upgraded from) again, but otherwise no ill effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suite!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2011 Aug 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have the same problem I have used the CS5 cleaner tool, but unfortuantely this did not work.

Are you able to enlighten me about how you finally got it working and making files accessible I think I may have also have to re-enter my old serial # are you able to provide the steps you took...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the Adobe suite on my external 2 Tb hard drive ( MAC OS X Snow Leopard) to save room on my MacBook Pro. When I start from the external hard drive, I can open all the adobe applications that were installed. When I try to open inDesign CS5.5  from the MacBook Pro (MAC OS X Snow leopard) I get the error message, Error 5. Both were installed together.

Before I erased Lion and reinstalled  Snow Leopard, I was able to open inDesign without any issues.

I have also removed all the Adobe Applications with the cleaner and reinstalled them. I can open Photoshop CS5.1 on the Macbook Pro but still not inDesign 5.5.

I am in 64 bit mode.

Not many of the apps I have will run in Lion.

What is my issue?

Will CS5.0 run from an external hard drive?

Richard

Message was edited by: fryguy01

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me explain further. I am on a MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I am running the internal Hard Drive on 10.6.8 and I an able to access many programs off my 2TB Simpletech Duo Pro Drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) running 10.6.8.

I  updated Adobe CS to 5.5. Was that the change? Can I go back to CS 5?

Why can't I acess these programs on my MacBook Pro anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running the clean script and reinstalling as Matthew suggested above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem and same error message (I run a Imac OSX 10.6.8).

uninstall/reinstall didn't work.

CS5 Clean script didn't work neither.

I found a file named "Adobe PCD" in Usernam/application support/Adobe

I removed it (I placed it on the desktop)

I reinstalled Indesign CS5, an operation that created a new file "Adobe PCD"

I started the application without any problem.

I had to reenter the serial number of photoshop when I started that application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2012 May 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zut alors 5 wrote:

I had the same problem and same error message (I run a Imac OSX 10.6.8).

uninstall/reinstall didn't work.

CS5 Clean script didn't work neither.

I found a file named "Adobe PCD" in Usernam/application support/Adobe

I removed it (I placed it on the desktop)

I reinstalled Indesign CS5, an operation that created a new file "Adobe PCD"

I started the application without any problem.

I had to reenter the serial number of photoshop when I started that application.

This was the fix for me as well! I had the same errors installing InDesign CS6. Removing the Adobe PCD folder and doing a new install fixed the issue.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2014 Jun 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks andrew! that solved it!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines