Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linking to my finished project

New Here ,
Aug 04, 2010 Aug 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've made my help documentation using RoboHelp 7. It is finished and published. Now I want to link to specific help pages from a website. I want the help to appear in a popup. I also want the menu on the left side expanded to the right page.

I've place this link in my page:

<a href="__help/project_name_csh.htm#topicid=some_topic,withnavpane=true,width=700,height=500,toolbar=no,resizable=yes">help</a>

What happens and what goes wrong.

• When I click the link the pop-up will open.
  • The menu is not expanded but collapsed
  • The menu does not work, if I click nothing happens
  • The right help page does display

• When I leave the pop-up open and go back to the website to click another help link
  • The pop-up does not get focus
  • The URL does change
  • The content does not change (copying the url in a new browser does work)
  • Menu is not working

• When I close the pop-up and go back to the website to click another help link
  • The pop-up does get focus
  • The URL does change
  • The content does change
  • Menu is not working

When I go to __help/project_name.htm in a browser the whole help works just fine. Menu works and all.

So how can I:

• have the right content showing in the pop-up?
  • get the menu to work in the pop-up?
  • give it focus?

If anyone can help I would be very pleased. Thanks a lot!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some articles on my site about calling help. Perhaps they will help.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I've been looking through your site. I did find this section: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/calling_webhelp.htm and interesting to me is the section: Calling WebHelp Using Topic IDs (http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/calling_webhelp/using_topic_ids.htm).

This page describes the method I'm using. Exactly as Tyler describes. But still the errors. So no help here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my strong suit this, it's into developer territory. Basically I have assembled information from various sources but I can't help you with the detail.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No worries. Thanks for the effort anyway. But the thing is I don't seem to be able to find anything on the subject anywhere. Any good resources out there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 05, 2010 Aug 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use URLs or Map IDs? I believe that is more common.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Peter,

I'm trying now to use URL's. But still, one time it works. But if you don't close the popup, at the next click the URL in the popup will change but the content will not.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Read the topic on my site, that point is covered.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp