Expand my Community achievements bar.

htmlFileToPDF only works with a ZIP file

Level 2

Hello everybody.

I'm writing a simple Java program with Eclipse as to test the htmlFileToPDF API call.

According to the docs, this API ""Creates a PDF document from an input HTML file or a ZIP file containing HTML files and/or Image files. For ZIP files, this method searches the ZIP contents for the index.html file. It then uses the index.html as the document root."

So I created a simple Java program (mostly taken from http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/programLC/help/000213.html#1548718 - Converting HTML content to a PDF document using the Java API) but it only seems to work when the inputDocument is a ZIP file which contains the index.html file.

As an examples, considering the following lines:

FileInputStream is = new FileInputStream("C:\\index.html");
     Document inHTML = new Document(is);
     HtmlToPdfResult result = pdfGenClient.htmlFileToPDF(
          inHTML,
     );

With the above example, when the class executes I got the following exception:

ALC-PDG-080-019-Input file File.zip does not contain the index html file

If I change the first line to read

FileInputStream is = new FileInputStream("C:\\test.zip");

and the test.zip file does contain the index.tml file, everything works as expected.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rob

4 Replies

Level 10

Use  htmlToPDF instead of htmlFileToPDF.

Jasmin

Level 2

Hi Jasmin!

First of all, thank you for your reply.

Well, far from me from being a nitpicker but isnt's htmlToPDF supposed to perform an HTML -> PDF conversion of an URL?

According to the docs, htmlToPDF "creates a PDF document from an HTML file located at a given URL"; the input parameter inputURL is the URL of the HTML page you want to convert.

OK, even files on a filesystem can be can be accessed as URLs but is there something wrong with the htmlFileToPDF API?

I'm new to LCES2 so I might be wrong but, from the docs, I thought htmlFileToPDF was well suited for what I was trying to achieve; or perhaps the doc for this API has to be amended?

Thanks,

Rob

Level 10

I though you wanted to create it from a URL sorry. I just glanced through the post.

The documentation is fine. htmlFileToPDF can convert html content.

The trick is you need to put it in a document variable (com.adobe.idp.Document) and set a property to a temporary  name so it knows it's a single file and not a zip.

Document htmlDoc = new Document(htmlContent.getBytes());
htmlDoc.setAttribute("file", "Temp.html");

Jasmin

Level 2

Hi Jasmin.

No need to apologize and thanks for your help.

I'm pretty new with LCES2 APIs so I did not pay enough attention to the setAttibute() method; by following your example, everything now works as expected.

Thanks,

Rob