Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

importing PDF to robohelp not working

Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone know why a PDF file wouldn't import into robohelp 8?  I've tried saving it into different formats, but still no luck.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

In my own experience sometimes PDFs won't import because of the manner in which they have been created. For example, maybe the PDF is protected in some way? I've also seen PDFs that were "too complex" for RoboHelp to import them and I had to fiddle with the different ways of importing the content in order to make them come in.

In the worst case scenario, you can always leave the content as a PDF and just add it to baggage and create a link to open it up.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Rick has said, it can depend on the tool used. What was used to create the PDF and what compatibility level was set? Try setting it to Acrobat 5, and no I'm not kidding.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2011 Jan 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing PDF files rather than linking because of the number of PDF we have. The PDF files are from our 3rd party vendors and will be various compilations.

I am not sure what you mean by "Try setting it to Acrobat 5, and no I'm not kidding." I am not an Acrobat expert. I was, however, trained on RoboHelp by the esteemed Rick Jones years ago. See attached image for specifics on the PDF that I am currently trying to import. I have Acrobat 9 Extended Pro.

PDF.gif

Can you tell me how to convert to Acrobat 5 or is there some  RoboHelp 8 settings that will import without distortion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean Rick Stone?

When the PDF is created, it can be set to be compatible with a specific version of Adobe Reader. That is where it has to be set as being compatible with 5.

In your case you are not creating the PDF. You could try printing the PDF to a new PDF file and setting the compatibility there. I don't know how well that will work.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter

Indeed she means me. I recall working with Verlean during an intensive one-on-one three day combination Captivate and RoboHelp class.

If memory serves, she was working at Raytheon in Dallas, TX at the time.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

I did not realize I had called Rick "Jones", yes I meant Stone. I will try and my results later!

Rick, you are correct I was working a contract at Raytheon at the time. Great memory!

Verlean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Looks like all the PDFs were created using -

Application: QuarkXPress 7,31

PDF Producer: Adobe Distiller 6.0 for Macintosh

PDF Version: 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x)

I haven't had much luck re-converting them. The files still come in distorted. These are 3rd party catalogs and they get rearranged.

This is how the original PDF looks

1-13-2011 8-37-14 PM.gif

This is how it looks after importing it into Robohelp. The wording at the top is from the bottom of the original PDF.

1-13-2011 8-37-51 PM.gif

I will keep playing with and keep posting results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp