Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How do I keep radio buttons from copying, scrambling and crashing the program?

Level 2

Hi, Everybody,

I'm working on a project with 10 sets of 7 radio buttons.  The rest of the form seems to be okay, but when I try to do anything with radio buttons, everything goes wrong.

when I select the seven buttons for a group and put them in a radio button group, frequently it copies and makes another set that I don't want.  Same when I select them to align them. 

I make a radio button, resize it, and then make 6 copies... and end up with some in the group, and some not.  And I'm only on the third set of buttons and the last several times the program just locked up and I had to restart.

I saved version 29 of the file (I'm saving frequently as you might imagine) and LiveCycle crashed.  When I opened version 29 it opened the New Form Assistant and after I pressed Next it produced a message box that said "Invalid PDF file."

Is there an easier way to put a radio button and the text it goes to and have them align both vertically and horizontally?  The text was imported from a PDF that was created by Word... Do I need to put the text the radio button connects to in the radio button caption?

If I was doing this in Word, I'd use a table... one 2-column row for radio button and text.

Are there clear, step by step instructions for creating this radio button group with the aligned text somewhere.

Thanks,

Kay

9 Replies

Former Community Member

I woudl use the caption of the radiobutton ....it is much easier to control one object as oppposed to 2.

Just my 2 cents worth

Paul

Level 2

Hi, Paul,

Good advice. I ended up trying that last night... and it seems to be a lot easier, in spite of having to cut and paste. Thank you.

Kay

Level 2

Okay, I've put the text from the

text field into the radio button caption.

I'm still having a problem with selecting a single radio button and resizing it.  The program still makes a copy, even if I'm just resizing.

Is there a secret setting that I need to figure out, or is this just a matter of undoing until it works?

Kay

Level 2

Another problem.

Copying the text from the text field to the radio button caption.  When I save, it crashes, and won't reload the crashed file.

My gut feeling is that I'm working too fast for the program.  Is that a possibility?

I've deleted the settings directory that Paul had me delete when the system wouldn't come up again.

I just selected 7 radio buttons.  Select, hold Control, select the next one.  on the third select, it copied the selected files.  I did not do a control-c.

What's going on here?

Kay

Former Community Member

There is a Windows standard shortcut for copy and paste that if you hold the Ctrl key and select and do not release the mouse before selecting the next object (so you drag what you already selected) it will act as a copy and paste what you have already selected. Drives me crazy but that is working as advertised. Same thing happens in native Windows (try it on your desktop) and you will see the same behaviour.

Paul

Level 2

Wow. I've been using Windows since 3.1 and I've never had this kind of problem with any other program. (I'm not saying I don't believe you) So it copies, then I undo, and try it again... and then it crashes.

It's driving me crazy, too.

Do I need to reinstall, or is there a way to tell if the file is corrupt, other than trying to reload it and having it say it's not a valid file?

Kay

Former Community Member

Are you saving as a PDF or an XDP?

I do not know why the file is getting corrupt. If you want to email a corrupt file to me I can have a look and see if there is something taht jumps out at me.

Send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul

Level 2

I'm either doing Save or Save As with a new version name.

I sent you a copy of the file.

If you can fix this, I'll send you a large bouquet of turnips... or my undying thanks.

Is there a way to copy a hunk of a LIveCycle file into another LiveCycle file?

Kay

Former Community Member

Yes you can simply lasoo the area of one form - copy it to the clip board - then paste it into another. Note that all scripts and setting s for the objects will be included in the copy/past operation.

Paul