Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dreamweaver with 2 monitors?

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

its my first time I really want to do something productive with Dreamweaver, so I'm a totally newby.
My searches weren't successful and so I'm trying to get my problem solved here. 😉

I've got a 2nd screen and I want to use booth screens. On my 1st screen there should be the normal (!) editor layout. The 2nd should be just a live-preview.

Normally Dreamweaver displays both in one window. Is there a possibility to separate them?

Thanks for your support!
floo

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

I've got a 2nd screen and I want to use booth screens. On my 1st screen there should be the normal (!) editor layout. The 2nd should be just a live-preview.

Normally Dreamweaver displays both in one window. Is there a possibility to separate them?

No.  But you can put lots of other stuff (like all of the Panels) over on the 2nd screen, allowing you to essentially fill the first screen with Design/Split/Code view.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  But you can put lots of other stuff (like all of the Panels) over on the 2nd screen, allowing you to essentially fill the first screen with Design/Split/Code view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong, but I'm not sure you can have both editor view and live view in two separate windows... I might be wrong!

What I do is have my second screen for all of my panels leaving just the code and the editor/live view side by side on the main screen. I then switch to live view as and when needed. Having said that, What I get in dreamweaver doesn't always translate the same in firefox, safari or IE, and each of the browsers do different things to each other sometimes! So, as far as I am concerned, DW's live view should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you see what I am saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DW's live view should be taken with a pinch of salt, if you see what I am saying.

DW's Live view is Safari - nothing more, and nothing less.  Safari is definitely not InternetExplorer so expect to see equivalent variations between all the browsers.  But DW's Live view is WAY better than Design view if you are tied to visual development.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thank you all for your really fast support! Respect!

My way I decided is: I will have dreamweaver with the code on my 1st screen. On the 2nd I will have some panels and Opera. Opera refreshes every second, so I always have an actual image of the website.

But most of the Time I think, I won't need Opera. It's just really comfortable when you have to fix something.

@Internetexplorer: I think that's problem for itself....

Thanks!

floo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's might be late answer but for those who still thinking how to work better with DW on 2 monitors, you can just stretch your DW's window onto second screen, then minimise code windows and drag middle separater to the right/left edges of your monitors

I personally prefer open up onto second screen a browser and the multiscreen preview window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you choose design (or live) set on your primary screen, you can press F10 to display the Code Inspector and you can drag this to your second screen.

Only problem is that it doesn't work for CSS files.

I hope this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go to:

Window > Code Inspector

This will give you a separate coding window, that you can resize and drag around the screen to put it where you want it.

Then you can set your main window to Live View and code in the Code inspector.

The Code Inspector is really a panel, so it will always sit in front if you position it over the other Dreamweaver windows, and it won't be visible while you're working in other applications (but will return to view when you come back to Dreamweaver).

But, other than those inconveniences, it 's a decent workaround to the lack of ability to see the same file in separate windows.

Hope this helps! I'm using it right now!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2015 Oct 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That.... Is awesome. I'm teaching myself web design and this trick is great. I have 3 monitors, so I have my live view on the right monitor, code inspector/css panel in the center, and remaining panels on the left. Thanks!

Chad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines