• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem with importing animated gifs

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi i'm trying to use an animated gif in my project. Basically my after effects project is just a countdown from 10 to 0 while the animated gif spins continuously during the countdown. My problem is when I use the animated gif the background it is no longer transparent and the background is instead white. How do I make it transparent again in after effects? Next the animated gif is about a 2 second loop, it won't let me drag the bars to extend the time to 10 seconds. How do I loop it for 10 seconds?

These aren't musts, but if anyone could, help would be greatly appreciated:

1) For the text effect 'numbers' (which I used for the countdown effect) it always renders really shaky and bouncy when i preview it. Is that normal?

2) It has the time as 00:00:00:00 (type: timecode 30). How do I make so it only shows 00:00 ?

Any help would be awesome.

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2010 Aug 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is when I use the animated gif the background it is no longer transparent and the background is instead white.

Correct. As a conmpositing program, AE requires proper Alpah transparency, not palette-based transparency. File must be converted to an image sequence with Alpha channel.

Next the animated gif is about a 2 second loop, it won't let me drag the bars to extend the time to 10 seconds. How do I loop it for 10 seconds?

Footage interpretation --> Loops

1) For the text effect 'numbers' (which I used for the countdown effect) it always renders really shaky and bouncy when i preview it. Is that normal?

Yes, it's normal if you are using a non-monospaced font. Use a suitable font.

2) It has the time as 00:00:00:00 (type: timecode 30). How do I make so it only shows 00:00 ?

Use multiple layers and effects and mask them out.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mylenium thank you for your response. Is there an easy way to convert the gif to a image sequence with an alpha channel?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XnView, ACDSee, Irfanview or any image viewer/ converter via their File --> Save as... options or batch processing. If you have Photoshop, you can do this by adding the GIF as a video layer and exporting to an image sequence (TIF, PSD etc.).

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported the gif to photoshop and saved it as a psd (it doesn't let me click on a checkbox for alpha channels, is that ok?)

Next how do i exactly get after effects to see it is an animation even though it is a psd? I thought it would be simple and just put import as footage, but then it asks me layer options and all that other stuff. I tried playing around with a few options, but it just seems to come in as a still image.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2010 Aug 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines