Expand my Community achievements bar.

dynamic asset selection for assign tasks operations

Level 1

Hi,

I have a default workflow which could be used by a lot of different specific workflows (every specific worklow has a part where the manager and the workers council has to approve). I would like to build this workflow part as a subprocess that could be used by all the other workflows.

My problem is that every specific workflow uses an own flex UI or PDF form to represent the process data. In the assign task operation I need to choose a specific asset. To be able to use the subprocess for all workflows I would need to choose the asset dynamically through a variable or xPath etc.

Is there an option or workaround to specify the asset by its name or a variable?

Thanks and regards,

Lars

8 Replies

Level 10

In the "Presentation & Data" section of the User service, select "Use a Document Variable" option.

You'll need to populate a document variable with the form you want to use before getting to the user step.

Jasmin

Level 1

Hi Jasmin,

but this would only work for PDF forms, not for Flex UI, right? I have some processes that use .swf files as assets...

Cheers,

Lars

Level 10

A document variable can contain anything.

So it shoudl work for swf file too.

Jasmin

Level 1

Sorry, I don't get it. Maybe you can provide some more details?!

If I use an asset (i.e. a swf file) I can also provide the task data (i.e. xml) to have the flex UI filled with this data. If the user submits the task, I get the (new) data back as the result data.

If I choose the document instead of the asset, I need to prepare the document with the data first (I know this from using pdf forms). I need to render the pdf and provide it as the document to the operation. How do I do this with a flex UI?

How do I get the (new) data back after the user submits changes? I still got the output "result data" so this shoud/could work, but I am stuck with the preparation of the swf file in the document variable.

Thanks,

Lars

Level 10

Hmmm. If you need the data, that's going to be a problem.

What you need is a way to specify the asset as a variable and still use the same Action profile, but right now we can't do that.

You might have to build your own prepopulation service and call it during load time.

Jasmin

Level 1

Hi Jasmin,

I was afraid of this. This means we would have to update and recompile all of the assets... The other option is to have the "generic part" of the workflow copied to every specific workflow... Both are not not very good.

Do you know if there are plans to have a dynamic selection of the assets (or providing it in a document variable) and still be able to use the action profile like with a hardcoded asset? This would be very smart and one would be able to build realy generic workflows!

Can you try to get some more information on the planning of engineering or maybe try to get this on their todo list :-) ?

Thanks and kind regards,

Lars

Level 10

Another way (might be simpler than other solutions):

You can update the TaskContext variable in Render Process.

I mean, you have to dynamically set the ResourceURL of the TaskContext variable just before rendering.

I applied this logic in my application and it works; (But I dint work with .SWF files)

Hope this may help you.

Nith

Level 10

You can log an enhancement request with support.

I'll try to check what's planned.

Jasmin