• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert 30fps to 60fps?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there reliable way to convert a 24 or 30fps clip to 60fps, in AE CS5? (probably the same in CS4)

Applying Timewarp at 99.99 speed (with Pixel Motion on) doesn't always seem to work. It worked with a 30fps video I tried, but now I have a 24fps one, and it's spitting out tweened frames that aren't very different from the "real" frames (in other words, it's not making the video smoother).

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where there is nothing, there can be nothing. If the difference in motion between frames is below the threshold, of course there is nothing to interpolate. I think you have fallen victim to an urban legend. Video will not automatically look smoother just by doubling the frame rate. You probably are just wasting your render time. I'm really not sure why anyone would even do that unless you need to do a slomo...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Pixel Motion can do interpolation (create tween frames) to create more frames, and increase framerate... I've done it on 30fps clips, to go to 60fps. I'm just having trouble doing it on my 24fps clip now...

Example...

Original (go to 720p size): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOzFDQs4zzo

60 fps version (no sound): http://www.mediafire.com/?xx1hh7cjgubmw7c

(if you look closely, you can see these weird, garbled frames that Pixel Motion creates at each scene-change. Also, fast-moving objects can cause issues... like the stars behind the probes, at the beginning)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are talking about different things. Increasing fps is pretty meaningless, if the clip is never played at that exact framerate, which applies to a lot of video. You only change the content of the frames for no sensible reason by smooshing in "wrong" pixels. Furthermore, I really don't see the point in adding inbetween frames at the cost of reducing overall sharpness and getting that floaty feel. The resulting frames are never physically exact, anyway, as neither their direction sampling nor their timing mimics a true shutter. Call me old-fashioned, if you will, but I truly don't see any use case for this. In mixed media projects, there may be conformed clips, but nobody would treat all footage just at whim. If this is some requirement for a specific delivery system, then okay, but even then I would assume that just doubling frames looks better than interpolating them. Anyway, your issues are very likely due to not obeying pulldown cadences, which naturally occurs when going from 24fps to 30fps/60fps. Check your footage interpretation on that one. Also verify, that your cam actually shot 24fps, not something else, including possibly "fake" 24fps based on 60fps with tagged frames...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The final clip will be played at 60 fps, progressive (on computers - not online video, btw), so I really do need full 60 fps. I understand what you're saying about adding mud to frames, but that's if you're playing them at 24/30/etc fps.

So, for now, I'm just trying to figure out why Pixel Motion acts funny on my clip (btw, I just noticed it's actually 25fps... taken from a Canon T2i). It creates tween frames that only PARTIALLY follow the motion of the next and previous "real frames", thus leaving gaps in the motion still.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check the threshold settings in the Timewarp effect and the motion sensitivity. You may even need to animate those parameters or split your clips. Also consider spending the money and using Twixtor, which allows to do this even more selectively using masks and tracking data as guidance.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines