• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why XML?

Explorer ,
May 21, 2010 May 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't find any information about the purpose of the XML output. What is it for? Where can I find information about what its purpose and use is?

~Margaret

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Margaret

To this point we have largely ignored XML. I believe to this point it was really for folks that wanted to produce a DocBook or DITA type format.

But recently Adobe has been working on a script that brings new importance to the XML output format. The script converts your help content into a format called ePubs. ePubs format is viewable on many different devices. Phones, eBook readers, etc.

You may read more about this at the following blog post:

Click here to read

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. I'm not getting it. I followed the instructions in the blog post, but nothing with the extension .epub was created. What can I be missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the same with the same results. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried it, but looking at the blog post instructions, I think there's a typo at step 4 where you tell the script where the 7za.exe program is found - I don't think you should have double backslashes in your path.

Someone else has created an .epub file and gave a mini-review of it here on the forums - search the RH section for "epub" to find the thread. From what I remember, they weren't too impressed with it, but it was a first step in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed those double backslashes, but left them. Now, I've made them single backslashes, but I'm still not getitng the epub files. The link to the 7za.exe script in Ankur Jain's post is dead. So, I looked for the exe on the web. I downloaded it from www.sourceforge.net. The only exe listed was 7z465, so that's the one I downloaded. Not sure it's the right one. Ankur's instructions say to remove the .zzz file extension, and this file does not have that extension. I put the file in the default location listed in the script (C:\\RoboHelp\ePubGenerator). Didn't get epub files. And now I have removed the extra backslashes. Still no epub files. I looked for the post you mention. There are just a few on this topic. None are particularly flattering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the download of the 7-zip installer - it looks like the 4.65 version's command line executable is called 7z.exe. I would try that in that path command (& leave the double backslashes - the script is full of them I see).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention, when I ran the script the first time, a dialog box told me I needed to download 7-zip. This was not mentioned in Ankur's post.  I did this and now it's in the Program Files folder. I put the 7z.exe in C:\\RoboHelp\\ePubGenerator as shown in Ankur's post. I changed the line in the script to point to 7z.exe and ran the script again. Same results. No epub files. I'm thinking I should create a small test RH project to see if that works. Current project is linked/imported to FM. Contains DHTML effects, dropdowns, and so on. Maybe that's the problem. I thought something would come through, even if it wasn't pretty. Just trying to get proof of concept, and then I'll dive in and work on the format, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deb

I'll be the first to admit that I tried the script with no success when working with an existing project. So I tried as you are suggesting and created a fresh (and simple) project to try. Lo and behold it worked with the fresh project.

Methinks this could be made simpler and the script not so finicky. But hey, it's a first attempt straight out of the gate.

After all, the Wright Brothers' first flight wasn't across continents and in air conditioning, no?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

.Hi Rick,

LOL! Yeah, I knew I'd be in uncharted territory, but I'm up for the adventure! I'm determined to reach my destination. I'll share my journey so others will find their way more easily. Hopefully, those won't be famous last words...

Deb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp