• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links not working in PDF

Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of RH8 and usually generate in Webhelp format. However, I also output the source to printed documentation.

As the source contains so many files, I generate 3 files in .doc format, which I then paste into my own template and PDF it using RoboPDF.

The hyperlinks are active in the Word files and using Ctrl + mouse click takes you to the desired location (from the TOC and the document text).

However, when I PDF the files either by using:

File > Print  and choosing 1-Step RoboPDF   or

RoboPDF > Convert to PDF

The links in the output don't work. I can't find any settings that will remedy this.

Anyone know a workaround/solution.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Feebeegeebee.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

I don't believe you can retain links in the body unless you're using a full Acrobat license (RoboPDF is a "lite" version).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the same problem if you generate using the supplied Style Mapping template?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response.

If you mean the page you eventually get to when you hit "Generate", which allows you to map styles, etc., yes.

I usually map to the project's .css file, but I tried various settings, including mapping to a .dot Word template. Neither made any difference.

None of the links worked.

Regards,

Fiona

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

including mapping to a .dot Word template

What I was getting at was did you map to the supplied Style Mapping template or one of your own?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used my own template.

However, I just tried the one supplied and generated a .doc file. I then chose RoboPDF > Convert to PDF within Word.

The links from the TOC worked, but links within the text did not.

Oddly, I also got a blank page at the beginning of the PDF file (not in the .doc file) which gave the following popup error: "There was a problem reading this document (14)."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have RoboPDF on any machine so I cannot check further.

Could someone else with RoboPDF test this please?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe you can retain links in the body unless you're using a full Acrobat license (RoboPDF is a "lite" version).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter & Leon.

At least this explains why it wasn't working.

Cheers!

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 19, 2011 Jan 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a follow-up to this, while I remember...

...I came up with a workaround for this.

1. Once the Word file is formatted and complete, save it.
  2. Open the Word file in Open Office (available from www.openoffice.org) and click on the PDF button in the toolbar.
  3. Hey presto! You get a PDF with working toc and other links.

Hope it helps someone else who's been frustrated with RoboPDF and its lack of working links.

Feebeegeebee

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems that I remember forum horror stories, over the years, about RH and Open Office on the same machine. Has that been resolved, or is Open Office still causing RH to choke up hair balls?

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2011 Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The problem was related to how you installed Open Office and is covered in Snippets on my site. I don't know if it would still be a problem but it was an easy solution.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp