• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 10 not working in some sites, working fine in others

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2010 Jun 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately I've been having problems viewing videos with Flash Player on many sites in which they viewed fine previously. What I see is a solid black rectangle the size of the video screen. No Player controls. Nothing. I have looked at the page code, but found nothing out of the ordinary. The system on this machine is XP Pro with SPII, and the problem occurs whether using IE 8 or Firefox 3.6.3. The "about" display showed that I had Falsh Player 10.0.32.18 installed on my system, so I downloaded 10.0.45.2 and installed it, hoping that would resolve the problem. Nope.

Presently, going to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ via either IE of Firefox shows that I have version 10.0.45.2 properly installed. The animation plays fine in both browsers.

Today a friend of mine graduated from Temple University in Japan, The graduation cerimony was streamed live (3:30 in the morning my time). I could not watch it. That site was http://www.tuj.ac.jp/graduation2010/video.html The hosting site is UStream, specifically http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tuj-2010-graduation I cannot get any videos on UStream to open. All I see is a black rectangle. My friend's mother had no problem wathing the cerimony with Firefox on her laptop.

Other sites that worked fine recently but no longer ply videos at all on this system are Fox News and NBC News. I have no problem watching Al Jazeera news videos, but their videos post on UTube. I have no problem watching videos on UTube. BBC news videos also run fine, as do videos from many other sites. It makes no difference if I accept or block cookies on the sites that cnnot play the videos. What is different about these sites than the others?

I have read two related threads here, Problem  with sites not loading Flash... and Flash  videos not working on espn.com in any browser , but neither of them had any relevant help to my problem. Re: Flash videos not working on espn.com in any browser Re: Player won't startThe second thread concerned a problem loading videos from ESPN, giving the site

http://espn.go.com/video/category?id=3461971 as an example. but I have no problem watching videos on that site or any other videos on ESPN. Instructions given in the first thread said to delete several files from the C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder, but I had none of the files lilsted.

Is there somthing in my Registry that needs to be tweaked? Is there someting that my antivirus program (Bitstream) may have whacked? I really would like to fix this problem.

Thanks — Tony

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

You are most welcome. Adobe really needs to do a better job of explaining the

consequences of  making changes to the settings in it's Global Settings Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the complete information. Using IE, go to Tools, manage add ons(all add ons) and find Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control...it should have Flash10e.ocx listed which is the vs 10.0.45.2 and must be Enabled.

Next, go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash  Right click on the Flash folder and Open. Post back all files listed there. Sometimes during an Uninstall/Install an old Flash file may not have been removed.

The Anti-Virus Bitstream could be causing a conflict. Do you have any other Security on your system? Does this AV also have it's own Firewall?  If you have a version number, that would be helpful. While you are getting the above info for me,

I'll check on Bitstream.

On the site UStream, you might take a look at their system requirements.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your very quick reply eidnolb

In IE add-ons I show Shockwave Flash Object — Active X Control 10.0.45.2. enabled.

In C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash I have the following items listed:

FlashPlayerTrust (a folder)

NPSWF32.dll

FlashUtil10e.exe

NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe

uninstall_plugin.exe

install.log

Flash10e.ocx

flashplayer.xpt

I miswrote before. The anitivirus program is BitDefender 2010. (Bitstream is a font software comapny, a competitor to Adobe Fonts. Um . . . sorry.)  I've had problems with BitDefender Antivirus whacking my system in various ways, generally via changes to the Registry.

On the UStream site I found the following page — Can't See/View a Stream. I was excited because I have the Adblock Plus extension added to my Firefox, but changing the settings for Adblock Plus had no effect.

I have both Ad-Aware Pro 8.1.4 and BitDefender 2010 on this system, the two setup to be compatable (Ad-Aware's antivirus is disabled, for instance) and no firewall for either. Infact, no software firewalls are active on this system. The router's hardware firewall is the only firewall activated, and other computers accessing the internet through the same router have no problem viewing videos.

Thanks — Tony

. . .  And an aside. How come my profile icon doesn't display in threads? Is there a setting I need to change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, You are ok on the Shockwave Flash Object in IE. Regarding the Flash files for FF, if the NPSWF files after a right click and a click on Properites are vs 10.0.45.2 then those would be correct. However, it is questionable whether the

FlashPlayerTrust is needed anymore or not. Leave it for now, if it becomes a problem it can be removed.

The Flash files for IE are missing the Uninstall_ActiveX.exe file. You may want to re-check to see if perhaps you overlooked it.

Using FF, look for the plug-in SWF vs 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is listed and Enabled.

Now, BitDefender was causing problems with users that I worked with on FF. I'll have to check some info, but BitDefender was blocking the Install of that SWF plug-in into FF. I don't recall off hand how they resolved it, but will find out for you.

I wouldn't be too sure on Ad-Aware & BitDefender not conflicting. If you have the Anti-Virus component of Ad-Aware disabled, then why even have it Installed? Just asking, as that would be my opinion.

Now on the Router, even tho you have no problem with viewing videos, streaming is a different format and that Firewall may interfere. I don't know for sure, just go by the requirements of UStream or the site you are streaming from.

On adblock and adblock plus. I don't know the difference, but adblock to me is Flashblock. After we confirm your Flash files are all correct and the add ons, then we need to address the BitDefender.

You have several issues that need addressed, so we'll take one at a time.

On the profile icon, you mean avatar? I'll have to check. Have thot about one for myself, but always run out of time:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

I'll get that info on BitDefender, while you are checking on some of these items.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy eidnolb,

Both NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe show version 10.0.45.2. The file Uninstall_ActiveX.exe does not  exist anywhere on my system. I did find UNINSTALL_ACTIVEX.EXE-0D9A8307.pf in my Prefetch directory, but that's as close as I could come.

There is no SWF plug-in sowing in my Firefox Add-ons list, nor is there any SWF listing in my Firefox Options/Applications tab.

Even with those missing elements, I don't understand why some Flash movies play normally and others do not play at all. If I go to http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ , the intro Flash movie plays beautifully. I'm more inclined to think that the problem is caused by something blocking specific videos or sites than by a missing piece of Adobe Flash.

BitDefender has caused me a lot of problems. Most of them I have worked out via their forums. One major problem with Firefox was the automatic (no option out) installation of the BitDefender toolbar. That one is still not resolved, although a work-around functions okay until updating the program. There is also a BitDefender toolbar automatically installed in IE, which I have disabled. Disabling the toolbar in Firefox did not eliviate the problems. BitDefender has asked me to let them have access to my system to see what is transpiring within Firefox for themselves, but I have too many security issues to agree to that. I'd like to know what you find from the other BitDefender users. My first thought was that the problem somehow related to BitDefender, but I may be overly gunshy about BitDefender at this point.

On the profile icon, you mean avatar?

Yeah. I might need to talk to the profile  manager about that question.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, ok thanks for all of the searching. The Uninstall_ActiveX.exe is not required in order for the FP to work as long as all other files are there and along with the IE ActiveX Control in the add ons. However, it always is there. When it isn't then

that says that the FP Install for IE was not completed for some reason. Now, does it need to be there if you would ever want to Uninstall FP again and is it used in that process? That I don't know.

In FF, the fact that you don't have the SWF is not a good sign. When you say you have no problem on the Adobe test site, are you using the FF browser? Did you check add ons, plug-ins and extensions? Do check in those areas and then use FF and go to this test site :  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ If you don't have the SWF plug-in, this test should tell you.

BitDefender causes problems for many users. I would not allow them access either. The problem is not Firefox or IE or Flash Player, it is BitDefender. Mandantory Toolbar???? That program is most likely why you don't have the SWF. The problem other users were having was exactly that. Some component of BitDefender was blocking it. After you use FF for the test site above, and give another go checking for the SWF then you might do this: Disable every add on, extenstion or plug-in that BitDefender has in FF and then use FF and see if you can isolate which one it is.

(Haven't gotten to the avatar yet:-)

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy eidnolb,

If I go to the http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ test site, the only comment I see is in a small window labeled Version Information stating "You have version 10.0.45.2 installed" whether I acces the site using IE of FF. No mention of either missing or installed components. I'd be glad to make an image of the page and upload it. I did link over to the Diesel - IronMan showcase from there and watched a couple of IronMan episodes using Firefox without any problem, so it makes me think FlashPlayer is working very nicely even without the SWF add-on. Still, it might work better with the SWF add-on installed. How did you get it to install with the other BitDefender users?

The work-around I came up with for BitDefender with regard to Firefox was to open about:config in Firefox and remove anything with either the BitDefender names for the Firefox folder/files or any path to BitDefender folder/files. That wasn't enough. The fix would only last until I rebooted, at which point BirDefender would reinstall everything again. I had to log into Safe Mode to keep BitDefender from starting, then delete the BitDefender folder containing the Firefox estensions folder and the Firefox files in the BitDefender program outside that folder to keep the toolbar and all from loading. Even so, updating the BitDefender program updates (reinstalls) the folder and files I deleted, so I have to do it all over again. Eventually I'll have to sort through the Regeistry, but even that would  be overwritten with a new update. As far as I can tell, at this moment there is no remnant of BitDefender installed in my Firefox ap at all. IE apparently has the toolbar installed, just disabled. I pretty much never use IE, unless some site cannot operate without using ActiveX or unless I am writing a page and want to make sure it can open in IE, so I haven't dug around to find out what I have to do to prevent BitDefender from installing the IE toolbar.

If there is a way to install the missing Flash Player files manually, I'd like to do that, particularly the SWF plugin for Firefox.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, well, no offense intended but you seem to want to do everything you can to work around BitDefender. Trying to get IE, FF, FP, add ons, Ustream, videos, various websites, etc. to conform to BitDefender. It appears you discount anything I suggest or fail to give it a try. So I hope you can accomplish your goal.

Perhaps BitDefender will be able to do that for you, I cannot and really don't have the time.

Regards,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you seem to want to do everything you can to work around BitDefender

I gave you my BitDefender work-around to help you in dealing with others who have a conflict with Flash Player and BitDefender, not because I was trying to make Flash Player conform to BitDefender. When I first wrote in yesterday I did not know BitDefender was the problem. You've indicated that may well be the case. I'm trying to work with BitDefender to fix their program before their next release, and they are trying to work with me. If BitDefender breaks Flash Player, than it should be in Adobe's interest to get BitDefender to stop breaking Flash Player, as well as Microsoft's and Mozilla's if BitDefender breaks their browsers. I'm just caught in the middle.

The last thing you asked was for me to go to the Flash test sight. You said, "If you don't have the SWF plug-in, this test should tell you." I replied that all I could assertain from the site was that I had version 10.0.45.2 installed — no mention of the SWF plug-in. Did that mean I had the SWF plug-in installed? I don't know.

You asked —

If you have the Anti-Virus component of Ad-Aware disabled, then why even have it Installedt

I found Ad-Aware to be an excellent spy-ware blocker. That's what I bought it for back before they added in there own antivirus program. Upgrading to the latest version of Ad-Aware included the antivirus program, whether I wanted it or not. I didn't, so I ticked the check-box to disable it. It seems what were once good programs by themselves now try to be all-encompassing, jack-of-all-trades suites.

I liked Norton antivirus when Peter Norton was the creative force behind the program, but later iterations created havoc with my systems, so I looked for a replacement antivirus program. BitDefender had a far superior antivirus program to most others on the market when I first bought it. All I wanted in upgrading to its latest version was an improved  antivirus engine, but like Ad-Aware, it has now tried to add in too many features, such as the browser toolbars. I have uninstalled BitDefender several times. The problems it created remained, leaving holes in my Registry where there once were entries, blocking Photoshop's licensing files. You indicated you had worked with other's who had conflicts with Flash Player and BitDefender.

I'll get that info on BitDefender, while you are checking on some of these items.

That would have been great — really the help I would have used.

At the end of your previous e-mail you said —

You have several issues that need addressed, so we'll take one at a time.

We never even got to the first one. The next thing you said was —

It appears you discount anything I suggest or fail to give it a try.

I don't know what I discounted that you suggested. I thoguht I was doing  everything you asked. I do appreciate your taking the time to work with me on a Sunday.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010 Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the avatar image straightened out. I didn't realize that Profile Image and Avatar Image were two different things.

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a  webpage with the same flash content  does not work in all browsers, (Chrome, Opera, IE, Firefox, Safari, etc), go to Adobe's Global Manager web page: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html  or just right click on the blank Flash player and select " Global Settings", navigate to Global Storage Settings Panel  and check the box that says "Allow third party flash content to store data on your computer". This setting applies to your user account ONLY and will have to be checked on every instance of a new user account on your computer(s). While you are there, check the " Never ask Again" box. This will prevent every new site you visit from prompting to allow storage on your computer. ( who cares, it's a temporary allocation). Also check the third box " Store common Flash Components...." (why wouldn't you want this?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks eagle100_3

That was a wicked simple fix, and it worked beautifully!

I had my Global Storage set to disallow third party Flash content storage in what I thought was a privacy/spyware safequard meassure, although I had allowed "store common Flach components". As you said, "why wouldn't you?" I also had "Never ask again" checked, so I really only needed to make one change. After I changed my Global Storage settings as per your suggestions, I immediatly went to several sites where previously I could not open any Flash videos and found that with the changed setting they all opened normally and quiickly. Brought a big smile to my face.

In my Global Storage Settings I was not able to reset my disk allocation amount, which was and remains set to "none". I don't know why I cannot change that, but as all Flash videos now open normally in my browsers with a setting of "none", I don't see that I need to worry about changing it. Fox news did ask to save data to my system, and I clicked to deny it. The video opened and played normally without allowing anything to be saved. You said Flash storage is a "temporary allocation". I'm still apprehensive about spyware coming in through flash content storage. Is this a non problem? If so, I may tackle the allocation setting next.

Thanks again for your help!

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are most welcome. Adobe really needs to do a better job of explaining the

consequences of  making changes to the settings in it's Global Settings Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I have the same problem, I can watch videos on some websites (such as youtube via ktunnel) and cannot watch videos on other websites -youtube not via ktunnel, by DNS or websites with high quality videos. I've checked add ons, installedflash player again and again, and also checked the Flash folder (flash10i.ocx - flashinstall - flashplayer.xtp - flashutil10i_activex - flashutil10i_activex.dll - flashutil10i_plugin - npswf32.dll) and finally check my antivirus + firewall shit. Nothing happens. I've fed up with this situation. Hope anybody can help me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, you could check your add ons and make sure you have Shockwave Flash Object Enabled.

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines