Expand my Community achievements bar.

Buildable Part #'s, is this done in LC?

Level 1

Hi everyone,

Goal: to make a PDF sheet that shows a base part number, with optional and required fields for the user to click on. As these items are clicked on, the part number is being built in a separate box. Should I be doing this in LiveCycle? I believe this is being a basic form in Acrobat Pro.

The document is started in InDesign, but I don't see a way to do it in InDesign.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

3 Replies

Former Community Member

You are building an interactive form so the way to do that is with Designer to make an XFA form or Acrobat to make an AcroForm.

Where does the onfromation about the parts reside? Are you going to try and connect to a DB or some external resource to get that information or are you simply going to hardcode the information into the form?

Paul

Level 1

Wasn't planning on creating a database, but am

not sure. Until now, all sheets were created in InDesign and exported to PDF. This

interactivity is proving to be a headache. I can't even do the simplest of things. I c

an create some form boxes but cannot import PDF into LiveCycle. This

makes me very confused as to how this process is supposed to work. Am I supposed to create a form then bring itinto Acrobat rather than LiveCycle?

I have looked at many tutorials and guides but nothing has been what I am trying to do;

Base part number  -  option A, B or C  -  option 2 A, B or C

As the user creates their choice, the complete part number is created in a separate box at the top of the page.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Former Community Member

I woudl build the form completely in Designer ...no need to have InDesign do the background (unless there is some specific functionality you want that Designer does not provide). If there are many parts then coding all of that into the form can be tedious and error prone. ...not to mention that you have to chnag ethe form when the information changes. If the parts information is small and does not change then coding it into the form is the easiest way to accomplish this. Why not start by building the look of the form (in Designer) then we can add the logic later.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul