Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Output for Linux

Participant ,
May 08, 2006 May 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

We have a new client who has a Linux environment and I was just wondering what sort of output is best for this. Currently, we use a .chm to provide context sensitive help for our application but I believe that won't work for Linux people. Does that sound right?

I realise that an alternative output will no longer be context sensitive but it would still be nice to give them access to the content.

Any suggestions would (as always) be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006
Hi there gewb!

Thanks - I'll get our architect to have a look and see what they need to plan for the new re-vamped version.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 09, 2006 May 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kathy,

I asked a similar question about a year ago, so here's my take on the subject.

A .chm file is a proprietary Microsoft format so only works under Windows. You can find programs that interpret .chm files on other operating systems, but then you have to distribute the interpreter program as well as the help, and I'm not sure how good the results are.

WebHelp is the way to go for a Linux environment, although there are a few oddities in the way it displays. Peter Grainge's site has an excellent section about WebHelp in other browsers. Here's the link.

The main difference between .chm and WebHelp output is that WebHelp is not compiled, so you have to supply the client with ALL the output files, not just a single file.

Can't help with context sensitive help as I haven't used it, but I'm sure somebody else can chime in with the necessary information.

Good luck!

Anne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there AuthorAnne!

I can generate WebHelp for our new client for them to use as an independant reference point.

In about 12 months time, the whole application is being rewritten in .net so I guess we should look at changing over to WebHelp (or whatever is the best alternative to the .chm) for all the online help.

I've worked with WebHelp projects where they are context sensitive but I believe it takes quite a bit of work for the developers to make it happen. Still, as our client base is getting broader, perhaps the rewrite time will be the perfect opportunity to change over.

I might just pre-empt this foreboding task with a quick email to management and make myself 'unavailable' for the next couple of hours until they've got used to the idea.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kathy -

Tell us about the app...Web, JAVA, what?

Regards,
gewb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there gewb!

Currently, our application is written in Progress. In the next year, we are re-doing the whole application in .net. So I guess I'd like to know what can be done for our new client for the next year or so and what sort of output I should look at for the new re-vamped application.

Any ideas?

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kathy -

I don't do Progress...however, I can't imagine this being too difficult. Try visiting Progress.com, and enter this in the Search:

How to call context sensitive Help?

Regards,
gewb

http://progress.atgnow.com/esprogress/preview.do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 10, 2006 May 10, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi there gewb!

Thanks - I'll get our architect to have a look and see what they need to plan for the new re-vamped version.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp