Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pblsvrs.sss and xml.output.ssl - doesn't exist

Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded from RH7 to RH8.  Could someone please let me know what is a "pblsvrs.sss"  and "xml.output.ssl is for?  In my ouput view, I see those files "doesn't exist".  We're currently unable to generate a CHM file in RH8.  I've decided to take a step back and to focus on the project in RH7 and was looking through and noticed the status for those 2 files.  Could this be related as why we're unable to generate CHM file in RH8?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure but I very much doubt they are related. Have you tried right clicking and opening them with Notepad?

We could perhaps help you better if you advised us why you cannot generate in RH8. What happens, does the PC just sit there doing nothing, is there an error message and suchlike.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2010 Aug 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're able to open the project in RH8 but unable to generate a CHM file.   It would stopped halfway during the "updating files" section then would I checked in the Task Manager Application it would show that RH has stopped responding.  Please let me know what I should in order to generate the CHM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2010 Aug 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing to do is prove it is the project rather than the installation. Open one of the supplied sample projects and see if you can generate a CHM from that.

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

Assuming that works, you know it is something in your project. RH8 generates XHTML code that applies stricter rules than HTML. It could be there is something in a topic that is not working. The next step is to go to Tools > Options and tick Convert RH Edited Topics to HTML, then compile.

See how that goes.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work.  Please see screen below.  I'm still getting stuck halfway during the "Update Files" section:

HELP.JPG

Please let me know what I should do in order to generate a CHM in RH8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK your own project does not work and neither do the supplied samples.

I assume your own project is not on a network or under source control but even if they were, we could rule that out as the cause because the sample project will not compile.

It looks much more likely the installation did not go correctly so the first question has to be was RoboHelp installed with admin rights. Then what do you see in the output view?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I was able to generate a CHM files in the provided sample projects.  In the screen shot in my last e-mail was to show that I I went to the Tools>Options and checked off "Convert RoboHelp edited topics to HTML" and I was still unable to complile my project in a CHM file.  I'm sorry that I was unclear in my last reply to you.  I'm totally stuck and don't know what is next best step to have this issue resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you need to give us some info on your system - RH build level, # of topics, O/S you're running on, RAM, etc. Have you tried creating WebHelp or any other SSL outputs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so it is project related and it would help to provide the information Jeff has suggested.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I might found a solution as to why I was unable to genearte CHM file in RH8.  I read somewhere in the forum to take a "divide & conquer" approach.  We have almost 800 topics - it was very tedious and long process.  I deleted 6 "bad" files and now I'm able to generate a CHM file but I now have a lot of broken topics and unable to restore any of them.  Now I"m not sure what is the best approach to handle this project.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you not going to recreate those bad topics? When you do, if the new file name is the same as the old file name, the broken links should clear themselves.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pblsvrs.sss is a source control file.

Rick's article about removing a project from source control, just FYI.

http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/MonthlyScry/102004.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uhhh...pblsvrs.sss is not a source control file, although it will be included in source control with the rest of the project.

It is the "publish to servers" file, which contains the paths to use when publishing your generated files.

For example, a portion of a pblsvrs.sss file is shown here:

<section name="Server:914-Robohelp">
      <element name="DF Dest Folder" value=\\<network-path>\mergedProjects\myproject />

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, you learn something new everyday. And here I've been diligently deleting that file whenever we move projects between source control products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter you wrote earlier that "RH8 generates XHTML code that applies stricter rules than HTML. It could be there is something in a topic that is not working."   My question:  How come RH8 was unable to identify the "bad" topic when I first upgraded the project?  It was so frustruating to go find the bad topics when you have over 800 topics to go through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp