• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot install Adobe Reader on Windows 7 machine

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2010 Jul 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried numerous times to install Adobe 9.3.3 on my windows 7 machine, but it will not.  Here is what I have done

Through Firefox - installed the plugin (had to do it manually because it would not recognize the application that needed to open the xpi plugin)

let the installation run until completion and clicked the green completion button

tried to open a pdf, but it could not find the application needed.

I went to program files, and it was not completely installed.

i tried to download the read exe and run it manually.  Again, it looked like it was completed, but would not open pdfs

I tried all of this through IE, with the same results

I tried to uninstall all the Adobe products I could find, including flash, but this did not help

I rebooted multiple times throughout this process, but that did not help.

Why won't Adobe install on my computer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2010 Jul 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar problem on Windows 7. I had 9.3.3 installed, but it was having problems with Chrome. I thought it might help to reinstall it. I uninstalled it through the control panel, but noted that it did not ask for a reboot so didn't do one. Using Chrome I then downloaded and reinstalled 9.3.3. However, the installation does not seem to complete. I tried again using IE8. Same result. I tried to download the Windows Uninstaller Utility, but it is now removed and not recommended by Microsoft. Microsoft says to work with the provider of the software. There are many posts like mine on the web. Is Adobe in the process of addressing this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys, i have this EXACT same problem

the installer tries to install via Adobe AIR (have tired standalone install too) and just gets to 100% download/check and closes. no error, no nothing

im on windows 7 ultimate and nod32, tried turning off security, firewalls, protection etc with NO luck

heres what i did as a workaround.

C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9

and run Setup.exe there manually should install.  (if you see nothing in the directory, try running installer then pausing on 100%

i would liek to know what exactly the problem is and what Adobe will be doing to address it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also the same problem with installing Reader 9.3 on Windows 7, 64-bit. When I try to install it only goes up to 100% and then nothing happens, if I try anything the computer totaly freezes and I have to reboot. I have tried to install from Adobes homepage and from a CD, same result... It seems that Adobe Reader never installs.

Please help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KeiOffice:

Just wanted to say thank you. I was trying for hours to install Reader and had about given up and decided to go with a different reader.

Your post was spot on, and fixed the problem in minutes. Thanks very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your tips KeiOffice but there is no folder (C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\AppData\Local\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9) on my computer, not even after pausing at 100%...

More tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to lack of acknowledgment and response by Adobe, I've installed FoxIT

and it seems to work faster and more reliably. I had an issue with the

Chrome browser, but worked around it. It seems to work fine with IE and FF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

daggerboard wrote:

Due to lack of acknowledgment and response by Adobe...

If you mean to your post here (in someone else's topic); this is a user-to-user forum, not Adobe Support.

daggerboard wrote:

... I've installed FoxIT and it seems to work faster and more reliably.

Good luck with the spyware that "FoxIT" installs on your computer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I started this thread. I also approached Adobe directly, but

received no response. I've seen no issues using FoxIT and I need a pdf

reader that works reliably. I don't need Adobe to tell me to go to a Win7

Microsoft page for support that Microsoft disowns. Adobe needs to support

its own products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 19, 2010 Sep 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try using this

Run the installer with the -nos_ne switch (i.e."AdbeRdr933_en_US.exe -nos_ne"), then run

%USER_PROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Adobe\Reader 9.3\Setup Files\Reader9\setup.exe .

"setup.exe -nos_ne" actually extracts the msi to the temp directory and does not execute any file after extraction.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 20, 2010 Sep 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can be horribly frustrating, I am so familiar with your issue.  However, with a little time, you might be able to get to the root of it.  For what it's worth, I've found that very few companies "online" are easy to reach with regard to issues like this.  I hate to say the Apple word, but need I say more?  If you have an iphone, then not much compares to that recent mess....

In any case, for me, this update problem seems to happen with every big launch of software or update that comes out and then all of my settings, throughout my system locally and globally have to be corrected. 

I've gone through this twice of recent, and it took me a LOT of patience, and a few days to really get it handled.  Perhaps because I'm slow, and can't remember where all of the settings are that require attention, or maybe just can't seem to stop whatever project I'm on at the time to really deal with the update properly.  The best advice I can give is to set aside the time (a couple of hours) to focus and troubleshoot from the beginning and avoid multi-tasking when trying to resolve this.

Please look over the forum as many people have resolved their issues with a few tips. I resolved my issue by first removing everything and cleaning up remaining remnant files, then downloading the appropriate programs (flash/reader, etc.), then hunting down the folder where it was loaded (mine was in my temp file as the download manager didn't work), then clicking the exe. file to open and run.  Also, my security software was causing conflict for me too (that included browser and virus).  I ended up having several downloads sitting in files that I had to clean up because I wasn't sure if I was installing at first, so check that.  Other things include clearing your cache, and registry (if you need help, visit Microsoft.com/answers forum....another responsive company) and making sure you do a clean install.

And, just for the record, that probably wasn't the most appropriate choice of reply from the moderator to you, but I still do believe that this product is definitely worth spending the time to fix.  Adobe has made working in my field 1000 times more efficient and enjoyable!!  Once you get it running, you'll be glad you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2010 Nov 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've registered here just to write down how I got through

this issue. Internet Options - set security level to local intranet, move slider (on the left) to the bottom. After this I had success in downloading it.

IMPORTANT:  do not forget to put security level back once you finished downloading.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit with Google Chrome operating system. I didn't have problems installing Reader initially, but when there was an update, I experienced similar issues as others here. After unistalling Reader in an attempt to resolve, I experienced EXACTLY same issues!

I tried nomophobia's suggestion, it was a footnote in the Adobe install screen too., did this back in August. I haven't had any more problems with Adobe Reader. It was worth the hassle, as the product IS very good.

The other PC in my home, not mine, has FoxIt instead. Let's just say I'm happy I stuck it out with Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. Yes, very important to remember to reset security.

I forgot to do so until reading nomophobia's post just now, which caused me lots of problems. Thank you, nomophobia.

Message edited by: Ellie K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ellen -

Thanks for submitting this update. It looks like Adobe Reader fixed the

problem with 9.4. I'm back using Reader again! I did have some trouble

getting Foxit Reader to work easily with Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay! That's good news!

I'm happy that you were able to get Adobe Reader working in Chrome once the update to version 9.4 was released. Sometimes I wish Chrome wouldn't release so many updates. Right now I've got everything working just right, Reader 9.4 with Chrome browser 8.0.522.215. Fingers crossed that they're no "improvements" from Chrome for a little while, and I can just sit back and enjoy an untroubled user experience!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2010 Dec 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this exact same problem with Windows 7,
I use firefox, and I'm unable to view pdfs though my browser.
Every time I try to open a pdf i am confronted with an error message?

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!

<link removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2012 Aug 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the Adobe Reader installer directly by clicking this link:   

http://get.adobe.com/reader/direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread but recently enocuntered similar issues when installing Acrobat reader on an older computer running Win 7. I downloaded the program version 9.3.3. and it worked fine - link here http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/acrobat-reader-9-3-3

Different versions available, the one from the Acrobat site did not work for me (incomplete install, could not find Acrobat Reader folder or any indication it had been installed despite message that install was successful).  Good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much. I was having the same issues and tearing my hair out as I needed something urgently for some legal documents. I'm forever grateful your solution worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines