Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Beware - Elements (8.0) Auto Analyzer runs on startup

Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered the CPU-intensive program "Elements Auto Analyzer" runs automatically when I turn on my PC.  I only realised when I saw all four cores running at 25% or so when nothing should have been happening at all.

I'm not sure whether there's a way to prevent that happening other than to hit it with a hammer, but using "Autoruns" from www.sysinternals.com you can untick it from the "Logon" tab.

I really hate programs that swamp my PC without asking me.  I have no desire at all for "Elements Auto Analyzer" to run under any circumstances.

I'm still finding that the main program (adobe premiere elements) itself never closes when I exit and I have to kill it using the task manager.  I shall probably write my own utility to prevent that happening and if others are having the same problem I'll upload it somewhere.

Grrrr!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Grebnul

Let us give another look for that AutoAnalyzer feature in Premiere Elements 8

1. Click on the Organizer Tab (deep blue) in the Premiere Elements workspace

2. In the row below that Organizer Tab is a black tab named Organizer (that is the Elements Organizer Tab) click on that

3. With the Elements Organizer open, did you go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/and go down the list to AutoAnalyzer.Options

4. There should be an AutoAnalyzer Options listing that you click on to bring up its dialog where y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now discovered how to stop the auto analyzer running on startup - you have to run Premiere Elements, choose "Organize", choose "Organizer", choose "Edit > Preferences" and choose "Auto-Analyzer Options".  There you can untick "Run Analyzer on Start Up" (and you might want to untick "Analyze All Media in Catalog Automatically".  Then click "OK".

However, you are then confronted with a dialog box titled "Missing Sender E-mail Address" which reads "Please enter your E-mail address".  Click OK, and you find yourself in a dialog labelled "Sharing" in which you are required to enter your name and your email address.

Unless you do this, you cannot turn off the Auto-Analyzer through the program.

I have to say I think this is extremely poor.  I shall be requesting an explanation from Adobe.  Sure, I could probably put in some rubbish there, in fact I'll have to in order to stop the program eating my PC on startup, but I have never come across this kind of requirement to enter personal details to avoid programs compulsorily running.  For the moment I've not entered any details requested - and I can see from "Autoruns" that the Auto Analyzer has been forcibly re-enabled to run on startup.  Great.  And it's running again right away.  So I'll have to call up the task manager to kill it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozpeter

I have not gotten a chance to look at the issue that you present and try it, but does disabling the feature at the Organizer level (see AutoAnalyzer tab at bottom of Elements Organizer) have any impact on what you are experiencing? I will try looking at this as soon as I can.

I had to disable that AutoAnlyzer feature in Premiere Elements 8 because it kept automatically spliting my video into clips when I did not want that to happen. However, you can still right click you media in the Organizer and select Run AutoAnalyzer.

For quite some time (before Premiere Elements 8), I have been running my WIndows XP SP3 with all the Start Up programs off, except Microsoft Services.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing the tab you refer to ("AutoAnalyzer tab at bottom of Elements Organizer") - maybe having now turned it off in the options (by giving rubbish answers to the compulsory questions) that tab has gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozpeter

The tab to which I referred is at the bottom of the Elements Organizer window in the gray bar just above the Start bar. The row starts with "My Catalog and continues with "...items dated..." and follows with an icon for signing into account and the AutoAnalyzer tab.

BUT, forget about that. Instead, Elements Organizer, Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options. That AutoAnalyzer Options dialog has more options than just On and Off.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozpeter,

I've read the entire thread (to date), but am doing my reply here - your initial post.

Personally, I find this scary. As with you, I do not want modules going rogue on me. I go so far as to turn OFF any/all auto-update "features" in every program, that I install. I also turn OFF, when possible, the "look for updates and await your input." I will update any/everything at my leisure, not some timer in some program. I lost an entire new installation on a brand new workstation, because Logitec Set-Point decided to update during the installation of an NLE. When it did this, I lost my entire OS, plus all programs. It even killed Ghost, and System Restore. It killed my LAN and rendered one of my NIC connections unusable. It cost me a new MoBo, a complete low-level reformat of the system HDD and a week of lost installations! Guess which program will NEVER be on any computer, even if I use Logitec devices.

Now, from your and ATR's comments, I am still not certain what this "utiltiy" does, but it seems to analyze AV Assets and then attempt to automatically do something like Scene Detection. Is that correct?

I cannot imagine what Adobe was thinking with this. I have to admit that I do not use Organize/Organizer in my PrE 4 installation, so there could be things, even back then, that I am just unaware of. I use Bridge (from my CS2 Production Studio Premium) instead. Maybe I am just in the dark on what Organize/Organizer did, and certainly do not know what the newer versions might now do.

Still, and it's not yet hear Halloween, I am scared - very scared. Maybe I should be glad that I only have PrE 4. All it did was kill CS2 Production Stuido and all of its apps. on installation. A Repair Install fixed those. Gonna' keep what I've got, and keep reading of your trials and tribulations.

Thank you for reporting. You and ATR are doing a great service to all PrE users.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hunt,

This 'Organizer' thing is a new feature in PE8 - it's one of the main new features in fact, but personally I don't use that sort of thing.  I'm probably becoming an aged reactionary but I'm not keen on the trend for software to hold your hand and do everything for you like it or not.  I prefer to take charge, and when I make mistakes that perhaps the program would not have made, I learn from them and thereby improve myself.  If features like this have to be included, at least make it necessary to activate them rather than having them switched on by default (and as far as I'm aware, I never turned this stuff on).

I have this mental picture of PCs worldwide being brought to their knees by AVCHD Background Rendering, Auto Analyzing, and the program not terminating on exit, all happening at once..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this mental picture of PCs worldwide being brought to their knees by AVCHD Background Rendering, Auto Analyzing, and the program not terminating on exit, all happening at once..

Some decades ago, Ray Bradbury wrote a short story, Dial F for Frankenstein. I do not know if it was published in a compilation, and forget exactly where I read it, Playboy maybe? There were a few similarities, to what you write. Now, this was before computers, that did not occupy anything less than a whole room (no desktops then), and he focused on the international telephone system. Still, some parallels.

Hunt

PS - I am with you. I think that this is one of the main reasons that I am much more comfortable in PrPro, than I am in PrE. Or, maybe I am just a "control freak!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks everyone for your observations and comments in this thread ... it helped me resolve this problem.  Now I have a new question ... before I found this solution, Elements Auto Analyzer ran for several days and consumed several GB of hard drive space generating who knows what (one of these threads postulated it took video files and turned them into snipets).  Where are all of these files stored?  I have been trying to find them (particularly those video file snipets) but I have not found them.  Nor could I find them by opening Elements.  Anyone know where this junk was stored so I can delete it and get my hard drive space back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2009 Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

craigdpeterson wrote:

Elements Auto Analyzer ran for several days and consumed several GB of hard drive space generating who knows what (one of these threads postulated it took video files and turned them into snipets).  Where are all of these files stored?  I have been trying to find them (particularly those video file snipets) but I have not found them.  Nor could I find them by opening Elements.  Anyone know where this junk was stored so I can delete it and get my hard drive space back?

The very best (for me at least) utility to find what eats up my disk space is SpaceSniffer. You would be amazed at what files PRE tucks away in obscure places, let alone all kinds of other spacehogging stuff from applications no longer used (or thought you had removed).

Try it.

Cheers,
--
Neale
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ... I will look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also see that the Autoanalyzer continues to run in the background, consuming vast amounts of RAM (i.e. everything) even when Elements 8 has crashed. Only way to stop it is to kill the process with Windows task manager. It doesn't seem to be actually doing anything, and doesn't seem to ever release the memory however long I wait.

Strangely: Up to a few days ago it wasn't doing this. PE would just crash, and file a report for Adobe. But I got so tired of crashes every few minutes that I disabled GPU and auto-rendering in PE.... since then the system is definately a bit more stable (unfortunately still crashes often, say 5 min intervals), but no longer sends crash reports (just hangs), and Autoanalyzer now fails to terminate cleanly.

So it seems the error handling in PE8 may be dependent on the GPU or auto-rendering setting. It looks like there is actually no error handling with those two disabled.

I will now try to prevent Auto Analyzer from starting at all.

Great software when it runs, disappointingly unstable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help above in the thread - now have Auto Analyzer disabled in the Organiser. Hopefully that will be better. With all these little fiddles, one really has to be a bit of an IT Technician to get Premiere Elements 8 working properly, not software for the casual user is it? Thanks for all the help on the Forum, because without all you guys I would have given up long time ago (Adobe's help files and support desk being a bit lacking).

While there I was suprised to see I was subscribed to a variety of 'partner services' so disabled those spam sources while at it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2009 Dec 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is unstable.

The cynical side of me thinks that PrE 8 was along for the ride for the Photoshop Elements 8 release, since they offer both products together as an option.

I've worked enough with desktop video to be pretty sure these issues being reported are not isolated. I hope that Adobe puts out some fixes soon. I still haven't had a chance to understand the problems I've been seeing with PrE 8. I'd like to try it on a virgin Windows 7 machine with all kinds of horse-power to eliminate the "your config is too wimpy" explanation.

Thankfully, my copy of PrE 4 behaved very well for my most recent project and it turned out great. So the software is a good value...when it works.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2010 Oct 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe AA does not hogs new space but just uses the already present files to diplay different scenes. I mean it generates some markers and shows those markers only. Just like there are different scene options in a DVD while there is only original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2009 Oct 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I also find the AutoAnalyzer startup thing a severe miss by Adobe. I see it eating up 60 to 80 MB at startup for 10 to 15 minutes every time I boot. I already wait long enough for my disk light to stop flashing before starting my day. Thanks for the instructions on how to disable it.

I must not be the target for this feature because I don't understand the value at all. When it comes to entry level video, Adobe would do well to OPTIMIZE its existing feature set. Unfortunately, the message that "it now works they way it should have originally" is not one any marketer relishes.

One example: my 4 minute video project takes about 10 minutes to load every time I open PrE4. As I've posted before, I have 2GB of RAM and a dual core processor. A little weak for PrE 8 perhaps but not for version 4.

How someone thought that getting in the middle of EVERY boot cycle of a Windows machine was a good thing for an entry-level editing program (i.e. it should not expect to be installed on a dedicated editing station) completely baffles me.

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to this and have not used this forum but need to as the problem of

autoanalyzer eating up my hard drive activity is serious.  I tried

Elements Organizer>Organizer>  Edit/Prefs

but fouind NO AUTOANALYZER options!!  I have the Student

Version is this not available??  How can I control this beast?

Thankyou anyone with time and knowledge to help me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2009 Dec 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grebnul

Let us give another look for that AutoAnalyzer feature in Premiere Elements 8

1. Click on the Organizer Tab (deep blue) in the Premiere Elements workspace

2. In the row below that Organizer Tab is a black tab named Organizer (that is the Elements Organizer Tab) click on that

3. With the Elements Organizer open, did you go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/and go down the list to AutoAnalyzer.Options

4. There should be an AutoAnalyzer Options listing that you click on to bring up its dialog where you disable the feature and options.

Also, at the bottom of the Elements Organizer workspace is a row of icons. The one next to the mailbox looking one is an AutoAnalyzer icon. If you click on that you can also bring up the AutoAnalyzer Options dialog that you made appear as above going the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options route.

When you are finished disabling this feature, go to the File Menu/Exit to get back to the Premiere Elements 8 workspace.

Please let me know if that worked for you.

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear ATR,

A very kind and fast response from you for which I am extremely grateful.  I am quite computer literate so feel a little silly when I assure you having made the first 2 steps I attempt the third

[3. With the Elements Organizer open, did you go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/and go down the list to AutoAnalyzer.Options]

but there is no such choice in my pull down from Preferences.  On my version and it is only 4 days old so it is Version 8, there are no Autoanalizer options, nor is "The one next to the mailbox looking one is an AutoAnalyzer icon" there an icon here.  Is it because I have the Student edition? Today I went to my desktop and Ctrl-Alt-Del and ended the process of AutoAnalyzer and the drive is much quieter now.  I imagine should I wish to use Elements 8 today I will have to re-Start.  But this seems a bit bothersome to do on a daily basis.

Thankyou again for your help but I am still at sea!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 8 as you ... had the same problem until I too found this solution on line ...  Adobe acted "dumb" about it for awhile but eventually came back with the same solution.

For Version #8 ... from the Organizier program

Edit -> Preferences -> Autoorganizer Options -> you should have two check boxes at the top ... analyze all media in catalog automaticall, and run analyzer on startup (There's your culprit).

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know what is up with the way my Elements Workspace is laid out, but there is no "Organizer" button and no "Edit" selection available.  There must be someway to have a view with those options.  I am using Version 8.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2010 Oct 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TTT

At the top of the interface, click on the Blue Tab that says "Organize" in order to activate that Organize Mode.

Then click on the "Organizer" Tab in the row below that active Organize (Blue) Tab. That will open the Elements Organizer.

If you are in search of the Elements Organizer to shut OFF the AutoAnalzyer, then go to the Elements Organizer's Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalzyer Options and turn OFF those options there.

To get back to the Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 workspace from the Elements Organizer, in the Elements Organizer, go to its File Menu/Exit.

Make sure the you are working from the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update (Patch) version of Premiere Elements 8.0. You should be working with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned OFF. Installation of the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Updates automatically shuts OFF the automatic Background Rendering. The AutoAnalzyer shut OFF is up to you.

If and when needed, you render the Timeline in the Edit Mode by pressing the Enter of the computer main keyboard to get the best possible preview of the end product. If and when necessary, you can use the AutoAnalzyer on a clip by right clicking the clip's thumbnail in the Organize interface, followed by a right click of it and a selection of Run AutoAnalyzer.

The Premiere Elements 8 PDF Help is a great help in getting started. It can be accessed from the program's Help Menu or online at

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/8.0/Win/Using/index.html

ATR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2009 Dec 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks ATR - I feel as if I wrestled control of my system back from Adobe.  My personal view is that Adobe's approach, to running background jobs, is not only poor practise but verging on the unethical.  I was just about to resort to going back to my version of PE3 and throwing PE8 in the bin.  But, thanks to your assistance and this forum everything seems to be now working as planned.

Thanks again

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To turn off Auto Analyser at Windows start up simply do the following :

1) "Search" within widows for : "msconfig" (or use the  "Run" command and type "msconfig")

2) Type "continue" when prompted

3) This will open the system configurator for Windows

4) Select the "Start up " tab

5) Remove the tick against "Elements Auto Analyser"  and click "Apply"

You may see other unnecessary applications that are being started automatically, but go carefully in disabling applications that may be necessary to your system!

On your next re-boot any de-selected applications will not automatically start up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been beating my head against the desk with this problem for a few months now.

Oddly enough, I have been killing it through msconfig, disabling it as a startup option, and the darn thing keeps coming back!

I tried the disabling option in PrE8 just prior to this post, hoping that is a final solution to the hassle.

The bad thing is for what ever reason my older quad-core devotes enough resources to the analyzer, that it takes two or three minutes just for Task Manager to come up. So unless I remember to go into TM right at startup, I can hardly even disable it once it gets rolling. I only have maybe 5 or 6 processes at startup I even allow, so its not like other things are hogging CPU resources.

Thanks for all the great posts, I am hoping that disabling it in-program will put an end to this headache. I am a little embarassed I did not track that option down sooner.

Shame on you Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines