• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash IDE Components in Flex 3 Design Mode. Can they be visible there?

Aug 03, 2010 Aug 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Im exploring Flex to get a grasp on its concepts and am currently looking into building components in the Flash IDE. Though i guess its likely that when you're more familiar with Flex you build your components in Flex, like said Im exploring its concepts and like to know where and how the Flash IDE fits in its workflow.

I made a simple Flex Component in the Flex IDE, which shows up fine when I run the Flex project. But it does not show in Flex Design Mode.

I have exported the component from Flash as an SWC and added the SWC to the Flex library path. The symbol in the Flash IDE extends UIMovieClip. Now I read in 'Using Adobe FlexBuilder 3' (p.67) that the Flex Components panel only lists visible components, according to the documentation 'components that extend UIComponent'.

Note that my question is about being visible on the stage in Design Mode, not in the component panel. As UIMovieClip doesnt inherit from UIComponent (and the UIComponent class doesnt seem to be available in the Flash IDE), is this also the cause that the Flash IDE component is not visible on the Flex stage in Design Mode?

Can someone confirm, or deny this?

Regards,

Marcel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Hi ,

For the flex component in IDE, it would work only if its an MXML component. That is it would render in Design view "stage" if it is an MXML component.

If it is an actionscript class, it has to be available as a library in the porject for it to be rendered in DV.

If the component that you are trying is an actionscript class, please try moving it to a library and using it in your project to see it in DV.

In FlashBuilder 4, we do support rendering of UIMovieClip objects which are in librar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ,

For the flex component in IDE, it would work only if its an MXML component. That is it would render in Design view "stage" if it is an MXML component.

If it is an actionscript class, it has to be available as a library in the porject for it to be rendered in DV.

If the component that you are trying is an actionscript class, please try moving it to a library and using it in your project to see it in DV.

In FlashBuilder 4, we do support rendering of UIMovieClip objects which are in library (swc) and added to the project build path.

Regards,

Latha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 17, 2010 Aug 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Latha,

thanks for your feedback. Reading it back though, Im still not sure whether Flex components build in the Flash IDE (using the Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3) can be visible in Flex 3 Design Mode.Maybe you can be a bit more specific and save a lot of Flex beginners a lot of headaches.

I understand that MXML components can be used in Design Mode. I also understand that if your component is AS you have to create a Library and link that to your project to make them visible in Design Mode. I also understand that Flash Builder 4 does "support rendering of UIMovieClip objects which are in library (swc) and added to the project build path"

This actually doesnt answer my question really. Does this mean there is no way to render Flex components build in the Flash IDE (using the Flex Component Kit for Flash CS3)  in Flex 3 Design Mode?

Regards,

Marcel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines