Expand my Community achievements bar.

Look up city, State by zip code

Level 1

I have created a LC registration form for a club. When the user inputs their zip code I would like to auto fill the State, and City. Can this be done in LC and does anyone have a sample I can use to cheat with ? I'm not the best coder but I can modify existing code to fit my needs.

7 Replies

Former Community Member

The information that ties the zip code to the city/state must be kept somewhere. There are web service calls that can be mode for this.....but I do not know if they charge for the use of theor web service. Also if you are using Reader the form must be Reader Extended to allow for web service calls. This can only be done with the full Reader Extensions server product. If you are using Acrobat then this restriction does not apply.

Paul

Level 1

Sorry, That part I know all about and is not a problem. There are lots of zip code tables out there.

I have a LiveCycle (XFA) form. I want to place code in the form to call the lookup table and place the city and state in my form. This is what I'm not sure of. Ideally I'd like to find a tutorial or sample of how this is done.

Thanks.

Former Community Member

So will you use a Web Service for the lookup? You must be specific as to where this data is coming from for us to direct you as to what to do.

Paul

Level 1

Sorry about the large text don't know what happened. Thought I was being clear but a little knowledge is dangerous, fortunately I am not lethal.

Thought I'd download a zip code table, if possible, or else subscribe to a free service.The form is for a club with limited funds.

My main concern was the code in LC but seems my thinking is to limited.

Level 1

Just talked to Thom Parker at Windjack and think this may be more trouble than I can handle at this time. It's not that difficult for the users to type a little extra.

Thanks,

Herman

Former Community Member

If you use a free service that is fine but you will still have the Reader Extensions issue ....unless all of your users wil be using Acrobat.

If you have these codes in an XML file then we coudl potentially merge them onto the template and use that as our source.

Paul

Level 1

Hi, I think web service is the recommended in your case. Try request free license from this site http://www.fraudlabs.com/zipcodeworldUS.aspx, they offer 90free queries every month