• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace in use or Cannot be Created

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to setup CFBuilder so files opened in Windows explorer open in the currently open instance.  The final release tries to spawn a new instance and displays "Workspace in use or Cannot be Created".  I got around this in Beta's but i can't find a workaround in the final release.

TOPICS
Builder

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2010 Apr 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it happens I asked this very question on another forum just yesterday, and the answer came through forthwith.

If you have a look in your home directory, there'll be a subdirectory ".eclipse".  Delete it, and start CFB with the -clean parameter, and that should sort it out.

Works on OS/X, Win7 (according to the person who pointed me in the right direction for this) & Win Vista (my own environment).

HTH.

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2010 Apr 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works on OS/X, Win7 (according to the person who pointed me in the right direction for this) & Win Vista (my own environment).

NB: does not work on Windows7 (Starter Ed.) for me.

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam it does not seem to work for me on WIN7 Home Premium for me. Also are you using a standalone or plugin install?

Thanks

George S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stand-alone.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2010 Jun 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created http://cfbugs.adobe.com/bugreport/flexbugui/cfbugtracker/main.html#bugId=83269 for this.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam it actually fixed in the last patch, so make sure to get the patch.  On the same note, i completely abandoded that piece of #$## in favor cfEclipse and notepad++, they actually work and don't freeze every 5 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't work for me on Vista Business (or Pro, or whatever it is... I'm not in front of that PC right now).

So it's still not [properly] fixed.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2010 Jul 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I THINK I've got a workaround for this utterly annoying problem (or, it just gave up and came good, still worth a try if you're having this issue)

My CF Builder is installed as plugin to  FlashBuilder 4 on Win 7.  I got the same as described, and spent ages looking for a lock file or something.

Finally, in File/Switch Workspace/Other.. with the default workspace selected in the drop down (the one that was giving this error when I attempted to open it),  under the Copy Settings check boxes (expanded), I selected both options (Workbench Layout and Working Sets),  then clicked OK.  This loaded the workspace, sort of, in that colour coding and code completion etc wasn't working.  I closed and restarted Flash Builder, and it now seems to be OK again. 

Peter Robertson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response have you updated to latest version, for me update 1 has resolved this issue [http://www.adrocknaphobia.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-builder-update-1-available].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gms46 wrote:

Thanks for the response have you updated to latest version, for me update 1 has resolved this issue [http://www.adrocknaphobia.com/post.cfm/coldfusion-builder-update-1-available].

It didn't fix it for me.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adam, I had meant to re-post, and in fact in the end it hadn't fixed it

for me either. It remained flaky and then I lost CF support (code

completion colour coding, etc). I ripped the whole thing out and

clean-reinstalled, which is what I should have done in the beginning and I

would have saved a lot of time.

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. When you updated you effectively re-installed I suppose? This is

probably what fixed your issue, and yes, I have the latest version. In the

end what I thought was a fix wasn't, and I wasted a lot of time messing

around. If it happens again, then I'm just going to bite the bullet and

cleanly re-install straight up.

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Further to my previous post, (July 22), within a hour or so I had lost CF support again, and did a clean re-install to get back to work.  One thing I should mention is that the issue seemed to occur when I was trying to open a project on resources that weren't available, (a VM server I had forgotten to start before opening CF Builder).  On previous occasions, this had caused a similar issue, but a re-start had cleared it.  This time, nothing I could do got the workspace back.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2010 Jul 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same thing happened again today, just a few days after the previously-reported event.

It was immediately after accepting an Adobe update to CFBuilder.

My workspace was not available, exactly as reported above.

I shut Flash Builder down and re-started as Admin (Win 7).

My workspace was available as per normal.

I shut down and re-started Flash Builder as a normal user it was fine.

My last test was to re-boot my machine, which I did, and I was able to start builder as a normal user and it was ok

While I'm happy to be back in business, this behavior worries me, especially considering that I wasn't able to recover on the previous occasion without a re-install.  CF Builder is my core professional tool, and I simply can't afford to be prevented from working on some random basis.  I hope Adobe folk are attending to this issue.

Peter Robertson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

After updating CFBuilder, did you restart builder with a clean option?

Thanks,

Sagar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sagar

Do you mean did I un-install CF Builder first? Otherwise, I'm not sure what

you mean by a 'clean option'.

At this point things are working, I cleared the problem last time by

starting Flash Builder once with admin rights (or, it seemed that this

cleared it, or it just came good, who knows?)

Thanks

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I was referring to the updating CFBuilder i.e. after applying the updater for CFB you are required to start CFB with a clean option. Please see http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/846/cpsid_84607.html.

Thanks,

Sagar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes, I recall seeing that, but thought it only applied to upgrades from a

beta, didn't know it applied to release code. Also, I did use "*You can

also install ColdFusion Builder Update 1 using Adobe Updater that appears in

the system tray.", *which asks for admin rights, so assumed that applied the

script. Anyway, will keep this in mind if it occurs again, and thanks for

the clarification.

Regards

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will also pipe in and state that this is something that I have seen a few times, more

so on Windows 7 than any other version of Windows.

The problem is that there are times when you think you have closed ColdFusion Builder / Eclipse down, that it in fact is still actually running.

So when you go and try to use the same workspace you are presented with the message that it is in use or cannot be created.

The solution is simple, if this is the case with people then it is just a matter of killing that instance of Eclipse that is still running.

Regards,

Andrew Scott

http://www.andyscott.id.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2010 Aug 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andrew.

Yep, that's what I would have thought.  Not only did killing Eclipse not solve the issue, re-starting the Win 7 box didn't either, so the lock, where ever it is, was persisted.  From memory, the last time this occurred, (some short time after re-installing Flash Builder / CF Builder), I re-started FB as Admin and this seemed to solve the issue.  I can't swear to this, it was a little while ago.

It's worth mentioning that my setup may be contributing to this.  I'm working on a client job which involves running a Win XP instance in a VM.  I connect to this from the host via a mapped drive to a share inside the VM.  FB does have issues if I have a project open on the VM filespace and forget to close my dev environment on the host prior to shutting down the VM instance.  Understandable that this is a problem, but not very robust if this locks up the workspace in such a way that I can't access any projects (including to the host file space). 

Cheers

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm the whole cannot open workspace came back for me out of the nowhere, after a going away post-update, i rebuilt my workspace and did -clean start as admin, i no longer get the whole Workspace is in use message but the file does not open either. I sure would like a refund.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's frustrating! I haven't had a recurrence so far, but I live in fear.

I do recall starting FlashBuilder (which is my base-install for CF

Builer) as Admin at some time, but can't recall what else I did, or if

this simply somehow cleared the problem. The cause when this did

occur seemed to be closing a VM OS instance while CF Builder had a

project open on the vm filespace. Whenever I forgot to close the

project before shutting down the vm, I got into trouble. Since the

update, (and whatever else I did), I have repeated this sequence

(through forgetting to be careful), and on re-start, have been able to

open the workspace. This gives me anxious moments until I see

everything load OK.

I'm sorry you're still having trouble, that is very fragile behaviour.

Regards

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2011 Aug 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a related note....sorry just realized the OP was trying to solve a slightly different problem...

If you run into the "Workspace in use or cannot be created" due to an eclipse crash, this should get you out of the bind:

1) Ensure that the eclipse processes are really gone.

I killed everything that had java and eclipse (scorched earth policy 😉  YMMV) before I got this workaround to work

You won't need to do this if you've rebooted since the failure started to occur

2) Delete the lock  file: <path to eclipse workspace>/.metadata/.lock

3) Restart eclipse 😉

4) Happy coding

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2012 Dec 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Syndrome: FlashBuilder 4.6 refuses to access your workspace under Windows7, even after deleting the

lock file (.metadata/.lock).

Solution:

1. Click "Cancel" when prompted to select a different workspace (doing so wouldn't get you nowhere, anyway);

2. Start FlashBuilder with administrator rights. This will, in fact create a new workspace to start in.

3. Go to the "File" menu, select "Switch Workspace", select "Other", type the correct path to your workspace,

expand "Copy Settings", tick both checkboxes, click "OK".

4. Wait until the other workspace loads.

5. Exit Flash Builder, wait until processes end, and start it anew, WITHOUT administrator rights. It should

work now. You may delete now the new workspace Flash Builder has created when started with administrator

rights.

Note: This may or may not work, since, well, it's Adobe software 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation