• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using cyrillic characters in cfdocument

Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm currently developing on a CF8 single installation on a RedHat AS 4 machine using apache.

I have a multilingual web app that requires the on the fly creation of .pdf files, and those .pdf files require some if not all of their content to be presentable in languages using Cyrillic characters. I have all this working and it's very efficient, except for 1 problem.

The only way I can get the cyrillic characters to be correctly included in the .pdf is to take for example the Arial.ttf font from a WinXP box and install it in the CF fonts directory: /opt/coldfusion8/runtime/jre/lib/fonts, by default there are only 5 versions of the Lucinda font.

So my question is, seeing as I don't think I can use the MS Arial.ttf, since TrueType fonts are under MS trademark, is there a solution to this using any free fonts? It would be much better if I could find a solution using a single font supporting unicode that can display such languages as Macedonian, Russian and Polish, as well as th Sinitic languages, (I know the syntax is different, but it would be nice to have the option)

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Ash

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it used to be if you bought ms office international edition you got ms arial

unicode font too. now i think it's $99 per 5 users (though no longer available

from ms, ascender licenses it now i think). have you tried www.sil.org? also

http://unicode.org/resources/fonts.html has some listed, make sure to checkout

what alan wood has on offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks very much for the info.

http://www.sil.org provides the Doulos SIL font for download. Using this enables the use of all cyrillic content using the open font license.

Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation