• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error getting license Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep getting the above error. I have authorised my machine, but each time I try to download I get this error. I have tried disabling my firewall and adding Editions to my exceptions but still no dice. Company I purchased from have tried to help but said its now down to Adobe to sort. Help!!!!!!

Cheers

Shirley

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2009 Jun 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First out of curiousity, which company is it?

Second the error code you quote means that there is a problem in between Digital Editions and their server.

You can play around with your setings for free by trying to download any of the PDF files from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library

If you can download those files - then the problem is specifically trying to download from their server.

If you can't download those files - then the problem is most likely that you are having problems downloading any file.

Regardless if you want official support from Adobe your only choice is to open up a web support request by going to http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/ and clicking on "Submit a web case" link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The company is Direct2Drive. I have just discovered that I had to install Download Manager in order to get this download and its now working. Thanks for your help and taking time to email me.

Shirley

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a different browser or download manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 01, 2010 Aug 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem. I have Adobe Digital Editions and have previously bought and downloaded 11 ebooks with no problems. Last night I bought 3 more from Diesel e books (where I bought the others from) and this error message came up. Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_IO

I have changed my firewall settings to allow digital editions but with no change. Would a download manager help?

What is a download manager and where can I get one? I know that they are available to download over the internet but what is safe and recommended?

Are there any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Finally got mine to work. I hadn't changed anything on my computer, but it just started giving me this error and the E_ADEPT_DATABASE error out of the blue. Nothing really worked. I tried redownloading the program, restarting my computer, changing my internet settings to "automatically detect...", yelling, anger, sadness, evil eye.. you get the point. Anywho, after several successful attempts, this is what works for me:

By the way, I run Win 7 and mainly use ff. Unfortunately, FF does not work with this.

1. Using the search bar in Win 7, type in "Allow". This should pop up the link to "Allow a program through Windows Firewall". Clickety-click.
  2. Click on the button that says "Change settings". (Maybe be fast or slow).
  3. If Adobe Digital Editions is listed, click it (I have home/work checked but not public). If it is not listed - Click on "Allow another program.." (really that what the button says. Find Adobe Digital Editions and click.
  4. Click on OK.
  5. Open the acsm link through Internet Explorer (FF won't work). It should download no problems.

I have tried this with FF and it did not work. I had to go back and "Allow" ade again.

Works in IE if I automatically detect... or not.

Is still annoying because it worked fine before. I want things back the way they used to be!

I know that this is somewhere on the Adobe site but I had a hard time finding it.

I know I talk too much but wanted to explain in detail (yes, I know it's a lot of detail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2010 Aug 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E_ADEPT_DATABASE is not the same as E_ADEPT_IO...

E_ADEPT_IO generally indicates a firewall setting problem (or it could be that the server you are trying to contact is down), and it is most likely something you can fix by changing the settings on your local machine.

E_ADEPT_DATABASE is always a problem with the back end server for the place that sold you the book.  It is not something you (or Adobe) can fix, and your only recourse is to go through tech support for the place that you purchased the book from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - this is very helpful. I now believe this problem is with my local library, which has only recently begun offering E Books, especially since the problem is intermittent.

I know that my Norton firewall is not blocking these downloads, because I have looked at the history for the periods involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having the same problem.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Digital Reader.  I turned off my Firewall.  I made sure I have the Adobe Download Manager.  I have been at this longer than it would take me to read the stinking book!  What else is there to try?  I have Windows Vista and use IE.

I actually get two errors; the first is the about a database error and the second is the server communication problem.  I can download the free books from the Adobe site, just not from my library.  Suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem.  At times I can download from my library but most times I get the Adept 10 and sometimes Adept Database errors.

I am using Norton Internet Security and my Windows firewall is not activated.  I have the newest version of ADE and it is properly authorized. Windows XP SP3 and IE 8.

This is incredibly frustrating as I have just puchased a B&N Nook for the purpose of downloading library books.  Please, can someone help with this?  The library is offering the same "fixes" that are not working.  It sounds like no one knows what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, it must be a library problem or maybe an Overdrive problem (since  it happened with two libraries). Today I tried through FF and they  downloaded no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, today I downloaded the same book which I could not get with multiple tries yesterday; but I had not changed anything at my end. The library, however, is still advising patrons to make all sorts of adjustments to their firewalls, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, it must be a library problem or maybe an Overdrive problem (since  it happened with two libraries). Today I tried through FF and they  downloaded no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, does your library use Overdrive? I think it was Overdrive who might have also had the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They do use Overdrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2010 Aug 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem as some of the posters above, and while I did start an official request ticket, the tech support staff has not been able to help me so far, instead responding with boilerplate suggestions that I had clearly stated I had already tried. My details are:

-I had been using my Windows 7 PC to successfully borrow protected .epub files from two different library districts near me, for several months

-A few days ago, without changing anything on my end that I can think of, I started getting the error message mentioned in this thread title. This occurs with borrowed titles from two separate library systems.

-Troubleshooting steps I have tried, with no success:

-Set up adobe digital editions as an exception to the windows Firewall

-De-authorized and re-authorized my copy of digital editions

-Uninstalled and reinstalled adobe digital editions

-Tried getting help from the appropriate IT staff at both libraries, both had no idea what to do and said it was Adobe's responsibility

-Re-downloaded the .acsm files a 2nd time

Just so we're all on the same page, I have no problem downloading the initial "acsm" file from my library website, to my computer desktop,  once I log into my account with them. My problem occurs with the NEXT step, where:

-you open the acsm file

-doing so launches adobe digital editions

-Adobe digital editions is supposed to download the actual protected .epub file to your computer, and then let you read the book from within the software

THAT is the step that is not happening. When I try to do that last step, I get the error message.

Because of that, I am confused by people's suggestions of using a different web browser or a download manager. I am able to get the ascm file downloaded just fine, but then digital editions can't seem (anymore) to take that file and use it to download my DRMd epub file.

I sent all of these details to Adobe in an official support ticket, but the response I got back was very frustrating because it simply suggested I try some of the troubleshooting steps above, that I had clearly stated I had already tried. From what I can tell, support did not actually read my email, but instead just sent me a standard canned response. I was under the impression Adobe had higher standards than this for their company?

I tried adding to my support ticket with a response that I had already tried all their suggestions and needed additonal help, but then  Adobe's website told me there was an error that would not allow me tp submit further information at this time.

If anyone from adobe is reading this, I could really use some help. I want to be a fan of your products and your ebook ecosystem but to do so it needs to actually work, or at least give us access to real help when it does not?

Thanks!

Dan Steinberg

dan(at)danielsteinberg.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both of your libraries use Overdrive? I had the exact problem as you and it has mysteriously cleared up without my doing anything at all. My library also blamed it on Adobe, but I am not convinced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved!

Since you said it cleared up for you, I just tried it again, and it is now working great, launching the acsm file results in the book downloading in digital editions like it used to. So like you, it has cleared up on its own.

Since it was happening to me with two separate libraries, it seems that maybe there was a temporary but centralized problem with overdrive's servers. I imagine that would affect every library that subscribes to their service?

I am glad it is working again, but at the same time it is interesting to me that if this was indeed a "server outage" type problem affecting many users, that:

-Adobe's tech support did not know this was what was going on. If they had, their answers to me in my support ticket would have been very different and more relevant to the real problem.

-They did not contact us (they have our email addresses as our user ID) to let us know the authorization server was down and we should expect thi issue until it was fixed.

Also on Overdrive's part (if it was a problem on their part), this seemed to take a while to get fixed. I have been having the problem for a good few days or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed on all points. Let's just cross our fingers that it's over!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Combing the web for answers, I got a new possibility from Toronto Public Library site: the Adobe server itself could be busy.  For a week I have had no luck loading a library book onto my Nook  even following all the suggestions below. I reflected that I'm always trying around the same time every evening -- probably when we are all making multiple attempts.

So I tried again at 6 AM and WHAP!  Instant success. 

Hope this is it.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2010 Aug 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appear to be having this same issue with the overdrive servers that my library is using!  I have been trying for the last 2.5 hrs to download 2 books that I "checked out" earlier and keep getting this E_ADEPT_IO error! I guess I'll have to try in the morning before work or something...so much for some reading before bed!  I have to presume it is not Adobe's fault since I was able to download just fine 2 of the files/samples from the "PDF library" off the ADE page.  The only other test I can think to do to prove it is Overdrive's problem is to go "buy" a freebie from B&N or Kobo and see if I can download that.  So frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept getting the same error message.  Read the last few posts and tried getting on this morning at 6:00 AM.  Was so relieved when my books successfully downloaded.  Royal pain, but if that's the only way to do it.  Hopefullly, Overdrive will get a clue and do something to help us out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2010 Aug 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, trying this morning worked for me as well. But one of my holds became available today and I'm back to the same error tonight!

I did email my library who said she contacted Overdrive, but who knows what, if anything, will actually come from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2010 Oct 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just on the daft theory that public griping sometimes changes one's luck:  I have been making random tries, sampling pretty much every hour of the day for the last 5 days, to download 3 books from my local library (uses Overdrive). I haven't downloaded any books for the last 5 months, but had no problem whatsoever during the 7 months I was regularly checking out ebooks.

Following all the previous posts, I disabled my firewall, uninstalled and reinstalled ADE, etc, etc, and results are still the same.  Much gnashing of teeth; am seriously glad that I am not trying to download a purchased book, but am now rather sorry I spent the money I did on an Aluratek Libre to make my reading portable...  Wish I knew for sure whether it was something with my computer, or otherwise.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll just keep trying and hopefully I'll finally find the magic hour/day/moonphase/whatever that will give a happier result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought an eBook from Borders Australia and encountered this error and got it resolved.

Keep trying again and again and make sure along the way you choose not to resume the previous download task.

For my case it worked at the fourth attempt.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines