Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Master Page Clarification

Contributor ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everyone!

Reading RH8's on-line doc lead me to believe that If I create a master page and apply it to an existing topic, the styles I formatted in the master page will be applied to the topic. However, I discovered that I still have to go into each topic and re-apply the style changes manually. I thought the master page would apply it automatically, thus saving time. Also generating webhelp with the Apply to All Topics activated and using the master page did not apply the changes.

The master page I created only has style changes, no mini-TOC, no breadcrumgs, just styles.

Did I read the documentation wrong or am I not applying the master page corectly?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the RH 8 Help:

"When you create a topic using a master page, the body content is placed in the resulting topic. If you apply a master page to an existing topic, the body content is ignored." [My emphasis] That is, only the headers/footers are changed/updated when you apply a master page after the fact; the body content (which includes the different styles) is not.

It's a shame that RH decided to rename Templates to Master Pages in RH 8, because "template" is more descriptive of their functionality.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Leon, I think the dev team was trying to better align RoboHelp with Framemaker on that renaming bit.

As for the styles, did you ensure the desired Style Sheet has been associated with the Master Page? As Leon said, the Master Page won't have any effect on text in the Body placeholder, but if you have a Style Sheet associated, the Body Text should adapt to the rules declared in the CSS.

But it would seem a convoluted thing to do to apply a Master Page with topics if all you want is the CSS styling. Just associate the desired CSS file if that's what you are hoping for.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon and Rick,

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the master page is linked to a CSS.

I thought/hoped the master page would work like a Word template; you change a style in a Word template, open a document that has that template attached to it and the changes to the style are made just by opening the document. In RH opening the topic does not automatically apply the change in the CSS to the style in the topic; I have to manually re-apply each and every style.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said before, anything done to the body of a master page only influences the body in subsequent new topic creation, not previously created topics; that is, the cord is cut immediately after birth.

Therefore, the right method is to follow Rick's advice about associating the desired CSS file.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark

I see a potential for some confusion here.

Styling your project should behave exactly as you describe. It really shouldn't make a difference whether the CSS has been associated by virtue of associating a Master Page that also has the CSS associated or whether the CSS was associated independently. The key is to establish the relationship.

Inside your topics you apply styling via Heading One, Two or Three. Again, it really doesn't matter if the Heading One, Two or Three were present by virtue of being included in the Body Placeholder of the Master Page or if you apply the styles directly during the editing process. Either way a Heading 1 (if properly applied) is always a Heading One. So any changes to the CSS file containing the rules for formatting Heading One are applied across the board.

The key is to consistently apply the styles and to always update the CSS file that is associated. That way the changes "Cascade" across any linked topics. So any topic containing text with a Heading One style would be updated to reflect whatever changes you made to that style.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back from a long vacation, sorry I did not reply sooner.

Thanks for all of your suggestions, they were helpful.  I did discover that my issue with master pages, cascading style sheets and formatting came down to the issue of bulleted and numbered lists. All other formats changed automatically when applying a global master page; only bulleted and numbered lists do not "take".

Thanks to Neil Perlin at HyperWord Services for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, would it help to create a link to Neil Perlin's topic or did you liaise directly with him?

So if you create a topic linked to a CSS where the bullet styling is say a square bullet, then you link to a Master Page that is linked to a different CSS where the bullet styling is say a round bullet, the bullets remain square, is that the situation?

Is it the same in the Design Editor, in Preview and in the generated WebHelp?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Yes, the bullet style does not change.

I spoke to Neil directly.

Thanks for the follow-up. Forgive the delay in replying.

Mark

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 23:45:35 -0600

To: steelcasemark@hotmail.com

Subject: WebHelp Master Page Clarification

First, would it help to create a link to Neil Perlin's topic or did you liaise directly with him?

So if you create a topic linked to a CSS where the bullet styling is say a square bullet, then you link to a Master Page that is linked to a different CSS where the bullet styling is say a round bullet, the bullets remain square, is that the situation?

Is it the same in the Design Editor, in Preview and in the generated WebHelp?

----

See http://www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

http://twitter.com/petergrainge

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2010 Aug 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Create a new project with a topic and a master page using the same CSS.

Is the problem the same? If it is, see my contact page and send me the new project.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp