Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Losing tails of descenders on converting from RHX5 to RH8

Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. We are just converting from RH X5, which I've been happily using since about 2004, to RH8. One of the obvious problems that immediately arose is that in the compiled output, tails of descender letters like p, q, g, j, and y are getting cut off. I don't see this either when editing or when I view the pages in Preview using the eyeglass icon, only in the compiled output. I would appreciate it if anyone has a solution to this problem. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs or WebHelp? If the latter, have you tried in more than one browser?

Also, with a copy of the project, try a different CSS.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I probably was not sufficiently clear in my original question. Under RH5, we were compiling some projects as .CHMs and others as WebHelp. I always use the same style sheet that I developed for all our help. The output in RH5 looked identical no matter which format we compiled to.

1. With RH8, compiling as .CHM still works perfectly. But I need WebHelp for most of our projects as this point, and compiling as WebHelp using the same CSS gives a number of problems including the descenders. But sometimes they look fine and other times not, and I can't see exactly why as the paragraph specifications are identical. There are some other issues that I'm noticing:
  2. The font I am using for my body text looks smaller in the compiled WebHelp.
  3. The leading appears more cramped.
  4. Centered tables with left-justified text are now appearing as center-justified text. (I have found that if I left-justify the table, this is resolved. But I've got dozens of tables that would need adjusting.)
  5. Graphics entered within a sentence (i.e., small icons) are not staying in position; they move left and cover up actual text.
  6. Bulleted lists are not retaining the paragraph indentation I expect.

Would I be best off creating a new CSS in RH8 that keeps the formatting I want? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited your post to apply numbers to make answering easier now that  you have added more issues.

1. The descenders problem is a bit of a mystery but I suspect it will be overcome in the dealing with the other issues. Let's put that on the back burner for now.
  2. I just compiled a project to compare a CHM with WebHelp using the same CSS and there is some difference. They have different viewers so not too surprised by that. You can always use a modified CSS when you generate from RH8 and use that for CHMs is the difference is unacceptable to you.
  3. I am not seeing that in a test. Try the supplied samples and see if you get the difference with those. You will find the samples at
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US
    or
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US
    If you don't, then we are back to examing your CSS.
  4. See Item 24 at  http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm
  5. That sounds like an inline styling issue. Right click the image and check.
  6. See Item 25 at  http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm

Because of 6 above, I suggest you create a copy of your project and then clean up the existing CSS. When you have done that, see where you are with the other issues. Also look inside your topics for signs of inline styling and any embedded CSS.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. It will take a little while to try all of these suggestions, but I'll let you know

in a day or two where things stand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it will take some time.

Come back when you are ready.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just checked the Convert RH Topics to HTML option and it appears to have corrected every one of these six issues in IE8 (and our company's policy is only to support IE). I have a few other questions that I'll post tomorrow, but this is a very good start. Thank you, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically it means your code is not XHTML compliant but if that workaround is good for you...

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I understand. I'll have to look at your point 25 when I have a bit more time, but for now the immediate problem appears to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp