Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with line break after importing html files

Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After importing html files in my Robohelp HTML project (using Robohelp 8), i have problems with

line breaks. This is the text in my "original" file:

<li style="font-size: 10pt;"><p class="Absatz_AV" style="margin-left: 11.75pt;"><font style="font-family: 'Courier New'; font-weight: bold;" face="Courier New">NewTSConnection</font> creates a new object for a connection to the <?rh-udv_start name="SERVER" ?>%SERVER%<?rh-udv_end ?>.</p></li>

After importing, the text has line breaks:

<li style="font-size: 10pt;"><p class="Absatz_AV" style="margin-left: 11.75pt;"><font
  style="font-family: 'Courier New'; font-weight: bold;" face="Courier New">NewTSConnection</font>
  creates a new object for a connection to the <?rh-udv_start name="SERVER" ?>%SERVER%<?rh-udv_end ?>
  .</p></li>

This results in a dispensable blank:

NewTSConnection creates a new object for a connection to the %SERVER% .

How can I avoid this line breaks or the dispensable blank?

Thanks a lot for all suggestions.

Lisa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a variable called SERVER with a value of %SERVER%, then pasted in your code.

Editors will display the code in different ways so all that matters is the end result. By "dispensable blank" I assume you are referring to the space between the variable value and the full stop. Are you sure the space is not part of the variable?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "dispensable blank" I assume you are referring to the space between the variable value and the full stop.

Yes, my problem is the space between the variable and the full stop. I am sure, the space is not part of the variable.

Content of rhvariable.apj:

<variable>
   <name>SERVER</name>
   <value>%SERVER%</value>
  </variable>

I have already changed the value of the variable, but the problem is still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, all I did was create the same variable and paste in what you posted.

I guess trying the same yourself in a new project with the default CSS would be the next thing.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, thank you for your answers.

I created a new project and imported my files. The problem is the same. When I copy the code of the "original file" in a existing topic, everything is o.k. It´s the Import function, which causes the problem.

I try to explain my problem in other words:

I get the files from my translater. The files are all right, there is no space between the variable and the full stop.

But after importing the files in my project, (using the Import function in Pod Project Manager), there is a space between the variable and the full stop. I have to controll and edit every new topic I imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send me one of the files that you would import?

See the Contact page on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported your file and got the same problem.

Then I created a topic in another RoboHelp  project with a variable followed by a full stop. Same problem.

Thus it is not anything to do with what your translater has given you.

The bug is that if an HTM file is imported containing a variable followed by a full stop, a space that was not in the source is added between the variable and the full stop.

Please follow this link and report the bug.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help, Peter!

I reported this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this extra space as a variable the same bug that is noted in the thread below?  Anytime topics are imported with variables at the end of a sentence (before punctuation) an extra space is inserted.  Sometimes it happens just when a topic is opened that had already been cleaned.  It can get annoying.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/679218

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2011 Feb 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm wondering if you have gotten anywhere with resolving this issue, because I'm experiencing the same problem

with many help projects after upgrading. What's worse is I went in and manually remove the spaces before periods and commas after a variable and it removed the puntuation altogether!

It looks like it's only happening when the variable followed by the punctuation falls at the end of the line in the HTML code.

I submitted a bug as suggested, but I'm wondering if there has been any followup from Adobe on the issue or if anyone has any other insights into how to fix the problem.

Thanks.

Natasha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp