Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible to bend a text line?

Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Is there a way to animate a bend of a text line? I have tried a bunch of distortion tools in AE but non work like I want to. I suspect that this could be done with some sort of type on path and the animate the path. Any example would be great pointing me in the right direction.

Regards / Jimmy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Remember my first post. Make your text layer, draw a mask, set some keyframes, attach the text to the path.

Here's two screenshots. Took longer to figure out how to spell your text than to do the animation.

Straight.png

Curved.png

You should be able to figure it out. I actually created a circular mask first, selected 2 points, then selected open in the mask options (right click the mask in the timeline) then deleted one other point to give me a perfect semi circle. I then set a keyframe, moved to a spot earlier in the ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that you're right that text on a path might be the best way, depending on what you're doing.

You might try the Puppet tools, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I am dictating this answer to my iPhone so everything thing might not exactly be right but here's what I would do. I would create a new text layer.  Type in your copy then use the pen tool to draw a curved path. Then I would press the M key to reveal the mask properties. I would set a key frame. Then I would go down the timeline and adjust the mask to animate the curve. Then I would attach text to the mask and that's all there should be to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But how exactly do you want it to work? While masks may be an option, there may be several other, simpler or at least more structured techniques then animating a path from hand...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made the animation in 3ds Max 2011, and it looks like this:

http://www.alenius.nu/ae/ae_bend_text/

The bend tool in 3ds Max is really nice. But it would be great to do it inside AE instead.

Regards / Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember my first post. Make your text layer, draw a mask, set some keyframes, attach the text to the path.

Here's two screenshots. Took longer to figure out how to spell your text than to do the animation.

Straight.png

Curved.png

You should be able to figure it out. I actually created a circular mask first, selected 2 points, then selected open in the mask options (right click the mask in the timeline) then deleted one other point to give me a perfect semi circle. I then set a keyframe, moved to a spot earlier in the timeline and edited the curve to form a straight line with 3 points.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I did it with path and it look great! Do you know if there are plugins for AE that can distort a object like that (say I want to bend a image)?

Regards / Jimmy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Puppet Tool

Mesh warp

DigiEffects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines