• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

AI Vector files imported into AE have rough edges DESPITE selecting continuously rasterize layer

Aug 24, 2010 Aug 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am importing some illustrator files into after effects. No matter what I do, I cannot get them to remain vector. The edges are pixelated.

I have the resolution set to "full." The quality of the layer is set to "best." And following the advice from every other forum on the topic, I have enabled "Continuosly Rasterize" for the layer. Still my image looks terrible.

I have been browsing the web for two days now and I keeping finding that people with the same issue just aren't selecting "continuously rasterize" for their layer. However, I always do this and for whatever reason, it's not working. There is no difference when the continuously rasterize option is selected or not.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show a screenshot including your entire Composition panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that there are no effects applied to your paths in Illustrator. Many effects cause AE to rasterize the path.

If that doesn't clean things up check the interpretation of the footage. At the bottom of the panel you'll see a button called More Options. Click that and set anti aliasing from Faster to More Accurate.

If that still does not work try turning off Open GL. If your footage .ai layers don't look great at 100% scale then you may have Open GL issues. They crop up with the art is way too small. Generally your file should be at least as big as your comp. IOW, SD .ai artwork should have an artboard or document size close to 700 points / or pixels by 400 points / pixels.

I hope this helps.

Screen shot 2010-08-24 at 8.15.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 25, 2010 Aug 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they actualy vectors? You know, one can embed pixel graphics in AI as well plus AI uses bitmap effects for drop shadows and that... Just because it is an AI file doesn't mean nit has infinite resolution...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you've got pixel aspect ratio correction turned on for your comp?

If so, try rendering out a quick test segment. The issue may not be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Szalam's suggestion is one of the several that made me ask for a screenshot of the Composition panel.

Also, I just want to check to see whether the pixelation is happening during scaling (which it shoudn't) or during a zoom in the Composition panel (which is normal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

856.PNG

Hello Adobe

Thanks for your assistance. I am having the same issue with completely vector (.ai) layers. Whenever I resize or zoom it in, It gets pixelated or blur and this is happening with the render also. I have also attached the vector file. Further the artboard size in illustrator is same as the comp size in after effects.456.PNG

Please suggest suitable solution.

Many Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found this post while trying to solve the same issue. The answers given above no doubt helped things a bit, but I later found a perfect solution. I'll mention it here for anyone else who wanders by!

In the composition there is a star icon. It toggles whether rasterizing is continuous or not. Clicking that cell to enable the option completely fixes vector assets:

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 6.36.15 PM.png

Ha! Edit: Although the thing that solved it for me wasn't mentioned in any of the answers, it was stated as part of the title! So, if you haven't tried the continuous rasterize, do try it, even if it didn't work as well for the poster of this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed! Rick and Todd, both of your suggestions helped.

Todd, I realized that in some instances I was zooming and not scaling. Making sure I always scaled improved the quality quite a bit. But even when I scaled the graphics, they still didn't have the same quality that I have gotten in the past with previous vectors. So I then selected interpret footage and set the antialiasing for my eps options to "more accurate," as Rick suggested.

I've now got the quality I know the images should have.

Such a relief. Thanks for all your help, everyone!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines