29 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2010 2:05 PM by - JM - RSS

lots of errors Bridge CS5

- JM - Community Member

I thought that I had bypassed most of the CS5 errors but it seems that as soon as I went to the output module in Bridge 4.0.2 and now 4.0.3x problems started. Now when I try to open Bridge I get a bunch of errors, see attachments below. If I do try to push forward and open Bridge and attempt outputting a simple pdf I get an error that now enough space... and there is plenty on startup, doc and app drives 300GB free on each.

I checked the permissions of the folder, rebuilt disk permissions and they seem to be OK, PS is working OK. 10.6.4 + graphics update, 18GB ram, quad-core intel MacPro

any thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

bridge_error.jpg

bridge6.jpgbridge7.jpgbridge10.jpg

• 1. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
          Omke Oudeman Community Member

I checked the permissions of the folder, rebuilt disk permissions and they

seem to be OK, PS is working OK. 10.6.4 + graphics update, 18GB ram, quad-core

intel MacPro

any thoughts would be appreciated.

Don't understand the messages but it seems script related to me. In your

list of solutions I did not find resetting the preferences.

Quit Bridge and restart it with option key pressed. Then choose reset

preferences.

On seconds thoughts, it might also a good idea to first do this also for

Photoshop itself, holding down shift + option + cmd key and choose to delete

preferences. Set them again to your wishes, restart PS if you have made

changes that need a restart before being applied (memory and scratch)

Then reset Bridge prefs as described above and try again.

• 2. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
            - JM - Community Member

thanks for the suggestion, I just tried them, but unfortunately same problems.

keep thinking

• 3. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

but unfortunately same problems.

Sorry to hear that. Could you provide a screenshot of your start up section

in Bridge Prefs?

• 4. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                - JM - Community Member

Hi

I turned off all of the startup scripts and it runs fine, but when I turn on just the Output Module ( the only startup script enabled) and try to use it this is where my problem occurs.

Can I reinstall Bridge without reinstalling the entire suite?

• 5. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

Can I reinstall Bridge without reinstalling the entire suite?

Sadly you can't uninstall and Bridge itself as it did in CS4 but you don't

need to reinstall the whole suite. I tried it once with just uninstall PS

and the reinstall PS again, that worked fine.

Be sure to back up your workspaces, actions and presets, 3th party plug in

and filters etc for PS before uninstall.

See also this KB article:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82893.html

• 6. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                    - JM - Community Member

If I remove the offending script all of the errors disappear but that may not be the problem because the script that I need to remove is the main interface for the Output module, it appears to be the recent 8/10/10 version

amgMain.jsxinc

amgmain_jsx.jpg

• 7. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                      - JM - Community Member

is the error that is being reported correct?

dropdown.onChange not a function?

• 8. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

is the error that is being report correct?

dropdown.onChange not a function?

Here is where it ends for me, I have less to none knowledge about scripting

and Java

Maybe Paul Rigott will hop in or you might take your change in reinstall PS

and bridge (about 10 minutes work)

BTW

Also try first to delete the plist file for both PS and Bridge. Quit both

apps and look for those files in the user library preferences folder. Try

again if that helped.

• 9. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                          - JM - Community Member

>Here is where it ends for me, I have less to none knowledge about scripting

and Java

I know what you mean, but it seems odd to be stuck on a javascript error in the new script that was just released...

thanks for your help.

best regards

• 10. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                            Paul Riggott Community Member

It still looks as if the problem is creating the workarea (permissions), can you create this folder? All the other messages could be a red herring, normally it is best to fix the first error then see what happens.

• 11. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                              - JM - Community Member

Hi Paul

I created the mediagallery folder within the Users/library/Application Support/Adobe/Bridge CS5/Adobe Output Module/MediaGallery

I get the following error when starting Bridge in the Output module ( Essentials etc. is not effected)

first the type error:

error1.jpg

and then the script error

error2.jpg

so far I've repaired the permissions and ACL's via the SL dvd, reinstall the suite. It seems that I've missed something, because I'm back in the same place.

thanks

• 12. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

It really is a nasty one, I wonder if you have tried creating another user account and trying from that?

• 13. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                  - JM - Community Member

Hi Paul

first, thanks for you time.

>I wonder if you have tried creating another user account and trying from that?

I haven't yet, but it's between that or a new install. I'm a bit busy with projects so I can avoid the output module for awhile but I'm concerned that this may be a symptom of another problem, so I still looking to fix it.

If I create a new user, will the Adobe suite require a new license, or does it pull up the existing suite serial as it does now?

I'm surprised to see that Bridge doesn't have an uninstaller, or a separate installer. I tried to just uninstall PS and reinstall hoping that it would install Bridge but it didn't.

thanks again

j

• 14. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

You should be fine, no new serial required. If it still doesn't work using a new user account I think you will need the assistance of Adobe support.

• 15. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                      - JM - Community Member

thanks,

I found the kb tech note on new user:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404927.html

I'll bug Adobe if I don't have any luck.

best regards.

j

• 16. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                        - JM - Community Member

bridge worked under a new user.

I wonder if the permissions problems with the CS5 install are not quite fixed. Is there any process where I could move my existing account files to this new account?

• 17. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

Sorry can't help you there, I hate Macs! I have two of them but only turn them on if I need to test something

• 18. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

I wonder if the permissions problems with the CS5 install are not quite fixed.

Is there any process where I could move my existing account files to this new

account?

Should have thought of the new user option...

A solution for that will be an Archive and install for your current system.

Use the original install disk for your OS and start up from this disk. In

the options choose for archive and install. This creates a new user library

and makes a copy of the old one.

You can download the combo update from the Apple Download site for the

latest OS version and be back in business within the hour. (assuming that

you already have a back up of all your important files and settings because

you need that for security just in the very rare case of failure with this

method)

• 19. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                              - JM - Community Member

Hi Omke

I'll give it a try, I already tried the SL DVD to rebuild permissions and ACLs on the user but it didn't work. So it's still possible that something else in the User Library is creating the conflict, not just permissions. Thanks for the tip it's worth a try.

j

• 20. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

Sorry can't help you there, I hate Macs!

And I just started to like you.....

• 21. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                  speeves1 Community Member

Hi all,

We are having the exact issues here, and logged in as a different user, which didn't fix our problem. We also tried resetting PS and Bridge preferences, and creating the Adobe Output Module/MediaGallery folder,  but to no avail.

Does anyone have any other ideas for a work-around?
                                                  thanks,
                                                  speeves

• 22. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                    - JM - Community Member

which of the errors above are you experiencing?  I found that I had 2 different problems so the fix was 2 very different things.

I was able fix the first set of errors by reinstalling the CS Suite after using the "cleaner tool". I had reinstalled the Suite without the "cleaner tool" and it didn't resolve the problem.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/829/cpsid_82947.html

Here's the follow up thread of what I did with the remaining errors:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/708719?tstart=0

The remaining problems/errors that I received are because of a Windows computer being mounted on my desktop. It's a very repeatable problem and I ran into it today. Fortunately I only need to unmount that Windows 7 folder ( btw if I mount a Windows XP folder on my desktop I don't get the error).

It was really a pain to uncover the problem, but the good news is that 12.0.1 looks like a good version. So there is a positive end result. Unless Adobe is secretly working on the network problem I assume that I will just live with having to mount/unmount the network folder when needed. BTW, I am not accessing the folder with the suite, I am not working on any images via the network, just having it mounted causes the error.

good luck.

edit-  make sure that you follow the instructions to uninstall using the Adobe uninstaller, then run the CS Cleaner.

• 23. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                      - JM - Community Member

I just had a thought are you using Dr Browns Services 2.0.4 script? Not that this is the problem but a way to confirm which problem it may be.

http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts.html

The second part of my problem (Windows 7 folder on desktop) with AOM also effected the 1-2-3 script. The problem with the script is that it won't write or read the xml file so folder settings and previous setup is not saved and needs to be reset each time. But again, when I unmount the Windows 7 computer the script works fine. So Bridge AOM and Brown's script, 2 unrelated things effected by the same problem. It may just be my network setup and not the Win7 computer or the Mac OS, but something is wrong.

regards

j

• 24. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

Thanks, J!  Our issue was caused by Windows/CIFS network shares mounted on the desktop. Once we unmounted the CIFS shares, all javascript, and disk storage errors went away. Interestingly enough, we also have a CIFS share, (also from a Netapp), which has UNIX-enabled security, and which does not cause Bridge to throw any errors when saving through the Output module...

So to sum-up:

1. Bridge CS5 is throwing the same error messages on startup, and when using the Output module to save to the local harddrive, as posted by <JM> at the start of this thread.

2. The errors are fixed by unmounting any Windows-security enabled CIFS shares, in our case, from a Netapp.

3. UNIX-security enabled CIFS shares from the same Netapp do not cause any errors.

Like <JM> we were not trying to access any of the network shares, and were trying to save to /Users/ouruser/Documents/, which are on the local harddrive.

• 25. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                          - JM - Community Member

speeves1

I appreciate you following up with your situation. I almost assumed that there was a quirk with my setup. I was fortunate to have the login within the User startup items so when the new User account worked it pointed to a limited set of possibilities. But it was definitely a surprise to see how a seemingly unrelated thing would kick out an error in Bridge.

Adobe -  any thoughts on this error?  is this a known problem?

thanks.

j

• 26. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                            - JM - Community Member

speeves

>all javascript, and disk storage errors went away.

were all of the errors limited to Bridge and/or CS Suite, or did you see any errors with non-Adobe apps?

thanks

j

• 27. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5

>were all of the errors limited to Bridge and/or CS Suite, or did you see any errors with non-Adobe apps?

We didn't have any issues with any other CS Suite application, nor non-Adobe apps. They were confined to Adobe Bridge CS5.

speeves

• 28. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                                - JM - Community Member

thanks, that's what I found too. Although the Dr Brown's 1-2-3 script when called directly from File>Scripts within CS5 PS would exhibit the problem when the Win7 computer mounted, so I guess it extends slightly beyond Bridge.

regards, j

• 29. Re: lots of errors Bridge CS5
                                                                  - JM - Community Member

and the Image Processor Script which probably shares code with the Dr Browns Script.