Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

conditional text - excluding navigational buttons

New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm running robohelp 8.0.208.

i've created a webhelp system that displays hyperlinked buttons on each topic page for previous, next and TOC.

however, i'd like for these to display only in the context-sensitive help (when a single topic is selected and viewed).

is there a way to tag these buttons so that they don't show on each topic when the user views the entire system?

any help you can give would be much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way built into RoboHelp and nothing I have seen posted. Build tags are used to exclude content from the output completely. You cannot use them to include / exclude according to how the help is called.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

As my colleague and fellow Adobe Community Professional Peter said, you certainly can't use Conditional Text for this.

However, this sounds as if you generated WebHelp using Traditional - No Skin as the option?

Note that if a topic is not part of a Browse Sequence, you should not see the Previous and Next buttons. Those are only present if the topic is part of a Browse Sequence.

If you generated WebHelp using a Skin, you normally don't see the "Hide TOC/Show TOC" or whatever it's labeled, unless the topic is being viewed as a standalone topic and not in the WebHelp frameset.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 moments from now - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes - i did generate the webhelp using traditional - no skin as an option. but i did create a browse sequence. i used conditional text to hide the navigation buttons. i thought (hoped) that if each topic were called individually, outside of the compiled/generated html project, that the navigation buttons would display.

are you sure that there's no way to do this? or maybe there's a workaround? i did copy the entire system (without the navigation buttons), renamed it, and linked out to that for the TOC button. these two systems can live inside the web app, although that might leave a big footprint. 

do you think that will work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Okay, so your post concerns me a bit. Here's why.

You said:

i used conditional text to hide the navigation buttons.

See, the thing is, those buttons are created during the process of generating WebHelp and you should never ever see them when you are making edits.

Think of it like this. You are using RoboHelp as you would a kitchen. Perhaps you are making cupcakes. Cupcakes are like your WebHelp output. As you mix the batter for the cupcakes you say you don't want icing on there too. But icing shouldn't be part of the batter, should it? Nope, the icing is added as a last step after the cupcakes are baked.

So your comment seems to indicate that you have WebHelp output files that have replaced the source content. And if that's what has happened, you are in for some trouble down the road.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I used images for buttons, and then hyperlinked them to the previous and next topics in the TOC. That's why I can still see them in edit mode. But because I tagged them as conditional text, they display in edit mode with hash marks through them. they don't show when I generate the project.

Do you suggest that I abandon the notion of having navigation on each (individually-called) topic page, and just have a close window button? I thought Robohelp was more powerful than that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm really confused at this point. You seem to be under the impression that you must manually create things that RoboHelp is able to create for you. Then you are complaining that you thought RoboHelp was more powerful than that. So I'm missing something.

Certainly you are free to create any buttons you like in your topics. The issue seems to be that when the topic is opened on its own via a context sensitive call, you don't wish to see the buttons. Am I correct?

RoboHelp allows you to create a Browse Sequence. That sequence may mirror the TOC structure if you like and it's super simple to accomplish. When you generate WebHelp, you then choose whether to include Browse Sequences or not. If you have included the sequences, the buttons are added to the topics.

The trick is making them disappear when a context sensitive call is made. So my thought was that if you decided to generate WebHelp using a skin, the buttons no longer appear in the topics themselves. Instead, they appear in the navigation mini-toolbar that you only see when the full WebHelp frameset is loaded up. This would make them only available when the user sees the full WebHelp and they would not be present in a Context Sensitive call.

In a skinned setup you have an option of including a "Navigation pane link in topics". If this is enabled and the topic is viewed standalone (as it normally is in a Context Sensitive call) then your user sees a link they may click that opens the surrounding frameset with the topic inside. And the link then disappears when that happens.

Not sure if I've helped or only muddied the waters here. But the intent was to help... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcererStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you so much for sticking with me on this... you've got what i'm trying to do, but you have it reversed. i'm trying to create individual topics with navigation buttons that display when you open an individual topic.

but when the user opens the entire, compiled system, i don't want the navigation buttons to display at all. also, i have created a browse sequence, and i generate with Traditional - No Skin.

what am i doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp