Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading files to user

Explorer ,
May 12, 2006 May 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am using Flex front end in conjunction with CF backend to create a file, then download it to the user. The series of events is:

Flex calls the first CF page using LoadVars:
my_lv.send("filemaker.cfm","new1","POST");"

The filemaker runs a query and creates a file on the server, then calls a download page, passing it the file name like so:
<SCRIPT language="JavaScript1.2" type="text/javascript">
window.open("sendfiletouser.cfm?outputfile=<CFOUTPUT>#URLEncodedFormat(OutputFile)#</cfoutput>","new1");
</SCRIPT>

The sendfiletouser.cfm basically uses a CFHEADER/CFCONTENT combo to squirt the file to the user (obviously I set the variables properly)
<CFHEADER name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment; filename=#FileName#">
<CFCONTENT type="#MimeType#" file="#OutputFile#" deletefile="yes">

It works GREAT! Files go out exactly how they need. Except….

There is a window left behind. Yuck. I don't want to over-write the Flex ap running so I need a new window. I could use frames, creating a zero height frame to "hold" the new1 window name but I really don't want to do that. I can't write out code following the cfcontent so.....

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or another way of sending a file out to the user from CF without leaving a window behind?

Cheers!

TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 21, 2006 Jun 21, 2006
No and yes. I was unable to find any way to close the window. I tried more techniques than you can imagine. Even rewrote the download to use JAVA. No luck. But...

I did solve the problem. I noticed that the Flex generated html code was using a zero height IFRAME to hold the history data. I just added another named IFRAME and pointed the loadvars.send at it. Works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
May 15, 2006 May 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should not need the popup window. Just call the sendfiletouser.cfm file directly from the first page. The CFHEADER/CFCONTENT will spawn the download prompt window. Try this as an example:

<form method="post" action="##">
<input type="text" name="enc_key" value="123">
<input type="submit">
</form>

<cfif IsDefined("Form.enc_key")>
<cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value='attachment; filename="key.key"'>
<cfcontent type="unknown"><cfoutput>#Form.enc_key#</cfoutput>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the filemaker.cfm that is causing the problem. It is the loadvars. The send method creates a window called "new1". The window.open in filemaker writes to this window. The CFCONTENT (wherever it is) prevents me from writing out code to close the "new1" window.

Trick would be to download the file automatically without using CFHEADER/CFCONTENT so control of the window could be retained. I was thinking maybe some JavaScript or even a Java process (I am not Java literate but I bet there would be a way)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

var fileWin = window.open("sendfiletouser.cfm?outputfile=<CFOUTPUT>#URLEncodedFormat(OutputFile)#</cfoutput>","new1",'toolbars=no,resizeable=no,width=10,height=10,left=-20,top=-20');
setTimeout("fileWin.close()",3000);
</SCRIPT>

I added some more params to your popup in case you wanted to hide it

jam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good part is it does close the window. Bad part is it pops up a message asking wheter or not the user wants to close the window. If they pick yes, then no download. If no, the window is still left behind. I added more time to the timeout which helped.

I think you are are on the right track. What would be really good is if the close method could be fired when the download is complete. I don't know if that event is available......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 16, 2006 May 16, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you serving an actual file on the server to the user or using CFCONTENT to serve dynamically built data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 22, 2006 May 22, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
Try this:
In 'filemaker.cfm' place a hidden form:

<form name = "aForm" action="sendfiletouser.cfm" method="post" onsubmit="return getFiles(this);">
<input type="Hidden" name="theFile" value="<CFOUTPUT>#URLEncodedFormat(OutputFile)#</cfoutput>">
(....other hidden fields for validation etc...)
</form>

...at the top of this page, your JS function can do some basic client validation but to simplify:

function getFiles(theForm) {
if (theForm.theFile != "") {
theForm.submit();
}
}
</SCRIPT>

...then in 'sendfiletouser.cfm' ...
<CFIF isDefined("FORM.theFile") AND Len(Trim(FORM.theFile)) GT 1>
<CFHEADER name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment; filename=#Trim(FORM.theFile)#">
<CFCONTENT type="#MimeType#" file="#Trim(FORM.theFile)#" deletefile="yes">
</CFIF>

This method does not involve a popup window at all - and because the action page returns CFCONTENT, the posting page remains where it is...
(Works in IE5+, NS6+, Firefox 1.0.4+, Mozilla 1.7.5+)

)

Jam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already went down this path. That is the reason why there is a sendfiletouser.cfm in the first place -- to allow me to use CFCONTENT.

The problem is that I WANT to close the posting page (filemaker.cfm) window. The popup window is being created by the FLEX application. I have no choice but to create the popup that way since I don't want my FLEX app over-written. Flex uses loadvars to fire filemake.cfm into the popup. Filemaker.cfm runs and in turn downloads the file to the user using sendfiletouser.cfm. I am left with an empty window that I can't seem to close.

I need an event in sendfiletouser.cfm that is triggered when the user download via CFCONTENT is complete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I figured it out, try this:

//create variable containing new2 window open, attributes make window 'disappear'
var new2 = window.open('sendfiletouser.cfm?outputfile=<CFOUTPUT>#URLEncodedFormat(OutputFile)#</cfoutput>','n_new2','width=1,height=1,screenx=-2000,screeny=-2000,left=-2000,
top=2000,z-lock=0,status=0,titlebar=0,location=0,toolbar=0,menubar=0,
scrollBars=0,alwaysLowered=false,resizeable=0');

function close_em(){ //this function gets called by setTimeout
//while new1 open, keep trying to close new2
while(window.opener != null && !window.opener.closed){
new2.close();
if(new2.closed){ //if new2 is closed, close new1
window.opener=null;
window.close();
}
}
}
//wait two seconds before checking window state, give sendfiletouser.cfm time to process, increase if necessary
setTimeout("close_em()",2000);
</SCRIPT>

This SHOULD work, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was already proposed by DJ Jamba and tested by me. Check the thread for 5/15/06.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2006 May 23, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you are going to find an easy resolution to this without changing the FLEX logic - however, seeing as my first post was 'on the right track', how about this:

USUALLY when JS executes a window.close(), you should only get the warning if you have toolbars etc. If your FLEX app creates a popup without toolbars,scrollbars, statusbar etc - you should not get the window closing warning.

Is it not possible for you to create a popup function in your FLEX app and pass the URL to this, then take the script from my first post and try that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh -- that would explain all the nag screens! I just learned something!

I am using a LoadVars.send in the FLEX application. I have no control over the window with LoadVars. I will look at changing it over to a getURL("javascript pen(code here)) format in order to get control of the popup window. Let me dig into this and post my results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try adding the last two window lines and see if it works:

window.open("sendfiletouser.cfm?outputfile=<CFOUTPUT>#URLEncodedFormat(OutputFile)#</cfoutput>","new1");
window.opener=null;
window.close();"
</SCRIPT>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that shut the window the instant it loaded, giving no time for the user to download the file.

The filemaker.cfm creates a file on the server. The sendfiletouser.cfm uses CFHEADER/CFCONTENT to download it to the user.

I guess what I'm looking for is a window event that I can trap when the download is complete or the user cancels. Or a JAVA way of doing this so I can avoid CFCONTENT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beauty of CFCONTENT is that you can delete the file after you serve it, I understand. I think I may have the answer.

Add the 'openercheck' line to your JavaScript in your filemaker.cfm file.

openercheck = window.open("open_check.cfm?called=y","closeall","width=0,height=0,x=-2000,y=-2000");
</SCRIPT>

Create a file in the same directory called open_check.cfm consisting of:

<cfif IsDefined("URL.called")>
opener.close();
window.close();
}
</script>
</cfif>

How this should work is 'openercheck' will be a window that will monitor 'new1' since 'new1' is it's opener. I sized 'openercheck' window small and placed it off the viewable browser space so user will not see it. The 'openercheck' window will continually monitor the state of it's opener (new1) and keep trying to close it (it will be unable to close it while the file download prompt is displayed to the user; when the user clicks Save, the 'openercheck' window will have the opportunity to close it's opener (new1) and itself. But the file save screen will still be active so the user can finish downloading the file.

You will notice the open_check.cfm?called=y line, this is to let open_check.cfm know it WAS called. So if someone runs open_check.cfm via mysite.com/open_check.cfm it will not execute the JavaScript; since the script is a continuous loop.

Since 'new1' is a spawned window via your .send command, we should be able to close it. Hopefully, this will work. Let me know either way if you can. I've only tested in IE6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2006 May 17, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it and it wasn't workable because IE keeps throwing up a window saying:

The web page you are viewing is trying to close the window
Do you want to close the window?

It does this while the file open/save window is up. If they save and then say yes to the nag screen, both windows close. But if they save yes before they download, both windows close and no download. This will confuse the users to no end.

I thnk the only reasonable way to close the window is to trap the download event directly but I don't know if this exists in the DOM. Or do a JAVA thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this, in your open_check.cfm file, put window.opener=null; before the opener.close(); line. If that doesn't work, add the window.opener=top; line.

window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();

window.opener = top;
window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();

See if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nag screen went away but the windows (two of them) don't close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be clear, use either/or of these, don't use all seven lines:

window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();

-or-

window.opener = top;
window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right.

I tried

window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();
}
</script>
</cfif>

AND

window.opener = top;
window.opener=null;
opener.close();
window.close();
}
</script>
</cfif>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2006 May 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seems to be the way 'new1' is opened. Try this, in filemaker.cfm, just put this:

<script>
window.opener=null;
window.close();
</script>

If that closes 'new1' right after it opens without a prompt, then we can go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2006 May 18, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It closed just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if it's anything like FLASH/actionscript:

(better to dynamically create the paramters but quick example)

getURL("javascript:window.open('filemaker.cfm','new1','height=400,width=400
,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no,statusbar=no,directories=no');");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup -- just have to figure out the the proper syntax to get the variables to transfer under a POST. I want to keep them hidden.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

really should use a form with hidden fields then

(the filemaker.cfm could submit hidden fields - but this may be too much of a change in your logic)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation