• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot create a snippet because directories in XP are Read Only.

Aug 30, 2010 Aug 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have read Windows directories in XP are ALWAYS Read Only and nothing can be done to change them.

So long as they are read only, RoboHelp7 says " Cannot create a topic in ....... because that directory is read only."

What can be done please?  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certain specific system directories may be Read Only but patently not all folders can be Read Only or you couldn't use your PC.

Where is your project stored?

If it is within Program Files which is where I have seen some people store it, then move the project folder so that you have something like C:\MyProject. Be careful you only move the project.

If in doubt, enlist IT support.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I'm not in Program Files.  I'm a couple of levels deep on my D drive but

even if I create C:\NewProject that directory is immediately Read Only.

I can write files to this new directory and save modifications to existing ones but RoboHelp cannot.

I read that XP marks them this way but that they are not really Read Only, just checked as such.

Yet Robohelp gets stuck on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not Robohelp's fault at all.

But if anyone else asks...

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

This article contains step-by-step instructions on how to use the Attrib command to work around the inability to view or to remove the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in WindowsXP, Windows Vista and in Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2011 Feb 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The answer was in the trick to convince Windows that the files in the folder are not read only. You need to work with the attrib command at the command prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp