Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH8 crashes on opening

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2010 Aug 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

My colleague can no longer open any help project on her PC. She had been working for several days on various RH8 projects when the problem occurred. On a morning, she could no longer open her projects.

What occurs is the following : she opens a project listed in the Starter or from its xpj file; the RH8 UI with the various pods displays normally, and after a few seconds, she gets the following message: "Robohep has encountered a problem and will be closed. ..." (my translation, the original message is in French). Error description is the following:

AppName: robohtml.exe AppVer: 8.0.0.203 ModName: msvcrt.dll

ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512 Offset: 00037fd4

We searched the forums and found a similar issue in the following post :

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/624745?tstart=30

We applied what Charles did, and the projects opened again. But the next day, the problem returned and my colleague has not been able to open any RH project since. Opening from the hhp file won't give better results.

She uses TCS 2, has all patches applied (current version is RH 8.0.2.208), with Windows XP Professional version 2002 and Service Pack 3. In fact, there are four of us with the same configuration, working on the same help projects, and the projects open normally on our PCs, except hers.

We've run anti-viruses. I've uninstalled TCS 2 (and some remnants of TCS 1.3) then reinstalled TCS 2 only, including the patches. I've also checked Peter Grainge's website for possible solutions, but none seem to apply has she has patch 802 installed. Our IT department has run a diagnosis but detected nothing.

Any idea what's happening here? Any help will be greatly appreciated as we can't think of anything else to try and solve this issue.

Dominique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The name of the problem DLL looks to be associated with source control.

Can your colleague create and work with a new project on the desktop or the sample projects?

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your prompt anwser.

We've just tried what you suggest, to no avail. Opening an RH sample project or creating a blank project on the desktop will result on RH8 crashing after a few seconds.

We don't use source control. I've looked for msvcrt.dll on our PCs, it can be found in various directories and under various versions. I made sure there was no difference between our PCs on this particular issue.

I'm stuck.

Any more suggestions?

Dominique

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this link may help. It suggests reinstalling that DLL.

The RoboColum(n)   @robocolumn   Colum McAndrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tortured my IT dpt again about this problem, and they found there was an issue with my colleague's Windows profile.

So they just changed her profile and everything was back to normal. They can't figure out what happened so suddenly with her profile, but she can work again with Robohelp. Problem solved... so far.

Thanks a lot to Colum and Peter for your help... It's when I told the IT I was about to fiddle with that dll and the registry that they reacted at last. ;o)

Dominique

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Usually frightens them to death.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp