• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table Autofit - Fixed Column Width not actually fixed when resize viewing window

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2010 Sep 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using RoboHelp x8.0.2.208

Generating HTML help (CHM)

Set the Autofit property for a table as Fixed Column Width

Generate the CHM file

The table starts as the size specified

If I resize the width of the HTML help viewer, the column width shrinks

I tested generating this project as WebHelp with the same results

I also went into the Table Properties and specified a Preferred Width for the overall table and for each column.

I thought this option would set the size of the table based on how I sized it in source and would not resize the table as the viewing window is resized (either the HTML help viewer for CHM or the web browser window for WebHelp).

It appears the actual behavior is to start at the size specified and resize columns as the viewing window is resized.

Can someone tell me if I am not setting something correctly?

As always, thanks for any assistance/direction.

Michael F Weart

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Setting a fixed width sets a hard width. This stays the same, regardless of the size of the window.Try selecting the 'Autofit to Window', this will set the table to 100% width of the current window and the table will scale. If you want the table or columns to scale, allways add the width in percentage, such as '25%'. That should do the trick.

Note: If the content of your table is larger than the width of the window (for say, an image) the table will stop scaling when the window becomes too small.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set the Autofit to Fixed Column Width.

When I resize the window when viewing the compiled help, the table still scales as I make the window smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Autofit" option apparently only applies to the Window size you have specified.

Once you reduce the window size, the HTML table protocol takes over:

WARNING, WARNING, WARNING!

1. I need "this much" space for the widest element in column 1, and I don't care what your settings are.
  2. Next, I need "this much" space for the widest element in column 2, and I don't care what your settings are.
  3. Next, I need "this much" space for the widest element in column 3, and I don't care what your settings are.
  4. Next, I need "this much" space for the widest element in column 4, and I don't care what your settings are.
  5. etc.
  6. etc.

By "widest element," I mean either an image or the longest text string with no separating spaces (ex: SYSTEM_DIAGNOSTICS_PARAMETER_EXTERNAL_ISSUER).

If you absolutely have to maintain the table the way you want, you might try creating it in a scrap topic, taking a screenshot, and saving that as a GIF file.

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I did come up with one way to hard code the width of the columns so they are not resized with window width ...

Create a dummy whitespace graphic the width of the column and place it within one of the cells of the column. This ensures that the column width will not be resized as the window size is modified. Not ideal but it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 02, 2010 Sep 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good on ya!

You might want to mark this post as Answered (helps other forum users in the future).

Good luck,

Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp